It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals
I think today showed why Priestland won't be favoured again, he is prone to massive brain farts. Today he couldn't get the line moving and kicked away possession with 27 seconds left. Bath then lost the game and they were winning it when he did that.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
I think today showed why Priestland won't be favoured again, he is prone to massive brain farts. Today he couldn't get the line moving and kicked away possession with 27 seconds left. Bath then lost the game and they were winning it when he did that.

I didn't see the game and don't want to unnecessarily stick up for Priestland. But surely he can't be blamed for the result of the 80 minute game on the basis of one action? There are 100s of other incidenta in the game not least (presumably) any licks he scored? Or any eldefensive lapses by other players that let the opposition score? I find blaming a s8ngle player often 8gnores both their own team plus the opposition who would have had to be within a score anyway.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

If the cycle of development is influenced by the "next world cup" fair enough, but you cant start not picking players because they wont be around for the world cup after next.

As for Parks hes been head and shoulders the most consistent centre in Welsh rugby, last season and this.

I agree that Parkes deserves a place based on form, but I still wouldn't pick a player who you know in advance can only pay one game of a series. But I guess they want to have him in for another cycle of training camps etc. to get used to the environment.

I don't think there's any chance we will see Priestland or Biggar at 12 as they have never played there. Patchell has, and we might see him there as well, but he hasn't done recently and not often. If we are experimenting perhaps it would be worth giving Patchell a run out at 12 against Georgia to see how viable that is. If we are going down the 2nd playmaker route though Owen Williams is the obvious choice as he is the only 10/12 available at the moment (barring Gavin Henson...), and it only begs the question why he wasn't tried out at 12 in the Pacific Isles over the summer instead of being given a 9-minute cameo at 10.

Against Australia (assuming all fit) I would go

Evans/Owens/Lee
Ball/Jones
Shingler/Faletau/Tipuric
Biggar/Webb
O Williams/Davies
Evans/Liam Williams
Amos

Bench:
Smith, Dacey, Francis, Seb Davies, Navidi, Gareth Davies, Patchell, Watkin

No space for Halpenny who isn't offering much at the moment except goal kicking. I suspect Gatland will start with Halfpenny of course, but then, I wouldn't have bet that Gatland would have gone with this Wales squad, so who knows what will happen.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

If the cycle of development is influenced by the "next world cup" fair enough, but you cant start not picking players because they wont be around for the world cup after next.

As for Parks hes been head and shoulders the most consistent centre in Welsh rugby, last season and this.

I agree that Parkes deserves a place based on form, but I still wouldn't pick a player who you know in advance can only pay one game of a series. But I guess they want to have him in for another cycle of training camps etc. to get used to the environment.

I don't think there's any chance we will see Priestland or Biggar at 12 as they have never played there. Patchell has, and we might see him there as well, but he hasn't done recently and not often. If we are experimenting perhaps it would be worth giving Patchell a run out at 12 against Georgia to see how viable that is. If we are going down the 2nd playmaker route though Owen Williams is the obvious choice as he is the only 10/12 available at the moment (barring Gavin Henson...), and it only begs the question why he wasn't tried out at 12 in the Pacific Isles over the summer instead of being given a 9-minute cameo at 10.

Evans/Owens/Lee
Ball/Jones
Shingler/Faletau/Tipuric
Biggar/Webb
O Williams/Davies
Evans/Liam Williams
Amos

Bench:

No space for Halpenny who isn't offering much at the moment except goal kicking. I suspect Gatland will start with Halfpenny of course, but then, I wouldn't have bet that Gatland would have gone with this Wales squad, so who knows what will happen.

I agree with what you say.

My one thought re Hadleigh Parkes is that he isn't necessarily taking the place of a player? Correct me of I'm wrong (I don't know either way) but if there isn't a limit on squad size, has Gatland actually substituted him for another player?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I think for these friendlies there is no limit to the squad size (obviously there is a set limit for competitions like the WC and 6N). There is a tendency to stay within the 32-36 player limit though and to have a balance of players and positions - too many players is both A) expensive and B) limits the time the coaches can spend with them; too few in the right positions and it's difficult to effectively practice.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Troron wrote:

I had a different take on the game, which I thought was a decent match, and that is that Bath - and the is was picked up by the commentators were trying to move the game out to 13, to make best use of Jonathan Joseph. And I am not sure if this was the reason, but the Gloucester 13 has an absolute field day.

We also saw the best Welsh hooker in action again, sadly he does not figure in Gatland's plans.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Cymru am byth wrote:
I didn't see the game and don't want to unnecessarily stick up for Priestland. But surely he can't be blamed for the result of the 80 minute game on the basis of one action? There are 100s of other incidenta in the game not least (presumably) any licks he scored? Or any eldefensive lapses by other players that let the opposition score? I find blaming a s8ngle player often 8gnores both their own team plus the opposition who would have had to be within a score anyway.

I don't blame him for the entire loss, I blame him for his own personal lack of judgement kicking the ball away when in the lead with very little time left and also how frequently he shovelled on terrible ball.

If their plan was to move the game to 13, it failed. They never created space for JJ so he was always left either going to contact, shovelling the problem on to someone else or trying a grubber kick behind the defence.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Evans/Owens/Lee
Ball/Jones
Shingler/Faletau/Tipuric
Biggar/Webb
O Williams/Davies
Evans/Liam Williams
Amos

Bench:

Don't think Amos is a true international 15 so would have him swop places with Liam. The only other change to your matchday squad I'd make is to drop Ken from the 23 and bring in Ryan Ellias, Owen's understudy at the Scarlets, on the bench. Maybe that would concentrate Ken's mind !!

All a waste of time though as we all know what Gatland's starting XV is likely to be.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

Evans/Owens/Lee
Ball/Jones
Shingler/Faletau/Tipuric
Biggar/Webb
O Williams/Davies
Evans/Liam Williams
Amos

Bench:

Don't think Amos is a true international 15 so would have him swop places with Liam. The only other change to your matchday squad I'd make is to drop Ken from the 23 and bring in Ryan Ellias, Owen's understudy at the Scarlets, on the bench. Maybe that would concentrate Ken's mind !!

All a waste of time though as we all know what Gatland's starting XV is likely to be.

Elias isn't in the squad. (thank God, from a Scarlets point of view) :D

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 am
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

Evans/Owens/Lee
Ball/Jones
Shingler/Faletau/Tipuric
Biggar/Webb
O Williams/Davies
Evans/Liam Williams
Amos

Bench:

Elias isn't in the squad. (thank God, from a Scarlets point of view) :D

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 am
thread ruining clique

Halfpenny is worth 15 points a game. Why the hell would anyone leave him out?

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 pm
Regional Player

spinbreath wrote:

I think 1/2p may score 15 points a game but is worth 3/6 points a game imho.
Therefore I would rather have the option of scoring more tries (at least 1 per game)
with a back 3 of Steff E ,Liam & Amos.

So that is why I would leave 1/2p out.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:

Lack of speed generally
Courageous but ineffective defense
Not a factor in attack

he's great guy though

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 pm
Regional Player

I think if Biggar were unavailable, or if we were picking a different player at 10, then there would be a case for including Halfpenny as I wouldn't want to rely on Priestland's kicking, or God forbid Patchell's. But Biggar is very nearly as good a goal kicker as Halfpenny so his kicking alone isn't enough to justify picking him. I'm not writing him off and certainly think he belongs in the squad, just right now there are better options at 15 and the wings.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
I think if Biggar were unavailable, or if we were picking a different player at 10, then there would be a case for including Halfpenny as I wouldn't want to rely on Priestland's kicking, or God forbid Patchell's. But Biggar is very nearly as good a goal kicker as Halfpenny so his kicking alone isn't enough to justify picking him. I'm not writing him off and certainly think he belongs in the squad, just right now there are better options at 15 and the wings.

I'd have Ha'penny on the bench with Priestland. As you say, not that much to choose between Biggar and Ha'penny in the kicking stakes. If Biggar has to go off then Priestland with Ha'penny is a good option.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next