It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Kiwi girls win RWC, 2017 
World XV Player

Post Re: Kiwi girls win RWC, 2017
SimplyRed wrote:
its as exciting as a rugby clubs 3rd team game really...but fair play!

I disagree, some of the play was technically perfect and was a joy to watch the sheer enjoyment of the players. Give me this over Zebre vs Newport any day. ;)

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:41 pm
World XV Player

why do people always bring up bloody Casnewydd! :D

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

I disagree, some of the play was technically perfect and was a joy to watch the sheer enjoyment of the players. Give me this over Zebre vs Newport any day. ;)

:clap: :thumbup:

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 pm
World XV Player

I disagree with the negative approach to pro rugby woman's, in NZ anyway.

Woman's rugby as Tel has said like in NH is on the up, in NZ anyways. Cricket now paying woman.
Do we have figures on how many watched, not sure in NZ, don't even know what time it was, or who recorded. As most here I'm a die hard rugby watcher. Seen as many Nz woman's games live as men's. Love it, especially the rise in School girl rugby in NZ.

If we want medals at Olympics and always winning these comps, with pro comps and players in netball, basketball and hockey int. And we want to win a gold olympics etc. paying these girls is the way to go, even semi pro, which I'm sure there's a hint of. If a Portia Woodman could get half a salary at least. And train half a week, by NZRU, NZ sport (who ever they are now) and Sponsership, great and I think could be done. This from afar is the biggest pr we have had out of the RWC, hope on that horse and go hard.

The investment into schoolboy rugby, (first 15 level) and all the the rest, the ladies should get a piece of that pie.

Most NZers in rugby and sports half knowledge would support this. Rugby coppers are probably pretty healthy.

As an athlete Portia Woodman atm is probably as well know as the lower level ABs.

Give them some creeds, invest for Gold and elected and a pathway, and equity.
Go the girls :D

I missed my first bledisloe,a lions test even Anne Woman's RWC, at have only watched he highlights and amsuppotinhe irks to get paid hard. But have a little bit of knowledge on men's rugger like he rest here, and love he woman's footy too, maybe unlike some, open are proactive i a bit more $$$ : :thefinger:, not just because, because they are one of our top woman's teams, role models and woman's team athletes in nz, an on he up even ore now

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Hold on a minute boys - there's no way I'd pay actual money to watch a woman only game !!

If it's free-to-air and there's bugger all else on then OK, I'll watch it. If it clashes with anything I consider half decent then I'm afraid it comes a bad second.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Not for me I'm afraid.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Not for me I'm afraid.

The times are a changing, and about time too...

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:03 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Not for me I'm afraid.

The times are a changing, and about time too...

I'm not for banning them!!!! its just not something I would pay to watch or even not pay to watch. I don't like golf or tennis...same thing...its not because women are playing it!!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

I really enjoyed the tournament, from a physicality and technical point of view it was of a high standard! However (and I know this will be controversial) I think playing on the full mens pitch is probably wrong. What stood out for me was the kicking from both the tee and hand was pretty poor, and also quite how long it took the teams to traverse the field was notable. I cannot help but think that by slightly shortening the dimensions of the field, and marginally shrinking the height of the posts you would add to the womens game, kicking for territory/field position would have a greater role, discipline would play moere of a part as suddenly far more of the field becomes kick able for penalties and punishing the ill disciplined teams, and speed of the game would also benefit. It would add extra dimensions to the womens game, and kick it forward even more in my humble opinion.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think in Nz we should make the 15's possibly more importantly, the 7's, semi pro (more than now as some $ is available), or pro.
If anyone should, we should, and hopefully can

The AB and silver fern is probably the biggest brand in rugby. We would be in top 3-5 rugby financed countries. And to win RWCs and 7's olympics is the biggest challenges. Many countries are throwing heaps into 7's look where we have lagged the last couple years. $ would assist.

We should do this equity, focus on Athlete focus. Most NZers would be behind this imo. There will always be those that oppose etc, but hopefully once the call is made and our young ladies in a competitive nz sport get paid, great for us.

Hear you guys tho, it's not as good as strength skill etc, but neither is most sport.
NZ will hopefully lead this now after England's trying it their way. :D

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Saying all that, I think you guys (up north) have, outside nz, the most competitive competition, so would love our girls playing u more

Also MOST of us here have had sisters of wives gfs play rugby and like nz rugby we are finaticle, ott, and we have woman's rugby in our lives a lot in most cases so it's not foreign at all, to us

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

WOW if I was a feminist my blood would be boiling reading some of the posts in WRWC threads, but I am far from it.

Fullas you don't have to protect your "patch" woman's rugby is not trying to take over your precious game.

I can only speak for the Kiwi girls but I can tell you they are as passionate as any AB (in fact more passionate than some I have worked with), and they spend hours before and after work studying the finer points of the game, in the gym and training to participare in the sport they love.

I have moved from the AB camp to the Black Ferns camp to help with the preparation for this cup tourney and there is one marked difference between the two and I can tell you these girls have had to put double the effort into their work load to be able to compete at WC level.

They would be horirified at the idea of playing on a smaller field, how patronising is that. There is and has to be a difference between the woman and men's game, they need some different skills, tactics etc, etc.

Some of you seem to think they have to "earn" their professional status, they ARE professionals already, they just don't have professional contracts (that would infuriate any feminist).

So how do they increase the crowds? Number one they need to have the same platform as the men's game has. Currently they are not even close.

We are just back from Pinetrees funeral, would loved to have stayed at the club rooms but alas my other job beacons.

The funeral was live streamed, you might find it on YouTube if interested.

There were some great rugby stories, Brian Lochre was my favorurite speaker, he spoke about AB rugby in their day and AB rugby today. He said in their day they would get up on test day, have a steak for breakfast, go to the TAB then have lunch, mashed potatoes and fried eggs. They didn't hydrate with gallons of water like they do today. Water weakens your beer, post game they drank a lot of beer and stayed up most of the night.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:03 am
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
I really enjoyed the tournament, from a physicality and technical point of view it was of a high standard! However (and I know this will be controversial) I think playing on the full mens pitch is probably wrong. What stood out for me was the kicking from both the tee and hand was pretty poor, and also quite how long it took the teams to traverse the field was notable. I cannot help but think that by slightly shortening the dimensions of the field, and marginally shrinking the height of the posts you would add to the womens game, kicking for territory/field position would have a greater role, discipline would play moere of a part as suddenly far more of the field becomes kick able for penalties and punishing the ill disciplined teams, and speed of the game would also benefit. It would add extra dimensions to the womens game, and kick it forward even more in my humble opinion.

Very naughty.

You'll be reducing Wimbledon to ping pong tables next.

The bit about reducing the posts just plain cracked me up.

I agree about the width though, it gives them to much room for flare.

:thefinger:

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Justic, it is not patronising at all, but an acceptance of the physical differences between men and women, it is neither a slight to suggest that, and nor insulting to suggest something that may well improve the game and take it forward. I come from a POV of supporting and previous coaching of the ladies and kids game, and just as we talk about stopping age grading in favour of physical development to benefit the kids game, so should we focus on what can do to strengthen the womens game, whilst equally attempting to continue its growth in the media.

To turn a blind eye to the kicking would be wrong, kickers were struggling from anything other than short distances. Touch finds were rarely tactically beneficial, kicks from defence were making just beyond the 22 or to just beyond the 10. The dimensions of the field are hindering rather than helping the womens game. England have just had 4 years of profesionalism (which should continue, but that is another arguement), and it was notable that kicking was still a weak area, and among the many wonderful aspects of the game (physicality, technique) it really stood out.

I am not talking slashing huge swaythes off the size, but some sensible research from sports and biomechanical experts could lead to resizing both the field and the posts. Suddenly with that change tactical kicking gains more merit, discipline must tighten as penalities become more important. The speed and transition of the game accross the field will benefit, which will lead to a more appealing game for the spectator and the player, which in itself will add more to our games appeal.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
wombles wrote:

Very naughty.

You'll be reducing Wimbledon to ping pong tables next.

The bit about reducing the posts just plain cracked me up.

I agree about the width though, it gives them to much room for flare.

:thefinger:

Hardly, it is a sport by sport basis. The tennis court is perfect as it is, however currently women only play 3 sets, rather than the mens 5 during major events. And it is deemed appropriate due to accepted differences.
Sport should be equal access accross the board, race, gender, sexual orientation, faith etc should not matter. However we adjust the game to suit the participant, this is no different.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next