It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sean O'Brien 
Regional Junior Player

Post Re: Sean O'Brien
I have said it before - A team makes a coach, not a coach makes a team !!!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:

Its a bit like being a formula one driver, the best car normally wins, but if theres nothing much to choose between the cars, the driver is important.

I think NZ had the best car and the best driver but they *fupped* the pit stop up :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Blindside wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Its a bit like being a formula one driver, the best car normally wins, but if theres nothing much to choose between the cars, the driver is important.

I think NZ had the best car and the best driver but they *fupped* the pit stop up :D

The thing is too you look at some of the NZ players and wonder if at various times they would have even been looked at for NH teams. NH rugby for ages has been too conservative and wouldn't give a highly mobile hooker a 2nd look over one who could milk a few scrum penalties. NZ innovate and always look for their players to do more, for too long the NH has been content having players who are quite severely deficient in various aspects of their game because that is traditional for that position. I would not be surprised if in the future NZ front rowers are all semi-competent kickers too.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Having multi-skilled players is a fantastic idea.

:thumbup:

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 am

Bouch wrote:

Amazing how it's taken this long for other sides to realise forwards, particularly the front row, should all be able to pass accurately and even run into space.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Amazing how it's taken this long for other sides to realise forwards, particularly the front row, should all be able to pass accurately and even run into space.

In 2013, we had some Auckland Assistants come here to coach for a week or so, and after watching a game, we had a day of passing drills and offloads...no contact. They could believe how bad the basic handling skills were.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Langland Exile wrote:
Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

In 2013, we had some Auckland Assistants come here to coach for a week or so, and after watching a game, we had a day of passing drills and offloads...no contact. They could believe how bad the basic handling skills were.

Was that in Wales or the US?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
I think its reasonably healthy, Gatland and to a lesser extent Howley have come out of it with a great deal of credit, they achieved far more than was expected by the bookies, so they confounded the odds and the expert opinions that those odds are based on. However we have had a little insight into opinions and that is they are not universally respected as prime movers of the "success", but who would be? Eddie Jones is the high-flying coach of England i would have liked to see him have a crack, but he didnt, the man who did enhanced his reputation, with the masses, if not with the squad :dontknow: We pay our money to sky or to support sport, so why cant we be aware of opinions at the appropriate time ? After the tour is over and the dust settles.

Some think Gatland is a fantastic coach, others that he is extremely lucky. I dont think you can seriously knock his record. IMO he manages the personality within teams extremely well and people should not underestimate how important this is to results but without the results, i dont think he could manage the personalities, so hes quite lucky :) . However from a viewpoint of rugby coaching in its pure form, which is what O'Brien as criticised, i think the truth is midway between him being a great coach and a lucky one. Hes OK at the highest level and hes been lucky.

What?? :D :D :D

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:54 am
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

My location is a clue..

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

My location is a clue..

The point is that, to some extent, it could apply to either country. :D

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

My location is a clue..

I doubt Welsh clubs would take any coaching from outsiders

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Troron wrote:
Bouch wrote:

My location is a clue..

I doubt Welsh clubs would take any coaching from outsiders

Why not? Their head coach and three of the four regional coaches aren't from Wales.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

:thumbup:[/quote]

Amazing how it's taken this long for other sides to realise forwards, particularly the front row, should all be able to pass accurately and even run into space.[/quote]

In 2013, we had some Auckland Assistants come here to coach for a week or so, and after watching a game, we had a day of passing drills and offloads...no contact. They could believe how bad the basic handling skills were.[/quote]

Was that in Wales or the US?[/quote]

My location is a clue..[/quote]

The point is that, to some extent, it could apply to either country. :D[/quote]

I doubt Welsh clubs would take any coaching from outsiders[/quote]

Why not? Their head coach and three of the four regional coaches aren't from Wales.[/quote]

I think you will find that the regions are not clubs... :scratch:

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Langland Exile wrote:

Amazing how it's taken this long for other sides to realise forwards, particularly the front row, should all be able to pass accurately and even run into space.[/quote]

In 2013, we had some Auckland Assistants come here to coach for a week or so, and after watching a game, we had a day of passing drills and offloads...no contact. They could believe how bad the basic handling skills were.[/quote]

Why not? Their head coach and three of the four regional coaches aren't from Wales.[/quote]

I think you will find that the regions supposedly are not clubs... :scratch:[/quote]

Fixed. Anyway, I think you'll find non-Welsh people involved in the amateur game are not so rare - Mumbles RFC has an Englishman and a South African among its principal members of staff, for example.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I think you will find that the regions supposedly are not clubs... :scratch:[/quote]

Fixed. Anyway, I think you'll find non-Welsh people involved in the amateur game are not so rare - Mumbles RFC has an Englishman and a South African among its principal members of staff, for example.[/quote]

Presumably because they need the work, and Welsh people won't do it.. ;)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next