It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Lions v All Blacks - A decider to replace one of the AIs? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions v All Blacks - A decider to replace one of the AIs?
wombles wrote:
I think the tour deserves to be remembered for the series as it is and as it was set up to be, with both teams giving there all and sharing the spoils, certainly doesnt feel like an anticlimax at all. Shoehorning in another test to force a winner is unnecessary and unworkable as the players and coaches priorities should be with their clubs and national teams leading into the important AI's. As others have already alluded to, a unplanned 4th test cannot regenerate the electric atmosphere that presided over the 3 tests.

I think you will see in the future this series will be celebrated by the Lions squad. Is it movie status, no, but every 10 years or so a good catch up for sure...

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Forrealz wrote:
wombles wrote:
I think the tour deserves to be remembered for the series as it is and as it was set up to be, with both teams giving there all and sharing the spoils, certainly doesnt feel like an anticlimax at all. Shoehorning in another test to force a winner is unnecessary and unworkable as the players and coaches priorities should be with their clubs and national teams leading into the important AI's. As others have already alluded to, a unplanned 4th test cannot regenerate the electric atmosphere that presided over the 3 tests.

I think you will see in the future this series will be celebrated by the Lions squad. Is it movie status, no, but every 10 years or so a good catch up for sure...

The tour will be forgotten by everyone except the people who participated and rugby nerds within weeks.

If the Lions are going to survive in the professional era they have to build the brand to the point where serious investors want in. Maintaining the amateur ethos means it will be dead in 5 years. I know it is not a popular view on here, but there we are. There was a chance to use the series outcome to create an event, but it is not to be.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think wombles has got it spot on ... Top Post :-)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
Forrealz wrote:
wombles wrote:

The tour will be forgotten by everyone except the people who participated and rugby nerds within weeks.

If the Lions are going to survive in the professional era they have to build the brand to the point where serious investors want in. Maintaining the amateur ethos means it will be dead in 5 years. I know it is not a popular view on here, but there we are. There was a chance to use the series outcome to create an event, but it is not to be.

Don't agree - you'll always get the big sponsers wanting to be involved with a Lion's tour plus there is huge support for them at grassroot/rugby supporter level. If you fancy a bet that 'it will be dead in 5 years' then I'm your man for that.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
Forrealz wrote:
wombles wrote:

Don't agree - you'll always get the big sponsers wanting to be involved with a Lion's tour plus there is huge support for them at grassroot/rugby supporter level. If you fancy a bet that 'it will be dead in 5 years' then I'm your man for that.

I'd love to see them back but lions are committed to SA and Aussie.
I'd love a series against the All Blacks in 2years, 2 home games in GB Ireland. 1 in NZ. Like state of origin, have the first one in a fortress in GB, the second aT Eden Park, our fortress so you can almost guarantee at desider in Wales lol. Would be awesome, (for me).

Change the whole thing to suit the modern day era. :D

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The tour is over, the outcome has been decided, time to put it to bed until next time.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:31 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
The tour is over, the outcome has been decided, time to put it to bed until next time.

Why put it to bed?

It is still alive in our minds.

You go sleep and let the men play.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Justic wrote:

Why put it to bed?

Justic punches with the best us at least, I'm sure there's a few Welsh lassies on here. However, I know this tour will haunt me re the resaults a couple times so I'll prob return too, I try not to, but like a few of our players, (I hope they do anyways), minds will return and feel a bit guilty, or what ever they do, regrets of what could have been.
We are slowly weaning away tho, I know I am, but will return toget brassed off with selections, kicks, sending offs, but also me some good play by lions too :thumbup:

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Justic wrote:

Why put it to bed?

Justic punches with the best us at least, I'm sure there's a few Welsh lassies on here. However, I know this tour will haunt me re the resaults a couple times so I'll prob return too, I try not to, but like a few of our players, (I hope they do anyways), minds will return and feel a bit guilty, or what ever they do, regrets of what could have been.
We are slowly weaning away tho, I know I am, but will return toget brassed off with selections, kicks, sending offs, but also me some good play by lions too :thumbup:

I was only kiddin' tongue in cheek :-)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Justic wrote:

Yep Justic, :thumbright:

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Justic wrote:

Yep Justic, :thumbright:

Are the reports not being drafted then?

The report re: the financial impact of Lions Tours is always great to read as a hell of a lot of money changes hands. An invading army numbered in the tens of thousands significantly boosts a small country's economy for the few weeks they're active.

Each Lions Tour is analysed in huge detail by the back room boys who took part. That detailed report is also released - in part - for the scribes to pore over.

Once those two reports are in the public domain, and have been discussed for a couple of weeks, the Tour will be concluded.

That's apart from the usual dozen or so books and recriminations arising from them, of course.

I wonder how referees would be seen by us rugby nuts if they produced books regarding their experiences on Lions tours as well as detailed reports to World Rugby?

:shock: :shock:

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 am
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Justic wrote:

Why put it to bed?

Your mind appears to be well fried.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 am
World XV Player

[quote="Bouch
Each Lions Tour is analysed in huge detail by the back room boys who took part. :[/quote]

:scratch:

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Justic wrote:

Why put it to bed?

Your mind appears to be well fried.

Astute as ever M'Lady!

:-)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Only skimmed through the thread so forgive me if anyone has already said this and moreover it could be heresy...

I have thought that the Lions are always disadvantaged, not only by the fact they have little time to come together and that it is at a time of the season when they are going to be fatigued And, needless to say, they are always the away side. So, is there any mileage in the idea of having the Lions play home tests sometimes, replacing some of the AIs as they stand? of course I imagine the argument against would be that home unions lose revenue, but I think it is a nice idea

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next