It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 am

Gatland's fixation with Lions a disaster for Wales 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Gatland's fixation with Lions a disaster for Wales
welshy34 wrote:
Troron - you have such a chip on your shoulder mate .. jesus .. get over it.

I'm not the one with the chip on my shoulder, he was the one making stupid remarks about English players (no mention of Irish or Scots not being good enough eh?) and I simply pointed out how stupid they were. If you feel any of what I wrote there was unreasonable then please, do highlight it and explain what's unreasonable about it.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Welshy, a well thought out post! However i am not sure many of us hold out hope of winning the test series, and not many of us think we will win a test! The calls look good, the only wrong one to me is Warbs in the squad at all, CJ, although has made some errors, is better at the moment. JD/JJ 50/50, AWJ was either starting, if he was not then it had to be Lawes/Henderson on the bench as they offer so much more as an impact!

A loss will most likely happen, NZ are settled, we are an invitational team with 3 weeks experience together. We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater when it happens, yet dispassionately review, and then assess who will be in the 2nd test team.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

troron what scots ?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

wombles wrote:
Welshy, a well thought out post! However i am not sure many of us hold out hope of winning the test series, and not many of us think we will win a test! The calls look good, the only wrong one to me is Warbs in the squad at all, CJ, although has made some errors, is better at the moment. JD/JJ 50/50, AWJ was either starting, if he was not then it had to be Lawes/Henderson on the bench as they offer so much more as an impact!

A loss will most likely happen, NZ are settled, we are an invitational team with 3 weeks experience together. We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater when it happens, yet dispassionately review, and then assess who will be in the 2nd test team.

I don't think JJ ia anywhere near based on how he has performed this tour. Great attacking player though.

Having watched Gatland for such a long time I believe that if they lose .. he will make changes for sure.
He could even completely change the shape of the team and try a different approach.
If we win he will probably keep the same team.
Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:17 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

dhook wrote:
RedCard wrote:
So you wanted more Welsh players just because they are Welsh? Owens, North, Warburton..........

or a few less English could be?

No - I stated Wyn Jones should probably have been on the bench. My perspective is a Welsh one. Henry lost the Welsh dressing room after the Lions tour. My concern is that these calls (rights or wrong) will lead to discontent next season. Why are we providing the coaches so much. It should be rotated. I hope the WRU start insisting our coaches focus on their day job.

As I said I really don't get Daly. No doubt a great utility player with a quick rugby brain (good benech option) but an out and out winger I don't think so.

Yes Dhook - agree, only thing I am hoping for is that this generation of players are a bit more professional in their attitude - take their medicine and comeback to try and prove Gatland wrong.

I think the big issue with Henry's Lions was that the Welsh boys played very well on tour, so it wasn't a form thing but a preference from the offset.... you cannot blame Henry really, if you are picking between BoD and Mark Taylor as an example. If both are playing to their best, there was really only one option.... but it can't have done Taylor any good.

I think so far, it might have been slightly different because not many of the Welsh players selected have really put their hands up and said pick me. The only one who did was Liam Williams last time and he's in.... in fact - I feel AWJ and Foxy are fortunate to be in the test team.

However, the one player who I feel has always been disadvantaged is Dan Biggar. He has been "hyped" very much as the third choice No 10. I think you could get odds of 16/1 of him starting the first test. He hasn't done anything awful this time - but not had the chances (due to the huge squad) to play himself in the test team have been limited. I do fear what this tour will do for his relationship with Gat. Gat is clearly telling him - "Sexton and Farrell are better players than you". Sexton especially has not been firing on all cylinders.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am
British & Irish Lions Player

bazzmo wrote:
troron what scots ?

Read the thing I was responding to, I was pointing out that the players he was giving as not fit to be there were all English.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No point in a debate over Gatland fellers for the simple fact, that he may well have been the resounding favourite for coach, and the chap who got the job but, don't forget either, that not a single coach (other than Gats?) ruled themselves in as a possible candidate? The only real alternative would have been a club/regional coach (a la 1971 when Carwyn got the nod?) but in this era, who would have been even a remotely suitable candidate?
We have what we have with a good selection of under-coaches from the UK, all with International, even Lions experience? Worth noting too, he's made his selections based on form for the first test? What's to be negative about?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
No point in a debate over Gatland fellers for the simple fact, that he may well have been the resounding favourite for coach, and the chap who got the job but, don't forget either, that not a single coach (other than Gats?) ruled themselves in as a possible candidate? The only real alternative would have been a club/regional coach (a la 1971 when Carwyn got the nod?) but in this era, who would have been even a remotely suitable candidate?
We have what we have with a good selection of under-coaches from the UK, all with International, even Lions experience? Worth noting too, he's made his selections based on form for the first test? What's to be negative about?

Carwyn was not a National Ciach only because WRU wouldn't buy his powers reserved insistence and their insistence on blazer presence, more's the pity ;)
Lions did.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm
World XV Player

welshy34 wrote:

No *fupping* way :shock:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 pm
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
welshy34 wrote:

No *fupping* way :shock:

:D

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail