It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm

What we learned from Wales' tour of the PIs... 
Regional Player

Post Re: What we learned from Wales' tour of the PIs...
Steff had some shocking moments but he did get in two tries and that's something we've had precious little of in recent years. I suppose I could have picked one of the other players rather than Steff as the runner up - Dacey, Cory Hill and Dillon Lewis were good I thought, but both only played the one game. Shingler was very good - perhaps he should have gotten my nod. Then again you know he won't get a look in as soon as Lydiate and King are back healthy again.

I wonder how many players capped will never be seen again? Dafydd Howells was capped by Japan in 2013, as did Harry Robinson. It's more than likely there will be a couple of players for whom this will be the highlight of their international career. Seems a bit unfair perhaps but I'd put my money on Aled Davies.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Can't see how Steff Evans covered himself in glory did you not see the first couple of minutes of todays game? He really 5hit out of a Samoan box kick

What you are saying is that he did good but still has a few things to work on?

Throw a few Samoans at him in training then ..

Job done!

:D

He's an undoubted talent and can't say I've seen him 5hit out before, but opposition coaches will look at that and take note
As far as throwing things at him in training, Samoans, Tumble girls they're all the same

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

What have we learnt from this tour?
Well, one thing for sure, we've got a lot of whinging *fuppers* on this board (assuming we didn't know that previously :D ).

We sent out our 2nd or possibly even 3rd team to play on the other side of the world in appalling conditions against big, aggressive, experienced teams full of South Sea Island head hunters.

- Quite a few youngsters got experience of international rugby for the first time.

- Despite the mixed performances (in terms of quality) they showed plenty of guts and character to win the first one comfortably, and scrape a win in the second game.

:thumbup:

And :thefinger: to the whingers...

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am
World XV Player

The point is ... They Is Wales!

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Donkka wrote:
Old Second Row wrote:
Well, one thing for sure, we've got a lot of whinging *fuppers* on this board (assuming we didn't know that previously :D ).

We sent out our 2nd or possibly even 3rd team to play on the other side of the world in appalling conditions against big, aggressive, experienced teams full of South Sea Island head hunters.

- Quite a few youngsters got experience of international rugby for the first time.

- Despite the mixed performances (in terms of quality) they showed plenty of guts and character to win the first one comfortably, and scrape a win in the second game.

and please give up believing you posts make sense.

mmmmmm

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Old Second Row wrote:

also McBryde has no idea of in game management

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:45 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Old Second Row wrote:

also McBryde has no idea of in game management

I would suggest that lack of game plan options and a team psychology that seems incapable of change in order to play what is in front of them is a Welsh disease at all levels incl Gatland, although he seems to have changed his spots with the Lions.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Old Second Row wrote:

I pointed out similar things in my "Why are people in this forum so negative?" thread. :occasion5:

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Throw in the U-20s and the U-18s and things are coming along :-

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/matchcentre/results_and_fixtures_wales_u20.php

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/matchcentre/results_and_fixtures_wales_u18.php

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 am
World XV Player

The wins against Samoa and tonga with young inexperienced sides is much better than being giving credit for

However general dissatisfaction with pretty much everything related to Welsh rugby is clouding judgement

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

[quote="Figaro"]Steff had some shocking moments but he did get in two tries and that's something we've had precious little of in recent years. I suppose I could have picked one of the other players rather than Steff as the runner up - Dacey, Cory Hill and Dillon Lewis were good I thought, but both only played the one game. Shingler was very good - perhaps he should have gotten my nod. Then again you know he won't get a look in as soon as Lydiate and King are back healthy again.

That is part of the problem. SHingler was outstanding in the Scarlets back row, and plays were set up to use his undoubted athleticism. His speed created several scoring opportunities and he shone as a member of a properly balanced back row.

King has no real position, and Lydiate, while a very good defender, lacks foot speed as the game has become faster.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Steff had some shocking moments but he did get in two tries and that's something we've had precious little of in recent years. I suppose I could have picked one of the other players rather than Steff as the runner up - Dacey, Cory Hill and Dillon Lewis were good I thought, but both only played the one game. Shingler was very good - perhaps he should have gotten my nod. Then again you know he won't get a look in as soon as Lydiate and King are back healthy again.

That is part of the problem. SHingler was outstanding in the Scarlets back row, and plays were set up to use his undoubted athleticism. His speed created several scoring opportunities and he shone as a member of a properly balanced back row.

King has no real position, and Lydiate, while a very good defender, lacks foot speed as the game has become faster.

Don't forget young Davies who should've gone on tour!
That was sinful!

He is a player that I love to watch.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Figaro wrote:

That was sinful!

PArt of the balanced back row..

Barclay off the ball/ game reading
Davies closer to the ball/opportunistic/turnover
Shingler in open space/outside channels for counter attacks

I thought the way the Scarlets used 7 forwards and used James Davies on the outside against Leinster in the semi after Steff was sent off was very clever.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
The wins against Samoa and tonga with young inexperienced sides is much better than being giving credit for

However general dissatisfaction in West Wales with pretty much everything related to Welsh rugby is clouding their judgement.

Absolutely, us in East Wales know our place.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am
Regional Player

Tony Panties wrote:
That was sinful!

Unfortunately you CAN forget James Davies, or at least until at least 2019 as the current coaching team will never pick him. Disgraceful though it is !!!

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm
Profile E-mail