It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
JD Lions player of the series 
Club Player

Post Re: JD Lions player of the series
ICEverything wrote:
Wales should play the Scarlets pairing of Scott Williams and Foxy at 12 and 13.

This has been the first choice pair since the start of the last six nations. Unfortunately for whatever reason it's never been as effective for Wales as for the Scarlets - it's unclear whether this is because of the combination with Biggar rather than Patchell at 10, Howley instead of Pivac, or something else.

If Wales want a 10 at 12 then Owen Williams is who they should be looking at. He is the only Welsh fly-half (excepting Henson and Hook) who has played extensively at 12 as well as 10. I had hoped we would see him at center during the PI tour but the fact that never happened suggests that using him in that way is not in the management's plans.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Is this about the Lions?

Foxy has been tremendous and now needs a long, long break.

The Lions Tour backs tend to be knackered for around 3 months after the last Test.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:02 am
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

This has been the first choice pair since the start of the last six nations. Unfortunately for whatever reason it's never been as effective for Wales as for the Scarlets - it's unclear whether this is because of the combination with Biggar rather than Patchell at 10, Howley instead of Pivac, or something else.

If Wales want a 10 at 12 then Owen Williams is who they should be looking at. He is the only Welsh fly-half (excepting Henson and Hook) who has played extensively at 12 as well as 10. I had hoped we would see him at center during the PI tour but the fact that never happened suggests that using him in that way is not in the management's plans.

Spot on mate! I'd basically have gone with Scott Williams and Foxy but, whether we like it or not, Scott hasn't really had any kind of form in the past season and a bit? I think Gatland will look at Owen but, I also think he'll have the Doc stick around on the bench to give us that extra impact late on? I did wonder at a possible Biggar and Anscombe pairing but that's a bit daft when you have Williams who has already been an effective 12? Fact is, Foxy is a nailed on 13 whoever we have at 12?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 am
Club Player

Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Spot on mate! I'd basically have gone with Scott Williams and Foxy but, whether we like it or not, Scott hasn't really had any kind of form in the past season and a bit? I think Gatland will look at Owen but, I also think he'll have the Doc stick around on the bench to give us that extra impact late on? I did wonder at a possible Biggar and Anscombe pairing but that's a bit daft when you have Williams who has already been an effective 12? Fact is, Foxy is a nailed on 13 whoever we have at 12?

If we go with any fly half at 10 it should be Owen Williams; Anscombe has never played there.

The idea of Roberts coming on off the bench and beating up tired opposition is appealing, but this was in place all through the 6N and to be honest I didn't see much "impact"; bearing in mind as well that having a center on the bench means you don't generally have space for a back-3.

The lack of depth at center is a real concern. Outside of the first 3 choices (Scott/Foxy/Doc, in whatever order you like), the next choices (Corey Allen and Tyler Morgan) haven't even looked like first choice at their respective regions. The regions lean heavily on NWQs at centre - e.g. Hadleigh Parkes, Rey Lee-lo, Halaholo, Kieron Fonotia.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

ICEverything wrote:
Troron wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Troron wrote:
Can't complain about that at all, he has stepped up massively for the Lions and seemed to be playing more like he does for his club than for Wales. I think it was really between him and Itoje.

yep I think when Itoje curbs his over eagerness he will be a great,I agree on Davies and his playing more like his club side than the international side.
Gatland ball wasn't evident in the three tests, which I was pleased about, I don't agree with many here who say we cant play a passing running game because of the players we have, I aways and still do think that as utter ballux, which JD has proven, from being lambasted as someone who couldn't pass to someone who passes sublimely, He never learned that in the last 12mths he learned that when he was 7,8,9,10
What will Gatland and co bring to the table the next 6N, will be very interesting as it seems we (The welsh lions) can all pass and catch a ball in the worst of conditions....................... I live in hope. :)

I guess the question is who Wales want at 12? Could we see Wales drastically changing to a 2 distributor setup or still retain the bashing setup? I think most teams are shifting towards 2 passers and it would definitely benefit the likes of North if he can get on the end of that with more space.

Wales should play the Scarlets pairing of Scott Williams and Foxy at 12 and 13. They might even consider Patchel at 10.

I'd like to see ..

10. Rhys Patchell
11. Steff Evans
12. George North (Backup of Scott Williams & Owen Watkins when he's back fit).
13. J. Davies
14. Halfpenny
15. Liam Williams

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

If we go with any fly half at 10 it should be Owen Williams; Anscombe has never played there.

The idea of Roberts coming on off the bench and beating up tired opposition is appealing, but this was in place all through the 6N and to be honest I didn't see much "impact"; bearing in mind as well that having a center on the bench means you don't generally have space for a back-3.

The lack of depth at center is a real concern. Outside of the first 3 choices (Scott/Foxy/Doc, in whatever order you like), the next choices (Corey Allen and Tyler Morgan) haven't even looked like first choice at their respective regions. The regions lean heavily on NWQs at centre - e.g. Hadleigh Parkes, Rey Lee-lo, Halaholo, Kieron Fonotia.
I think Hadleigh Parkes will be Welsh Qualified next season. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Do we really want to copy the other Six Nations and start giving out caps to project players, rather than those who qualify at least through either having ancestry or being raised in Wales if not being born here too? It really cheapens what it means to play for your country. Much as I applaud Eddie Jones' improvements of the England team, I really dislike his fetish for handing out caps to PIs and Kiwis. Further, the presence of CJ Stander and Jared Payne in Ireland; WP Nel, Cornell Du Preez and Allan Dell in Scotland; Kelly Haimona, Abraham Steyn, Dries Van Schalkwyk, Dean Budd and Ian Keatley in Italy; Virimi Vakatawa, Scott Spedding, Rory Kockott and Uini Atonio in France etc. is embarrassing for their teams too.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Do we really want to copy the other Six Nations and start giving out caps to project players, rather than those who qualify at least through either having ancestry or being raised in Wales if not being born here too? It really cheapens what it means to play for your country. Much as I applaud Eddie Jones' improvements of the England team, I really dislike his fetish for handing out caps to PIs and Kiwis. Further, the presence of CJ Stander and Jared Payne in Ireland; WP Nel, Cornell Du Preez and Allan Dell in Scotland; Kelly Haimona, Abraham Steyn, Dries Van Schalkwyk, Dean Budd and Ian Keatley in Italy; Virimi Vakatawa, Scott Spedding, Rory Kockott and Uini Atonio in France etc. is embarrassing for their teams too.

I get what you are saying but if you want to win, you need to pick the best players. They have changed the rules recently to make it five in stead of thee before you are allowed to qualify. This will take place in a couple of years.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Figaro wrote:

I'd agree that the Doc doesn't have an impact. He's an intelligent guy but when it comes to rugby he really doesn't think, he knows how to charge forward and try to bash into players and not much else. He has no passing game, no kicking game and isn't exactly an agile runner, he has bulldozer mode and that's it. I think Wales will be better off dumping him entirely and think they actually should have done it about 2 years ago. He is to Wales like Brown is to England, a player who is past it and not performing but denying caps to alternatives. Roberts has been found out and I think what you need against tired players is an element of unpredictability and speed. Even a tired player is capable of plonking themself in the line of a big guy and tackling him, they are not so able to deal with someone who runs around them and makes them move.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

If players adopt citizenship and have passport that is totally acceptable. All of which require minimum of 5 years residence and acceptable country qualifications including language proficiency and have to sit the necessary tests.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 pm
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Otto wrote:
Figaro wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

What do you mean 'do we want to copy...'. We're already doing it and already have such players in the Welsh team.

Having said that, I don't think HP came to Wales with a view to getting a Welsh cap and I don't think for one minute he was part of a WRU master plan. But if he becomes WQ and is deemed to be the best centre in Wales, then why on earth would you not pick him.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:47 pm
World XV Player

Absolutely proved me wrong in the test series. He wouldn't have made my 1st test starting XV and I wasn't convinced he should have been in the second test - but yes, had two excellent games and well deserving of this.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:21 pm
Club Player

I do have sympathy with the ideal that a national side should be made up of those who have a sincere, emotional identification with that country - whether that comes from being born there, growing up there, or being part of its diaspora.

I don't like seeing the likes of Nel, Stander or Payne in national sides but neither am I a fan of seeing Tom Francis, who has never lived in Wales, or played in a Welsh team, and qualifies only through a grandmother. I don't see what right we have to look down on Payne and Stander whilst happily capping Francis.

On the other hand, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of telling people whether they are or are not allowed to consider themselves to be "from" a country - at least to some extent because I wasn't born in Wales myself, but nevertheless certainly identify as Welsh rather than anything else. On that basis, who am I to tell Tom Francis he's not allowed to be Welsh?

There are certainly a few NWQ players either currently or imminently qualified by residency who would have something decent to offer the national side.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Figaro wrote:

I'd agree that the Doc doesn't have an impact. He's an intelligent guy but when it comes to rugby he really doesn't think, he knows how to charge forward and try to bash into players and not much else. He has no passing game, no kicking game and isn't exactly an agile runner, he has bulldozer mode and that's it. I think Wales will be better off dumping him entirely and think they actually should have done it about 2 years ago. He is to Wales like Brown is to England, a player who is past it and not performing but denying caps to alternatives. Roberts has been found out and I think what you need against tired players is an element of unpredictability and speed. Even a tired player is capable of plonking themself in the line of a big guy and tackling him, they are not so able to deal with someone who runs around them and makes them move.

This, in spades... ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:50 pm
World XV Player

The grandmother thing is tenuous, yes. But there is at least some family connection. Increasing to five years is probably a reasonable amount.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next