It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The All Blacks LOST. The whole world knows, including them 
World XV Player

Post Re: The All Blacks LOST. The whole world knows, including them
Rugby is a winter sport, if you need a roof then your in the wrong sport.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:10 pm
World XV Player

Justic wrote:

Rugby when professional is a spectator sport. Creating an environment that encourages fast running rugby can also make more enjoyable to watch. I don't say the odd, wet game isn't fun but it's not what I want to see all the time.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I do know the players that play in Dunedin love it, it's always dry, still cold but, I'd say almost all players wouldn't have it any other way in Dunedin, imho NZ players suit it too.

Auckland, I hope they get a covered stadium in Auckland it would suit all the events, including rugby.

We shall see, election promise maybe.

But seems I always think a little different to the nz rugby followers on here, but I'd say a majority of rugby supporters in Auckland would like a covered stadium, majority of tax payers (like Dunedin wouldn't.

:D

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Otto wrote:
Justic wrote:
The AB's did fail, they left tries on the field that they should have scored.

Gatland, Liam Williams, Foxy etc. all said the ball was like a bar of soap, deceivingly so and, when any team tries to play open rugby in those conditions then errors are inevitable! Fact is, it was a cracking test-match and IMO, a draw fairly represented the 80 minutes played? No losses when the game itself wins?

Aye, you're right.

I guess that many of the people bitching the loudest didn't bet on a draw, Otto.

It was a tremendous series because the Lions improved along the way and the TMO (Mr Yacoub) was mostly allowed to function.

We've been promised a roofed stadium in New Zealand and that could probably house the next series of Lions test matches.

That'll be due in 2029, I suppose.

Could be a good one ...

Bloody hope so, there be no balls and bars of soap then. And we won't choke like 2017.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Justic wrote:

Rugby when professional is a spectator sport. Creating an environment that encourages fast running rugby can also make more enjoyable to watch. Player skills and ability and attitude are more important than a roof I don't say the odd, wet game isn't fun but it's not what I want to see all the time.

Professional rugby isn't just international games. You can't expect players to spend 6 months on open air pitches playing in crap weather to turn on the charm when they play under a roof.
Better to have all professional rugby played in the summer.
We only play rugby in the winter because cricket was already played in the summer.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Justic wrote:

Rugby when professional is a spectator sport. Creating an environment that encourages fast running rugby can also make more enjoyable to watch. Player skills and ability and attitude are more important than a roof I don't say the odd, wet game isn't fun but it's not what I want to see all the time.

Professional rugby isn't just international games. You can't expect players to spend 6 months on open air pitches playing in crap weather to turn on the charm when they play under a roof.
Better to have all professional rugby played in the summer.
We only play rugby in the winter because cricket was already played in the summer.

With respect, you are twisting it here.

Yes skills and attitude are important but how can you argue that, all things being equal, a wet rugby ball is easier to catch than a dry one? It is a basic tactic. Kick a wet ball to the fullback, hope he drops and force the knock on, this is combined with fewer passes happening in the wet.

Also ow often do non international teams play at the Millennium/Principality stadium? The only games I can recall in recent years are the HC Finals and the Judgment Day games. As the only roofed stadium in the World - it stands to reason that in this context roofed rugby = Welsh International games.

In conclusion, I can't understand how you can disagree with the above? Sure, not all players can turn on the charm, but even a shit player like me can catch a dry ball easier than a wet one. Therefore, a roof and dry conditions encourages running rugby.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Did you know it isn't a permanently closed roof?

It can be opened and then shut and then opened again ... and so on and so forth.

We've had it since the 20th Century - no, honestly.

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

You are one really weird mofo man.
Actually, that's probably part of the problem up there, too much concentrating on a big roof, not enough skills practice. "Too many weights, not enough speed work, useless *prk*."

Lol, have to have a little chuckle there

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
I do know the players that play in Dunedin love it, it's always dry, still cold but, I'd say almost all players wouldn't have it any other way in Dunedin, imho NZ players suit it too.

Auckland, I hope they get a covered stadium in Auckland it would suit all the events, including rugby.

But seems I always think a little different to the nz rugby followers on here, but I'd say a majority of rugby supporters in Auckland would like a covered stadium, majority of tax payers (like Dunedin wouldn't.

Of course the fans would prefer a covered stadium, but I don't think the cost could be covered as we have more burning priorities.
The landers stadium is awesome. :thumbright: I think every player would love playing there. But, it was built as a covered stadium and is relatively small. Covering Eden park would cost a fortune, and although the players would enjoy it(fans too), it's not really important. Building a new stadium will happen out of neccessity, not hope.
As you say, it comes down to the surrounding community and it's usually the case that most don't want a stadium, let alone a covered one.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Forrealz wrote:

Of course the fans would prefer a covered stadium, but I don't think the cost could be covered as we have more burning priorities.
The landers stadium is awesome. :thumbright: I think every player would love playing there. But, it was built as a covered stadium and is relatively small. Covering Eden park would cost a fortune, and although the players would enjoy it(fans too), it's not really important. Building a new stadium will happen out of neccessity, not hope.
As you say, it comes down to the surrounding community and it's usually the case that most don't want a stadium, let alone a covered one.

It will be interesting how this develops, Auckland will have a lot of say, local politics, and like last time with Helen Clark, it could become a bigger political investment/issue. If a waterfront option with rugby, league and other events to be held there, it would be awesome. Leaving mt smart a dead duck and Eden as residential. An AB team with a covered stadium would suit us big time. Julian Savea might catch the ball and Barret no 1 kick straight.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Forrealz wrote:

It will be interesting how this develops, Auckland will have a lot of say, local politics, and like last time with Helen Clark, it could become a bigger political investment/issue. If a waterfront option with rugby, league and other events to be held there, it would be awesome. Leaving mt smart a dead duck and Eden as residential. An AB team with a covered stadium would suit us big time. Julian Savea might catch the ball and Barret no 1 kick straight.

True, but it won't happen in our lifetime. If we couldn't build one for a WC we won't be building one for another reason.
In saying that, as Justic said, it's a winter sport, it rains in winter.
Is it even an issue at the moment? Or is Boucher just picking a random thought in his head and telling us about it?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 pm
World XV Player

Besides Bouchers comments

I think the Stadium will happen in the next 12 years.
These elections will be interesting if brought up.

Wheather it's closed or not, :dontknow:
But a multi use venue that would need to hold 50k
All Blacks kings here in sport, a new stadium would be almost due.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
Besides Bouchers comments

I think the Stadium will happen in the next 12 years.
These elections will be interesting if brought up.

Wheather it's closed or not, :dontknow:
But a multi use venue that would need to hold 50k
All Blacks kings here in sport, a new stadium would be almost due.

Why? Eden park is a fortress. Maybe the best home record there in all sport. Why do we need a new stadium? I think most jafas will look at it that way and nothing will change, and tbh, I don't know if it's really that important. :dontknow: We just don't have the population to support massive spending like that.
Is anyone talking about this outside of this thread? :D
Any political leeches talking about it?
The only thing I've heard, or read, is some really wasted Welshman trying to bring up something we lack, to make him feel wanted. :D

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:20 pm
World XV Player

It's just not apples with apples. We play our rugby all over NZ so we have to pay for all those grounds. Wales play it in one place so they can focus on having one great stadium (with awful turf).

Making one big covered stadium in Auckland and playing all our tests there would be crap for the rest of the country.

That said I really wanted a waterfront stadium in Auckland (don't care about a roof) pre 2011 and was gutted when it didn't happen and it was exactly as LC said - the locals whinged. The vocal anti-rugby minority got stuck in and complained so much that it didn't happen. I saw it at my bar funnily enough - the locals were so against their rate/tax payer dollars going to fund what they considered a "rugby ground" - you couldn't even talk to them about other events happening there. So in the end we paid just as much (one of my mates is one of the lead architects) to renovate Eden Park and we're still stuck with shitty public transport to it, awful neighbours who moved in to an area with a park but don't want events there, and a council that doesn't have the balls to do what must be done.

Demolish Eden Park, sell the land in the high price Auckland property market. Move the Ports of Auckland to Thames (it's already proposed and is far more convenient than Auckland), build a waterfront stadium and a big retail area at the bottom of Queen Street.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:28 pm
World XV Player

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11847022

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... ew-stadium

It's in the planning,
The same olds will come out to oppose

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Why? Eden park is a fortress. Maybe the best home record there in all sport. Why do we need a new stadium? I think most jafas will look at it that way and nothing will change, and tbh, I don't know if it's really that important. :dontknow: We just don't have the population to support massive spending like that.
Is anyone talking about this outside of this thread? :D
Any political leeches talking about it?
The only thing I've heard, or read, is some really wasted Welshman trying to bring up something we lack, to make him feel wanted. :D

There's plenty of talk about it, but not in particular for a covered stadium.

Eden Park is not a proper functioning ports/event centre because of a number of limitations.

The public transport to get there is awful.
Parking is terrible.
The ground is ridiculous for cricket.
They are severely limited in what they can do with other events because of their *fupping* NIMBY neighbours. Event are limited again about what time they can go until. The neighbours are probably the worst problem Eden Park has. There is a reason Eden Park can't be used to make more money with concerts etc.
The design is awful in a commercial sense. Having to wait 40 minutes in queues to get a beer is absolutely ridiculous - that is so much lost revenue. American sports get it right - lots of bars/food vendors. Parting with your money should be super easy and fast. This does my head in as a former pub owner, I can sit there and count the money they are losing by the minute.
30 minute waits because of the lack of toilets is not acceptable.

It was designed in parts and only functions in parts. Having big events there just turns into a big mess.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next