It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:06 am

Gats and Co 
World XV Player

Post Re: Gats and Co
Ewloe wrote:
Any player who was closely involved in drawing a series with the All Blacks in NZ can fairly claim to be pretty good - top class even?

Not according to the WRU haters, Ewloe.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 am
REF

Gatland will go back to Warrenball with Howley's lack of attach nouse added on.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm
Youth Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Donkka wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Donkka wrote:
We have coaches who are afraid to pick youngsters (and not so youngsters - James Davies stand up) either because they think they're not up to it, not ready for it or just too gobby - James, again. When they eventually do pick them they seem to dump them after just a game or two if they don't excel.

The recent tour to Tonga & Samoa was, despite misgivings about the expected ferocious tackling, an opportunity lost I feel although McBryde was forced to blood some youngsters, and they did OK.

We won't progress unless the younger fringe members of the squad are given a fair opportunity to show what they can do and Gatland/Howley/McBryde should see this and hopefully accept that some of the old stagers, their favourites, are now well past their sell by date.

To be fair, in reference to the bold. Surely those are legimtate resons for not picking a player?

My point is that the coaching triumvirate THINK they may not be ready. There's only one way to really find out and that's to play them, a la Eddie Jones. The exception being James Davies who will never wear a Welsh jersey while Gatland and his boys are in power.

I understand what you are saying but the coaches have to make a decision. In their opinion they are picking the best team and chosing the young players that they think are ready. The problem is that many aren't ready becaus the regions aren't good enough.

Yeah, fair comment - just so bloody fraustrating sometimes.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Steve T wrote:
Gatland will go back to Warrenball with Howley's lack of attach nouse added on.

What game plan was played when Biggar was playing for the Lions?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Not a simple question is it. - There are a number of dimensions to consider

1.Could anyone do better that Gatland - possibly.
2 What evidence do we have of that - comparison of other national coaches
3 Is the problem with the Welsh team down to Gatland or are there other factors we should consider
4 If we are rating the players on their Lions performance then does Gatland performance not count

In short Wales have been very lucky to have had Gatland as a coach, all of us remember the situation before he came in, the Welsh team with a couple of honourable exceptions has been dire for 30 years. I note people eager to jump on board the Eddie Jones bandwagon, but in reality all he has done is stop a bunch of decent players from under-performing, and when you consider the playing and financial resources that are available to him, together with the support of a Chief Exec. drawn from the top ranks of international sports management, then one would expect nothing less.

On balance one should also recognise that Gats has benefited from having some outstanding players during his tenure, and if we consider the following, when they were at the top of the game -these players would have graced all sides, with the possible exception of the men in black- Gethin, Adam Jones, Alun-Wyn, Warburton, Lydiate, Falatau, Mike Phillips, Jamie Roberts, JD2, North, Shane Williams - but I cannot see anyone of this quality coming through, although Moriarty and Rob Evans could turn out to be stars.

Did Gats just get lucky or is there a fundamental flaw in the regions development programmes which is preventing decent young players becoming really, really good players.

Gats will go sooner or later, and then we will probably be left with Howley in charge. I am concerned by the prospect, even if he is a decent coach, his record as a head coach is too thin.

I think and hope that the Welsh authorities look closely at what is happening at the Scarlets and if the players performance levels continue to improve, then that's where the future lies -Hopefully after the next world cup

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Dragons are producing good youngsters at the moment - Gwent forwards are always a plus in the pack.

Wales sides will be fine when ALL the regions are producing good players , not just one or two.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:27 pm
International Player

Big And Dull wrote:
eog wrote:
What I'm saying is that those who say Wales can't do any better than being coached by Gatland are wrong. ...The mistake was that the WRU planned too far forward giving Gatland a contract that's practically permanent although effectively only part time given his chronic absenteeism.

Throw some names into the mix who were available at the time and could do better than WG. Gatland's long contract meant that no one could have been appointed two years ago and just as important no one would therefore have made it known to the WRU that they were interested either. If Gatland's contract was over after the last world cup then then options would have been there.
And as far as the "chronic absenteeism" hyperbole, that just makes you look silly
Gatland has spent two of the last five years as Wales coach not as Wales coach but as Coach of the Lions in addition apparently his contract allows months of the year when he can be out of the country ie back in NZ. According to you I'm silly for pointing that out.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
eog wrote:
What I'm saying is that those who say Wales can't do any better than being coached by Gatland are wrong. ...The mistake was that the WRU planned too far forward giving Gatland a contract that's practically permanent although effectively only part time given his chronic absenteeism.

Throw some names into the mix who were available at the time and could do better than WG. Gatland's long contract meant that no one could have been appointed two years ago and just as important no one would therefore have made it known to the WRU that they were interested either. If Gatland's contract was over after the last world cup then then options would have been there.
And as far as the "chronic absenteeism" hyperbole, that just makes you look silly
Gatland has spent two of the last five years as Wales coach not as Wales coach but as Coach of the Lions in addition apparently his contract allows months of the year when he can be out of the country ie back in NZ. According to you I'm silly for pointing that out.

I not certain that the international role is a full time job. Yes, during international periods etc. And the Lions haven't been great but long periods e.g. between the end of the summer tour and start of season.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

eog wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
eog wrote:

Yep

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Blindside wrote:

There is nothing in the development structure or the under 20 results that would say we could be any better than we have been.

Funny how things look different from others' perspective.
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/blacks-north ... gby-360991

Never read such shit, ive watched the college games the standard is far from great.

This statement is amusing "The player pathway that they have here is phenomenal. There are a few little hitches in terms of internal relationships which are hindering it at the moment, but if they had this setup in New Zealand, New Zealand would be even further ahead." *fupping* laughable. Or should i say the implementation of it is laughable, if its so good why do the under 20 normally finishes 6th or 7th in the WC :scratch:

Half the people involved in kids rugby never even played the game its a crock of shit for to many kids. Pre 15 rugby in Wales is a complete and utter lottery.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Blindside wrote:

There is nothing in the development structure or the under 20 results that would say we could be any better than we have been.

Funny how things look different from others' perspective.
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/blacks-north ... gby-360991

Never read such shit, ive watched the college games the standard is far from great.

This statement is amusing "The player pathway that they have here is phenomenal. There are a few little hitches in terms of internal relationships which are hindering it at the moment, but if they had this setup in New Zealand, New Zealand would be even further ahead." *fupping* laughable. Or should i say the implementation of it is laughable, if its so good why do the under 20 normally finishes 6th or 7th in the WC :scratch:

Half the people involved in kids rugby never even played the game its a crock of shit for to many kids. Pre 15 rugby in Wales is a complete and utter lottery.

On surface levels, our school first fifteen comps are pretty good. The tvs coverage traditionally the top first fifteens get is right up there, with views too.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail