It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Wales U18 Development Side in South Africa 
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales U18 Development Side in South Africa
daidimview wrote:
Very few Blues

Blues aren't of the region they are the region hence no natural feed in from the local.

A carbuncle not a natural growth.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
daidimview wrote:
Very few Blues

Blues aren't of the region they are the region hence no natural feed in from the local.

Yup, they wanted Cardiff, they got Cardiff and it's been downhill all the way - tough titty and no sympathy from me.

Karma maybe, for the disgraceful part they played in the Warriors debacle and let's hope Peter eats a poisoned pie !!!!

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Donkka wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
daidimview wrote:
Very few Blues

Yup, they wanted Cardiff, they got Cardiff and it's been steadily downhill all the way since - tough titty and no sympathy from me.

Karma maybe, for the disgraceful part they played in the Warriors debacle and let's hope Peter eats a poisoned pie !!!!

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

tom21 wrote:
Reading a few articles, the College rugby system is really beginning to take shape in Wales. Facilities are improving at many of the locations and some of the College sides are amongst the best in the UK and beyond. Beating SA and England shows we are competitive at that age group, but it's going on from there and the 18-23 age bracket that needs looking at.

Yeah. Contrary to what some argue in this forum, I do believe that Wales does have a lot of naturally talented players; it is a question of whether they are harnessed, managed and developed properly, more than anything else.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:10 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
tom21 wrote:
Reading a few articles, the College rugby system is really beginning to take shape in Wales. Facilities are improving at many of the locations and some of the College sides are amongst the best in the UK and beyond. Beating SA and England shows we are competitive at that age group, but it's going on from there and the 18-23 age bracket that needs looking at.

Yeah. Contrary to what some argue in this forum, I do believe that Wales does have a lot of naturally talented players; it is a question of whether they are harnessed, managed and developed properly, more than anything else.

Agree. I think it is clear that there are a lot of talented players at a young age. I don't think many deny that. But as you say, the latter part is the problem. If we want 15 and 16 year old players to make the next step they need to have a clear development system. Posters such as Blindside and Chris are working at the coal face here and whilst I understand there are improvements being made, there is still a long way to go.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:46 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
tom21 wrote:

Agree. I think it is clear that there are a lot of talented players at a young age. I don't think many deny that. But as you say, the latter part is the problem. If we want 15 and 16 year old players to make the next step they need to have a clear development system. Posters such as Blindside and Chris are working at the coal face here and whilst I understand there are improvements being made, there is still a long way to go.

I think the College system provides a pathway for those at that age, along with the more traditional school rugby route. I think the issue is after the age of 18, but I have heard mention of three "Hartpury College" style set ups being established which could provide that bridge to the pro game.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm not sure how other countries do this
But in NZ we have our regions, also tiers in that region, now broken up into Super rugby teams areas. E.g., Highlander's has all Otago and Southland schools.
There is also a top zone where schools play each other and televised. It is almost above our provincial programmer, and kids from school, regularly go straight to Super Franchises.

School boys rugby is huge, along with this comes poaching, targeting some Island players, scholarships, suggested drug and early weight programmes. Bending the rules for the prestigious schools.

But what ever you guys are doing you must be doing it well, great results..

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
But in NZ we have our regions, also tiers in that region, now broken up into Super rugby teams areas. E.g., Highlander's has all Otago and Southland schools.
There is also a top zone where schools play each other and televised. It is almost above our provincial programmer, and kids from school, regularly go straight to Super Franchises.

School boys rugby is huge, along with this comes poaching, targeting some Island players, scholarships, suggested drug and early weight programmes. Bending the rules for the prestigious schools.

There were a few TV programmes on over here about NZ rugby during the Lions tour. What emerged from all of them was how good the grounding was in school rugby. Not just as rugby players but as young men as well.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:

There were a few TV programmes on over here about NZ rugby during the Lions tour. What emerged from all of them was how good the grounding was in school rugby. Not just as rugby players but as young men as well.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 am
Profile E-mail