It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm

What we learned from Wales' tour of the PIs... 
Club Player

Post What we learned from Wales' tour of the PIs...
Players whose stock has definitely risen:

Kristian Dacey
Dillon Lewis
Cory Hill
Ellis Jenkins
Aaron Shingler
Cory Allen
Steff Evans
Gareth Anscombe

Figaro's Player of the tour: Gareth Anscombe, who looked consistently threatening with the ball and made some great calls. Didn't have a perfect run (who does?) but rightly justified his DC and his place in the Wales' management's plans.
Runner up: Steff Evans - looks like he has a bright international future and will be disappointed if he doesn't get caps in the autumn.

Players who have disappointed:

Nicky Smith
Thomas Young
Sam Davies
Aled Davies
Scott Williams
Tyler Morgan

Figaro's Disappointment of the tour: Sam Davies, who spent both games, particularly against Samoa, looking far more like he did in the Ospreys' disastrous game against Treviso than he did earlier last season. May have been saved from sinking lower in the Wales 10 hierarchy by the fact that Anscombe spent the tour at 15, and Owen Williams was hardly given any game time.
Runner up: Thomas Young, who did little to justify his hype and looked inferior to Ellis Jenkins and no better than Wales' many other back row options.

Thoughts/dissent?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: What we learned from Wales' tour of the PIs...
No mention of Jamie Roberts taking a mud bath for no good reason whatsoever given the play around him?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Anscombe looks steady and reliable. Think he'd make good utility back bench cover, but still see him primarily as a full back.
No one really covered themselves in glory. Sam Davies has been pretty shocking. Jamie Roberts invisible. Nicky Smith fragile in the scrum.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am
World XV Player

Sorry I nuanced my Jamie post rong ..I was edditing it but the board stopped me ...

I should have said:

No mention of Jamie Roberts taking a mud bath for no good reason except for the dull play around him?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:03 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

I guess my ratings are relative to what I was expecting from the players - Jamie didn't achieve much but to be honest I wasn't expecting fireworks from him; he is obviously well past his best now and not going to be in Welsh plans for much longer.

Jonathan Davies' return to form is welcome, but Scott blows hot and cold and we could really do with a young Centre or two to step up.

Thomas Young has been bigged up massively last season yet didn't look anything special; people have been clamouring for Sam Davies to be given his chance for ages, but neither looked appreciably better than our other options in their positions and looked a lot worse than the senior first choice players; to me they were much bigger disappointments than Roberts.

If Wales were playing a test next week and all players were available I would have Anscombe covering 10 and 15 from the bench.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scott Williams has to be a big negative

Has been all season for Wales imo. For a player that seems to have the skills, he's just way to inconsistent at international level

To think some wanted him as the next national captain... :wtf:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I would have expected Dr Bob to have lead by example, but as happens so often, it's the big names who don't turn up.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I would have expected Dr Bob to have lead by example, but as happens so often, it's the big names who don't turn up.

That's the difference between him and Shane .. Shane looked for the ball.

Fact is though that that ball behind the scrum was so slow and tardly delivered that he had no chance except to erupt kick ass and explode with kinetic ability in an unexpected line ... such would have been impressive.

Give me the f'k'n ball might have worked?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Centre is our weakest position and should be a major source of concern.

None of the three options (Doc, Foxy, Scott) have been playing consistently well for club and country for a long time, and even worse, it's far from clear who our future options are:
Owen Williams? Not really a center.
Owen Watkin? Looked good at U20 but totally unproven at senior level.
Tyler Morgan? Early promise hasn't really borne fruit.
Corey Allen? As above, also is being played increasingly on the wing - is that where his future is viewed?
Ashley Beck? Extremely injury prone.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I felt today that Cory Allen had more than most in his tank towards the end. He could be even more aggressive and still finish the game ahead of others.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Figaro wrote:
Players whose stock has definitely risen:

Kristian Dacey
Dillon Lewis
Cory Hill
Ellis Jenkins
Aaron Shingler
Cory Allen
Steff Evans
Gareth Anscombe

Figaro's Player of the tour: Gareth Anscombe, who looked consistently threatening with the ball and made some great calls. Didn't have a perfect run (who does?) but rightly justified his DC and his place in the Wales' management's plans.
Runner up: Steff Evans - looks like he has a bright international future and will be disappointed if he doesn't get caps in the autumn.

Players who have disappointed:

Nicky Smith
Thomas Young
Sam Davies
Aled Davies
Scott Williams
Tyler Morgan

Figaro's Disappointment of the tour: Sam Davies, who spent both games, particularly against Samoa, looking far more like he did in the Ospreys' disastrous game against Treviso than he did earlier last season. May have been saved from sinking lower in the Wales 10 hierarchy by the fact that Anscombe spent the tour at 15, and Owen Williams was hardly given any game time.
Runner up: Thomas Young, who did little to justify his hype and looked inferior to Ellis Jenkins and no better than Wales' many other back row options.

Thoughts/dissent?

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.
Sam Davies was a BIG dissapointment. (Except defence against Tonga)
I thought Aled Davies was really poor today too. Poor kicking and ponderous. I'd have liked to have seen Tomos Williams.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Yes - I haven't seen much of Aled play as I don't really follow the Scarlets but based on this it's a surprise Jonathan Evans wasn't preferred, as seems to be the case at the region. I would have liked to see Williams have a go as he has been very good at the Blues, he was unlucky not to get a cap.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Can't see how Steff Evans covered himself in glory did you not see the first couple of minutes of todays game? He really 5hit out of a Samoan box kick

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't know if the two games are a fa8r means of assessing the abilities of many of the players. There seemed to me to be the understandible poor cohesion that didn't give any player the ability to shine. Put another way, it's likely that most of these players would look better if they were playing alongside a full strength team.

I agree though, Asncombe looked good and Sam Davies struggled but for the latter, I refer to the above paragraph.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Can't see how Steff Evans covered himself in glory did you not see the first couple of minutes of todays game? He really 5hit out of a Samoan box kick

What you are saying is that he did good but still has a few things to work on?

Throw a few Samoans at him in training then ..

Job done!

:D

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 am
Profile E-mail