It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
JD Lions player of the series 
International Player

Post Re: JD Lions player of the series
Many have spent the last two or three years slating Foxy as a player who is pedestrian, can't/won't pass a ball and is really pretty much a waste of space on the pitch.

After the last month or so, it turns out that he is actually damn near the complete package. Amongst his other virtues he can catch the ball, pass, defend like a demon and has a remarkable turn of speed.

Maybe a few apologies could be in order. :thumbright:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

x_ile wrote:
Many have spent the last two or three years slating Foxy as a player who is pedestrian, can't/won't pass a ball and is really pretty much a waste of space on the pitch.

After the last month or so, it turns out that he is actually damn near the complete package. Amongst his other virtues he can catch the ball, pass, defend like a demon and has a remarkable turn of speed.

I agree, he should apologise for poor form before!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
I do have sympathy with the ideal that a national side should be made up of those who have a sincere, emotional identification with that country - whether that comes from being born there, growing up there, or being part of its diaspora.

I don't like seeing the likes of Nel, Stander or Payne in national sides but neither am I a fan of seeing Tom Francis, who has never lived in Wales, or played in a Welsh team, and qualifies only through a grandmother. I don't see what right we have to look down on Payne and Stander whilst happily capping Francis.

On the other hand, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of telling people whether they are or are not allowed to consider themselves to be "from" a country - at least to some extent because I wasn't born in Wales myself, but nevertheless certainly identify as Welsh rather than anything else. On that basis, who am I to tell Tom Francis he's not allowed to be Welsh?

There are certainly a few NWQ players either currently or imminently qualified by residency who would have something decent to offer the national side.

Thats a good post mate. :clap:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:06 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
x_ile wrote:

I agree, he should apologise for poor form before!

Very good :clap:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:24 pm
Club Player

ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I do have sympathy with the ideal that a national side should be made up of those who have a sincere, emotional identification with that country - whether that comes from being born there, growing up there, or being part of its diaspora.

I don't like seeing the likes of Nel, Stander or Payne in national sides but neither am I a fan of seeing Tom Francis, who has never lived in Wales, or played in a Welsh team, and qualifies only through a grandmother. I don't see what right we have to look down on Payne and Stander whilst happily capping Francis.

On the other hand, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of telling people whether they are or are not allowed to consider themselves to be "from" a country - at least to some extent because I wasn't born in Wales myself, but nevertheless certainly identify as Welsh rather than anything else. On that basis, who am I to tell Tom Francis he's not allowed to be Welsh?

There are certainly a few NWQ players either currently or imminently qualified by residency who would have something decent to offer the national side.

Thats a good post mate. :clap:

Thanks.

As examples of the latter, I would definitely mention Hadleigh Parkes, who has been one of the form centres of the regional game for some years - given our lack of depth at center he would definitely be worth a look (mind you, I would also have given Ben John a go by now).

Another example would be Brok Harries. Yes, yes, he's not really an international level prop. But we have very little cover at TH and Harries is definitely better than Scott Andrews or Rhodri Jones. If one of Lee or Francis get injured who do we turn to? Dillon Lewis is an exciting prospect but Brok would be a safe pair of hands to sit in the squad and keep the bench warm until Dillon is ready.

Jimmy McNichol is looking like a quality player but then so are most of the Scarlets these days, also he's a few years from being qualified yet. Tadgh Beirne, although you'd think the IRFU will snap him up long before it gets to that point. All assuming they would accept the call of course.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The lack of players in certain positions in Wales - mainly centre and tight head does make me wonder why we lack in these positions and if it is coincidence? If there is a more fundamental reason why we lack in these positions it is worth looking at whether this can be addressed early to ensure positions are attractive.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
The lack of players in certain positions in Wales - mainly centre and tight head does make me wonder why we lack in these positions and if it is coincidence? If there is a more fundamental reason why we lack in these positions it is worth looking at whether this can be addressed early to ensure positions are attractive.

Centre is mainly bad coaching I believe, tight head might be more a lack of professionalism generally

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 am
World XV Player

I think we've lost quite a few centres to long term or serious injuries over the past few seasons. As LE says, lots of promising props seem to lack the will / professionalism needed to get themselves up to the required standard.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:19 am
Club Player

Owen Williams (the Blues center who suffered that awful injury in Singapore), and Ashley Beck who has had ongoing injury issues. I can't think of any other centers we've lost to injury? Maybe I'm missing some obvious ones.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Owen Williams (the Blues center who suffered that awful injury in Singapore), and Ashley Beck who has had ongoing injury issues. I can't think of any other centers we've lost to injury? Maybe I'm missing some obvious ones.
There's the Cardiff guy whose now going to the Ospreys next year. Should know his name but it escapes me at the moment. I think he's been injured a bit but could have a big season with the Os next year. Also, apologies for the lack of names, but the Os had a very promising centre who doesn't seem to have features much last season - I assumed it was injury.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 am
World XV Player

Centre is a key unit skill too and has a fundamental key defensive role.
JD shone not only for his attacking play but for excellent defence ...and aggressive defence whixh is prime.

I think that people ynderrate the centre position, and youngsters look for the glamour and try scoring positions?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
There's the Cardiff guy whose now going to the Ospreys next year. Should know his name but it escapes me at the moment. I think he's been injured a bit but could have a big season with the Os next year. Also, apologies for the lack of names, but the Os had a very promising centre who doesn't seem to have features much last season - I assumed it was injury.

You are thinking of Cory Allen. Also Owen Watkin is injured. He looks another good centre.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 am
Profile E-mail
REF

fair call, I'd have gone for Itoje myself.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 am
Club Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:

You are thinking of Cory Allen. Also Owen Watkin is injured. He looks another good centre.

Watkin is only about 20, he's promising but certainly unproven. His injury wrote off his season but hopefully will be a one-off, I don't really think of him as a Wales Test Center we lost to injury.

Cory Allen has played loads for Wales? He has been rather injury prone though, yes.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Figaro wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Watkin is only about 20, he's promising but certainly unproven. His injury wrote off his season but hopefully will be a one-off, I don't really think of him as a Wales Test Center we lost to injury.

Cory Allen has played loads for Wales? He has been rather injury prone though, yes.

Both players look promising but, yes, have been rather injury-prone. Cory Allen has won around half a dozen caps for Wales - his most notable act being scoring a hat-trick against Uruguay before going off with a hamstring injury. As for Ashley Beck, although he is gradually returning to full fitness, he is still too fragile for Test level and even the Ospreys have to restrict the number of matches where he participates.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next