It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals 
thread ruining clique

Post Re: The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals
Blindside wrote:
Why have they lost faith in Rhodri Jones ???

:)

Ooh, I so nearly bit. :D

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Why have they lost faith in Rhodri Jones ???

:)

Ooh, I so nearly bit. :D

I like Rhodri I think he had a lot of potential but never seemed to fulfil that potential as his scrummaging not great but his presence in the loose was excellent.
If I were him I would consider a move to hooker where I think he could lay down a marker.
Any thoughts? :dontknow:

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:25 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Didn't he already move from loose to tight? Or the other way around?
It's been so long since I heard his name - is he even still playing?

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:34 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

Rhodri is only 25, still relatively young for a prop.
He is currently playing for Ospreys.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Playing not very often, he was given a central contract which was nonsense, his scrummaging was awful, his general play overrated. Twenty Five is not old for a prop, but its old not to be able to hold your own in professional rugby against club sides.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Some Welsh fans are quick to criticise others for rushed residency qualification for their National teams ....

Hadleigh Parkes selection for the AI squan when he is not qualifies even. for the opening games is an example of the practice and this quickly before the World Rugby reg for next Season which will extend the period from 3. years to 5 ;)

Pro rugby glasshouse has many broken panes ;)

I've opposed Parkes' selection from the start. No hypocrisy here at least.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Gatland Ball? Was Gatland just using the available talent at the time to the best advantage?
After all, we had three big backs to throw at the opposition, The Doc, North and Cuthbert.
However, those giants have been matched by most other teams.
Will we see a change to use what talent we do have such as Steff Evans, hardly a giant but more in the mould of (should I say it?) Shane Williams.
It will be interesting to see the 23 named for the first AI.
Just imagine 9. Gareth Davies, 10 Rhys Priestland, 11 Ha'penny, 12 Owen Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 14 Steff Evans and 15 Liam Williams.
Hardly a recipe for Gatland ball. :D

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Figaro wrote:
I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

If they're not given the chance then we'll never know !! Chuck 'em in and see how they perform, it's only the AI's and the draw is already done for RWC19. What's to lose ?

I'd rather get hammered by 40 points trying someone/something new than lose by 3 points with the same old faces playing - at the very least it's a ready made excuse.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Figaro wrote:

If they're not given the chance then we'll never know !! Chuck 'em in and see how they perform, it's only the AI's and the draw is already done for RWC19. What's to lose ?

I'd rather get hammered by 40 points trying someone/something new than lose by 3 points with the same old faces playing - at the very least it's a ready made excuse.

The AIs are important. If we beat all of the opponents it would increase our confidence. If we lose them all it has the opposite effect. I agree that we need to taoe a chance but chosing a team that we know will lose is not a good idea.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I'm all for trying young lads, but put them in with a some wise heads to balance it.
We could end up with Flaky at 10, and 12 and 14 with zero international experience. That's asking for trouble. It's also giving ammunition to those who will demand Steff Evans be publicy crucifed if he doesn't win his first game all on his own.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I'm all for trying young lads, but put them in with a some wise heads to balance it.
We could end up with Flaky at 10, and 12 and 14 with zero international experience. That's asking for trouble. It's also giving ammunition to those who will demand Steff Evans be publicy crucifed if he doesn't win his first game all on his own.

Exactly.

The introduction of players needs to be a fairly comfortable environment.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Playing not very often, he was given a central contract which was nonsense, his scrummaging was awful, his general play overrated. Twenty Five is not old for a prop, but its old not to be able to hold your own in professional rugby against club sides.

Yep the whole thing was a disaster and a vanity project from team Wales

We don't really know what level he could have reached if left at LH, but we don't produce many blokes with his physical dimensions in wales, so converting him to a position he hasn't mastered and is essentially now labelled as a no hoper is a waste

The episode also highlights the lack of faith gatland has in the development system if he felt the need to create aTH, instead of trusting the system to provide one for him

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
The episode also highlights the lack of faith gatland has in the development system if he felt the need to create aTH, instead of trusting the system to provide one for him

Shakespearean that is :D

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Gatland Ball? Was Gatland just using the available talent at the time to the best advantage?
After all, we had three big backs to throw at the opposition, The Doc, North and Cuthbert.
However, those giants have been matched by most other teams.
Will we see a change to use what talent we do have such as Steff Evans, hardly a giant but more in the mould of (should I say it?) Shane Williams.
It will be interesting to see the 23 named for the first AI.
Just imagine 9. Gareth Davies, 10 Rhys Priestland, 11 Ha'penny, 12 Owen Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 14 Steff Evans and 15 Liam Williams.
Hardly a recipe for Gatland ball. :D

I'm surprised no one has commented on a non-Gatland Ball backline. :D

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next