It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Did Romain Poite handle the game well? 
Club Player

Post Did Romain Poite handle the game well?
Putting to one side his failure to do anything about the AB scrum feeds - at times these looked to be going not into the second but to the back-row - I think Romain Poite handled the Test pretty well, particularly those late moments when there was a lot of soccer-style indignant flapping of arms and calling out going on. (All that stuff's getting to be a blight on the game.)
Those of who remember the likes of the NZ get-out-of-jail against Wales in '78 will perhaps have appreciated his coolness at this point.
It was also nice to see that in such a big match he didn't shy away from a sanction over the challenge on AWJ.
The sportsmanship between skippers Read and Warburton was also nice to see, too.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Did Romain Poite handle the game well?
Dai Mun Forever wrote:
Putting to one side his failure to do anything about the AB scrum feeds - at times these looked to be going not into the second but to the back-row - I think Romain Poite handled the Test pretty well, particularly those late moments when there was a lot of soccer-style indignant flapping of arms and calling out going on. (All that stuff's getting to be a blight on the game.)
Those of who remember the likes of the NZ get-out-of-jail against Wales in '78 will perhaps have appreciated his coolness at this point.
It was also nice to see that in such a big match he didn't shy away from a sanction over the challenge on AWJ.
The sportsmanship between skippers Read and Warburton was also nice to see, too.

Scrum time ABs channel 1 ball was smart.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:38 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Dai Mun Forever wrote:

Scrum time ABs channel 1 ball was smart.

And totally illegal but, ne'er mind hey?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:11 pm
World XV Player

Dai Mun Forever wrote:

Yep maybe ABs won the scrum battle again and in the series. That was great from what we heard Lions were a gonna do

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Are there any scrum halfs anywhere at any level who don't feed now?
As far as the last "off side" he was exactly right but I sure if that had been us a number of social media sights/forums would have exploded by now

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
As far as the last "off side" he was exactly right but I sure if that had been us a number of social media sights/forums would have exploded by now

Yep maybe but, we did win the scrum battle, not the war, but scrum battle was a goody

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:

owens reached for and caught the ball, there was no accident. it was a horseshit call.

worth it for reads reaction though.... nah nah nah sir

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

owens reached for and caught the ball, there was no accident. it was a horseshit call.

worth it for reads reaction though.... nah nah nah sir

Yeah man, hilarious that people actually think any other way. The bloke caught it. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:21 pm
World XV Player

He handled it well EXCEPT for the biggest call of the entire series which he got completely wrong.

It was offside. The laws are clear, the video backs it up. He reached for and played the ball, he made contact with the ball. Its offside every single time.

Other than that he did well enough.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Owens dropped the ball immediately and a New Zealand player picked it up and ran towards the Lions line without the hooker making any attempt to tackle him.

The TMO thought it wasn't a penalty offence and neither did the referee.

Graham Rowntree had improved the Lions scrum and it held together until the end.

An unlikely draw, but it was a draw.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 am
World XV Player

I must say, for the most part this forum has been amazingly rational and well-balanced re ref calls whether one agreed with decisions or not. And that was even before the 'noone lost' draw.

I'd even go so far as to say well done :)

Bouch wrote:
Owens dropped the ball immediately and a New Zealand player picked it up and ran towards the Lions line without the hooker making any attempt to tackle him.

Relevance factor = 0.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:06 am
World XV Player

Poite was good but he did get the first end and last call wrong and then AB shallowness debatable , but neither side were laying the ref just each other so over all 8

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
I must say, for the most part this forum has been amazingly rational and well-balanced re ref calls whether one agreed with decisions or not. And that was even before the 'noone lost' draw.

I'd even go so far as to say well done :)

Bouch wrote:

Relevance factor = 0.

You and I might think so - The TMO clearly did.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 am
World XV Player

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you; he played the ball from an offside position. Where in the laws does it state that 'realization and immediate dropping of the ball' downgrades the initial penalty offence?

It's only a matter of time before the defenders' of the decision are going to start claiming that we are whinging and making excuses blah blah blah.

I don't care - The game is a draw and that's final. But I do think people should know the rules if they want to critique anything...
For example, Owen's offside 'penalty' is clear-cut imo, and I think Read's challenge was a bit questionable because nowadays challenging in the air is such a grey area. All in all, I think Poite did well.

To be clear, we must all realize we are debating the laws - Not the result.

I watched the full game this morning...

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 am
World XV Player

I thought he had a good game apart from the penalty he should have given right at the end.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am