It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am

Rhys Patchell can be Wales' answer to All Blacks 10 Beauden 
World XV Player

Post Rhys Patchell can be Wales' answer to All Blacks 10 Beauden
Scarlets boss Wayne Pivac has likened Rhys Patchell to New Zealand fly-half Beauden Barrett and predicted his player can be a long-term Wales 10.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41173939

Patchell, 24, has been a replacement Wales fly-half and centre, and has also started two Tests at full-back.

But he has played only at 10 for Scarlets in what is now the Pro14 and Pivac intends to keep him there.

"He's got a lot of Beauden Barrett in him for a start," said New Zealander Pivac.

"But he's a better goal-kicker than Beauden Barrett.

"Rhys is pretty quick. You saw him come back after 12 weeks out against Edinburgh last year and a minute and a half into the game he went 55m.

"For the modern-day 10, it depends on what coaches want.

"Whilst I'm at the Scarlets it's a running five-eighth (fly-half), who can cover the ground quickly, who can challenge defences, take the ball to the line, create space for the players outside him and doesn't cramp the outside backs.

"He's got a nice passing game, a big boot and he's a big guy, so there's no reason why he can't knock guys over."

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Rhys Patchell can be Wales' answer to All Blacks 10 Beauden
One wonders who would have lasted longest in the Wales 10 jersey in the last 7 or 8 years with Wayne Pivac as the Wales coach.
Wayne obviously has a different philosophy to Gats.
Any thoughts?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Well the results answer your question Big Red. I have said before that Gatland is trying to build a New Zealand type side, based on the physic of guys from that part of the world. Pivac is building his side on the qualities of Welsh rugby players, with guile and pace at the front. In the last few years Wales have stood still, whereas the Scarlets have progressed, almost unnoticed to their present champions position.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The difference between the two philosophies :

Pivac's is progressive.

Gatland's is stagnant.

However, that is not to say that Pivac is ready for International coaching at the mo, we've seen Welsh Club dominance before that never got translated into International success, cue ....Neath.

Pivac needs to consolidate his credentials, Dai Young is on his way in that respect....

The Cardiff/Swansea era was a different case of contentrated privilege?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 am
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
The difference between the two philosophies :

Pivac's is progressive.

Gatland's is stagnant.

However, that is not to say that Pivac is ready for International coaching at the mo, we've seen Welsh Club dominance before that never got translated into International success, cue ....Neath.

Pivac needs to consolidate his credentials, Dai Young is on his way in that respect....

The Cardiff/Swansea era was a different case of contentrated privilege?

The style of play Wasps use is great to watch. Don't care how much you concede as long as you score even more.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

LOL some here deify Pivac almost as much as they do over on Scarlet Fever! Let us remind ourselves of what he has achieved (or not): ONE Pro 12 championship, being the latest team over the last three seasons to have (thankfully) broken the previous Leinster-Munster-Ospreys axis; a first-ever victory over Toulon and a draw with an otherwise rampant Saracens; first-ever team to win an away Pro 12 semi-final; undefeated at home all season bar an opening loss to Munster (which incidentally I attended) and an AWC loss to Saracens. As good and well-intentioned a coach as Pivac undoubtedly is, he is NOT the Messiah, can indeed be a naughty boy at times, and certainly it is premature to say he should coach Wales.

As for Patchell, he is a good and promising player for sure, but comparing him to Beauden Barrett is surely really OTT even by the standards of the parochial hyperbolisation prevalent in Welsh rugby. (Yes I know Pivac is a Kiwi and previously coached a province there, but that doesn't mean that what he says is gospel by any means).

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
LOL some here deify Pivac almost as much as they do over on Scarlet Fever! Let us remind ourselves of what he has achieved (or not): ONE Pro 12 championship, being the latest team over the last three seasons to have (thankfully) broken the previous Leinster-Munster-Ospreys axis; a first-ever victory over Toulon and a draw with an otherwise rampant Saracens; first-ever team to win an away Pro 12 semi-final; undefeated at home all season bar an opening loss to Munster (which incidentally I attended) and an AWC loss to Saracens. As good and well-intentioned a coach as Pivac undoubtedly is, he is NOT the Messiah, can indeed be a naughty boy at times, and certainly it is premature to say he should coach Wales.

As for Patchell, he is a good and promising player for sure, but comparing him to Beauden Barrett is surely really OTT even by the standards of the parochial hyperbolisation prevalent in Welsh rugby. (Yes I know Pivac is a Kiwi and previously coached a province there, but that doesn't mean that what he says is gospel by any means).

Thanks for bringing us down to earth :D
Nevertheless, good coaches have a way of building a great team around them. In Pivac's case, I think he has done just that. A good head coach does not necessarily have to be technically all that proficient at coaching, it is in the management of the set up which is much more important.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Actually Patchell really is quite similar to Barret both physically and in the way he plays. Barrett is perhaps a little mroe direct.
Just my opinion like.

And I've been saying for years that Patchell is the man....

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Comparing patchell to Barrett is just spin really, they can't be serious

That said great to see patchell doing well. Still needs to make some better decisions to me and be more consistent. Good rugby player though

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't see it, I understand the principle but direct comparison is wishful thinking?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 pm
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

That said great to see patchell doing well. Still needs to make some better decisions to me and be more consistent. Good rugby player though

Why is it spin if even you allow for the fact that he can make even better decisions?

Good Rugby Player 'though' why past tense? when you say 'needs to make'?

On a temporal basis you are contradicting yourself.

In time he'll do good :D

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

Why is it spin if even you allow for the fact that he can make even better decisions?

Good Rugby Player 'though' why past tense? when you say 'needs to make'?

On a temporal basis you are contradicting yourself.

In time he'll do good :D

Ah but is it contradictory or are they just different ideas addressing separate issues

Admittedly tense is an issue in my post

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Patchell is 24 now and has been playing senior Rugby for some years. Let's not forget he actually got his first Wales cap way back in 2013. He is a decent player and it's great to see him doing well, but if he was going to be a world class international fly half like Barrett that would have been completely clear by now.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fair point but he has not really had a good run at 10 before the last season. I reckon this season will be the one that shows how good he is.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Patchell has primarily played at 10 for his whole career. Prior to Gareth Anscombe arriving at the Blues he played pretty much exclusively at 10. It's true that Mark Hammett and then Dale/Phil would usually shift Patchell to fullback when Anscombe was available (something that also happens to Sam Davies incidentally) but pretty much whenever Patchell was on the pitch and Anscombe wasn't, Patchell played at 10, so it's not so much that Patchell was being made into a 15 but more that Anscombe was the preferred 10. Patchell got ample opportunity to play at 10 with the Blues.

For what it's worth, Patchell also played a lot of his best Rugby for the Blues at 15.

I don't think Patchell is a better 10 than Rhys Priestland or Anscombe, though the latter is injured a lot and it's hard to compare the two when Patch is in a good team and Anscombe's in a pile of *tank*.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am
Profile E-mail