It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Sean O'Brien 
Regional Junior Player

Post Sean O'Brien
Sean O'Brien states the Lions could have won the series 3 -0 if the coaching regime had been more positive. I agree with him 100 %, and I wonder if any current Welsh Internationals feel that way as well. I guess more than half !!

I think the W R U needs to look in depth at the present set up, and if performances in the Autumn Internationals do not reach expectations, changes need to be made in time for the Six Nations.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:55 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Sean O'Brien
The British and Irish Lions could have whitewashed world champions New Zealand 3-0 had they been better coached, says flanker Sean O'Brien.

The Irishman started all three Tests of the 1-1 drawn series.

But he believes poor coaching prevented the Lions securing a historic victory.

"If we had a little more structure during the weeks, and more of an attack gameplan, driven way earlier in the tour, I think we could have won 3-0," O'Brien said.

"With the players we had, we should have won the series."

As well as criticising the preparation before the first and third Test matches by Warren Gatland and his staff, O'Brien was especially critical of attack coach Rob Howley.

The 30-year-old said the midfield pairing of Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell were "running our attack shape" by the end of the tour.

"The coaches have a lot to answer for in terms of our attack rather than Johnny and Faz trying to drive it," said O'Brien.

"If I was being critical of any coach it would be the fact that I think Rob struggled with the group in terms of his attributes of trying to get stuff across whereas Johnny and Owen drove everything the second week, for instance, in our attack and had a better plan in place.

"So I don't know if it was people not buying into what he was about or whatever else.

"That's the hard thing about a Lions tour as well; getting everyone to listen to a coach that was probably set in his ways."

As well as assisting Gatland on the Lions tour, Howley works under the New Zealander in the Wales set-up.

Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend and Glasgow assistant Jason O'Halloran both turned down invitations to be part of Gatland's staff, and O'Brien - who also toured with the Lions in 2013 - says the best coaches must be recruited in four years' time.

"Coaching-wise they need to make sure they have the best coaches in the best positions - attack, defence, forwards, whatever it may be on a Lions tour," he said.

Speaking immediately after the drawn third Test in July, Gatland said: "Given the schedule, given how tough the tour was, to come to New Zealand and get a draw you've got to be proud of that."

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Whilst I think he has a point, especially about Howley, I think it is stupid to claim the Lions could have whitewashed NZ.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Whilst I think he has a point, especially about Howley, I think it is stupid to claim the Lions could have whitewashed NZ.

I agree. It's not professional to do so but is interesting.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

That's a bit special.

Me thinks he's talking with 20:20 hindsight. Before the tour no-one gave them a chance. And it wasn't the attack that won or lost the series for the lions. It was the organisation and game control they were able to exert on he all blacks that no one has come close to before or after.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Gatland has a long and chequered history of abuse from the Irish.

At least 3 separate uproars.

Sean seems to be rewriting history with a shitty stick.

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:13 am
World XV Player

Of course most people on forums down here see it as a load of shite, but he's a pretty good footy player, world class, probably best in his position at some points of his career.
Has he got a Book coming out? He's stirring it up a bit

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Every man reaches retirement age ....

:D

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am
World XV Player

Between shit like this, and the ignorant bleatings of the Welsh public fuelled by the media (or perhaps the other way around) what right minded coach is going to take the Welsh job once Gatland finally goes?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

Regardless of what *might* have happened, this doesn't look good for Gatland and especially Howley.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Regardless of what *might* have happened, this doesn't look good for Gatland and especially Howley.

It is reported in France on the Rugby Journals....

An opinion but distinctly lacking in substantiation and, imo, unnecessary and unprofessional. What happens on tour, stays on tour? ;)

Cannot be refuted for the same reasons that it cannot be proven.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm
Regional Player

Forrealz wrote:
Of course most people on forums down here see it as a load of shite, but he's a pretty good footy player, world class, probably best in his position at some points of his career.
Has he got a Book coming out? He's stirring it up a bit

The media seems to be doing most of the stirring tbf.

I don't know if he has a book in the works but he is a straight talking farm lad, just tells you what he believes. He is pretty grounded, he still helps his family out on the farm anytime he can. At the time of the interview he was at a Leinster promo at his local club Tullow.

Here is the interview that was covered by many of the papers. Seems pretty tame.
http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_ ... uth_Africa

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Sean O'Brien should be embarassed by this story.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

How to disrupt your opponents.

Ride the gravy train of media and public ignorance and garner even further animosity between the team, it's staff and their supporters

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Now a Tongan Englishman
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-13652575

King Eddie

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next