It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
JD Lions player of the series 
World XV Player

Post Re: JD Lions player of the series
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I do have sympathy with the ideal that a national side should be made up of those who have a sincere, emotional identification with that country - whether that comes from being born there, growing up there, or being part of its diaspora.

I don't like seeing the likes of Nel, Stander or Payne in national sides but neither am I a fan of seeing Tom Francis, who has never lived in Wales, or played in a Welsh team, and qualifies only through a grandmother. I don't see what right we have to look down on Payne and Stander whilst happily capping Francis.

On the other hand, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of telling people whether they are or are not allowed to consider themselves to be "from" a country - at least to some extent because I wasn't born in Wales myself, but nevertheless certainly identify as Welsh rather than anything else. On that basis, who am I to tell Tom Francis he's not allowed to be Welsh?

There are certainly a few NWQ players either currently or imminently qualified by residency who would have something decent to offer the national side.

Thats a good post mate. :clap:

Thanks.

As examples of the latter, I would definitely mention Hzadleigh Parkes, who has been one of the form centres of the regional game for some years - given our lack of depth at center he would definitely be worth a look (mind you, I would also have given Ben John a go by now).

Another example would be Brok Harries. Yes, yes, he's not really an international level prop. But we have very little cover at TH and Harries is definitely better than Scott Andrews or Rhodri Jones. If one of Lee or Francis get injured who do we turn to? Dillon Lewis is an exciting prospect but Brok would be a safe pair of hands to sit in the squad and keep the bench warm until Dillon is ready.

Jimmy McNichol is looking like a quality player but then so are most of the Scarlets these days, also he's a few years from being qualified yet. Tadgh Beirne, although you'd think the IRFU will snap him up long before it gets to that point. All assuming they would accept the call of course.

You barstards are these the two kiwi boys :thefinger:

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Yep, both New Zealanders

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Yep, both New Zealanders

I'd love to see them play int footy,both good but overlooked here, both good super rugby players and form before leaving

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If you want to see a bit more of Parkes and McNichol, there's plenty here in the Scarlets tries of the season.

Also, worth noting that Pivac took the Scarlets coaching team down to NZ before the start of last season in order to learn and bring back a NZ style of play. The result of that information gathering visit is the style of play and tries galore seen in the clip below.

Enjoy. 8)

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:07 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
If you want to see a bit more of Parkes and McNichol, there's plenty here in the Scarlets tries of the season.

Also, worth noting that Pivac took the Scarlets coaching team down to NZ before the start of last season in order to learn and bring back a NZ style of play. The result of that information gathering visit is the style of play and tries galore seen in the clip below.

Enjoy. 8)

:D

1st try in the try of the season montage is a series of pick and drives. NZ style of play :D

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Barstards :D

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I forgot to say it took them 5 games to get into their stride. :oops:

Watch the last 10 minutes. :D

Forrealzy, its all there for your delight and delectation. 8) :D

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm
World XV Player

STOP, HOLD THE FRONT PAGE........

I GOT THE WRONG SEASON. :oops:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm
World XV Player

Here's the right one. Spot the difference in styles.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
I forgot to say it took them 5 games to get into their stride. :oops:

Watch the last 10 minutes. :D

Forrealzy, its all there for your delight and delectation. 8) :D

Yea I know, it's good :D

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:

majority of those tries in the 1st video should not make a try of the season video list, even parkes try was a crash ball short pass from 2 yards out.

the second video is a different team :shock:

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

majority of those tries in the 1st video should not make a try of the season video list, even parkes try was a crash ball short pass from 2 yards out.

And with Gats abandoning Gatsball, we're going to see more of this for Wales and possibly the other Welsh regions. The pro12 and 6N could be dynamite this coming season. 8)

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 pm
Club Player

Yeah ICE, not that easy to do so I'll believe it when I see it.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
mr messy wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

And with Gats abandoning Gatsball, we're going to see more of this for Wales and possibly the other Welsh regions. The pro12 and 6N could be dynamite this coming season. 8)

I for one, would be very surprised if this happens..

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:25 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
mr messy wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

I for one, would be very surprised if this happens..

He's already shown that he can do it with the Lions.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next