It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals 
World XV Player

Post Re: The squad Gatland should pick for the Autumn internationals
Figaro wrote:
I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

If the cycle of development is influenced by the "next world cup" fair enough, but you cant start not picking players because they wont be around for the world cup after next.

As for Parks hes been head and shoulders the most consistent centre in Welsh rugby, last season and this.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I wouldn't have picked Parkes. Even if you're happy with project players /residency picks, he's the same age as Jamie Roberts and so not going to be round for long beyond the world cup, moreover he is not even eligible until the last game of the series. One of Owen Watkin or Owen Williams will be starting at 12 vs Australia. Let's hope he's up to it.

If the cycle of development is influenced by the "next world cup" fair enough, but you cant start not picking players because they wont be around for the world cup after next.

As for Parks he's been head and shoulders the most consistent centre in Welsh rugby, last season and this.

Well, he has kept Scott Williams out of the starting berth at Scarlets. I feel for Scott, I think his confidence has taken a knock by having to warm the bench. I've noticed a certain hesitancy in his decision making this season. Pretty certain he would be starting at any of the other regions.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:

As for Parks he's been head and shoulders the most consistent centre in Welsh rugby, last season and this.

Well, he has kept Scott Williams out of the starting berth at Scarlets. I feel for Scott, I think his confidence has taken a knock by having to warm the bench. I've noticed a certain hesitancy in his decision making this season. Pretty certain he would be starting at any of the other regions.

Without knowing anything about these players, if your confidence takes a knock because you are pushed to the bench by a better player, you deserve to sit there.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Gatland Ball? Was Gatland just using the available talent at the time to the best advantage?
After all, we had three big backs to throw at the opposition, The Doc, North and Cuthbert.
However, those giants have been matched by most other teams.
Will we see a change to use what talent we do have such as Steff Evans, hardly a giant but more in the mould of (should I say it?) Shane Williams.
It will be interesting to see the 23 named for the first AI.
Just imagine 9. Gareth Davies, 10 Rhys Priestland, 11 Ha'penny, 12 Owen Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 14 Steff Evans and 15 Liam Williams.
Hardly a recipe for Gatland ball. :D

I'm surprised no one has commented on a non-Gatland Ball backline. :D

You can't play that way without a back row, even Howley knows that :D

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 am
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Why have they lost faith in Rhodri Jones ???

:)

Ooh, I so nearly bit. :D

I like Rhodri I think he had a lot of potential but never seemed to fulfil that potential as his scrummaging not great but his presence in the loose was excellent.
If I were him I would consider a move to hooker where I think he could lay down a marker.
Any thoughts? :dontknow:

Another move? He was showing promise at LH before being moved to TH by the national coaching set up as we had a real shortage there. It has really impacted on his career to the point where he can't get a game at regional level. Might be best off moving outside Wales for a couple of years and concentrating on playing at LH again.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:

Unless there is a real surprise in the offing, it certainly looks that way. They are quite different 12's though, with Williams being more of a 'second ten' and Watkin more a physical, traditional style 12, so the selection should be an indication of how we are going to try and play. I would expect a starting back line against Australia of:

Webb, Biggar, S Evans, O Williams / Watkin, J Davies, L Williams, Halfpenny (think despite the Lions selection we will see Halfpenny back at full-back).

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Interesting squad... got to admit there are some players in there who don't fill me with a lot of confidence, shingler, navidi and hill

I also think throwing things up the air is a bit risky, shouldn't this have been done after the World Cup?

Gatland has a history of wild card selections, I know cross came out the blue but if his face doesn't fit then he won't be there again

Pleased to see dee, brown and Watkins in there as these are promising young players

I think this was the right time to introduce some fresh blood and have a look at them in camp. It might be that is all we are doing at this stage and it will give the opportunity for both the coaches and players to assess where some of the younger players are in terms of their development and what they need to do to get to international level. It also has to be remembered that we do have a few injuries and the squad would look different with some of those players in it.

I still think there were some strange selections though and would have definitely included Charteris, Young and Scott Williams over some of those chosen.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Unless there is a real surprise in the offing, it certainly looks that way. They are quite different 12's though, with Williams being more of a 'second ten' and Watkin more a physical, traditional style 12, so the selection should be an indication of how we are going to try and play. I would expect a starting back line against Australia of:

Webb, Biggar, S Evans, O Williams / Watkin, J Davies, L Williams, Halfpenny (think despite the Lions selection we will see Halfpenny back at full-back).

I agree with the starting lineup above apart from Watkin and Ha'penny. Owen Williams is a better bet and Hallam Amos was hugely impressive last night so I think there may be a little surprise. Biggar is not much behind Ha'penny in the kicking stakes so we may just find Hallam starting. This would leave a different attacking option on the bench, Ha'penny with Priestland and Gareth Davies.
My take would be Webb, Biggar, S Evans, O Williams, J Davies, L Williams, Hallam Amos.
And, last 20 minutes (barring injuries) Davies, The Priest, S Evans, O Williams, Foxy, Sanjay, Ha'penny.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
tom21 wrote:
Figaro wrote:

I agree with the starting lineup above apart from Watkin and Ha'penny. Owen Williams is a better bet and Hallam Amos was hugely impressive last night so I think there may be a little surprise. Biggar is not much behind Ha'penny in the kicking stakes so we may just find Hallam starting. This would leave a different attacking option on the bench, Ha'penny with Priestland and Gareth Davies.
My take would be Webb, Biggar, S Evans, O Williams, J Davies, L Williams, Hallam Amos.
And, last 20 minutes (barring injuries) Davies, The Priest, S Evans, O Williams, Foxy, Sanjay, Ha'penny.

Might well be. In that scenario though, wouldn't Liam Williams be at full-back and Amos on the wing?

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

What everyone seems to be missing with the two playmaker option is that it works best when playmaker 1 plays close to the line, and poses an attacking retreat, something Dan Biggar rarely shows. I wouldn't be surprised to see Priesthood 10, Biggar 12 combination showing at some stage

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Gats would never pick the Priest again

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:25 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

That's why he wasted his time putting him in the squad then? :scratch:

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

That would be the ultimate finger from Gtaland to Welsh rugby, he really should go now

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

That would be the ultimate finger from Gtaland to Welsh rugby, he really should go now

Why?

Gatland has chosen Priestland because of his form. Priestland won man of the match against Scarlets last week and has been playing well all season. Conversely Gatland hasn't chosen Sam Davies who hasn't played as well. I don't really understand why Gatland is doing anything wrong here?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I think Gatland has pretty much picked this squad on form
rather than reputation with a couple of obvious exceptions.

I just hope this continues into the starting XV

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next