It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Lions to call up extra players 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions to call up extra players
There were a few medals at Roak's Drift folk bitched about .. not the least the one for the Italian gangster!

In the fullness of time, all becomes apparent.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Woodward picking players like Andy Titerrell from the outset in 2005 is way worse than what Gatland has done IMO

This is modern sport, the Lions is an amateur concept

Move with the times and all that.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
There were a few medals at Roak's Drift folk bitched about .. not the least the one for the Italian gangster!

If you wait long enough, everything will probably happen :) ;)

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

As a Mathematician that so grates my teeth. The whole idea of Monkey's typing Shakespeare is so absurd as to be ridiculous except to the pythonesque illiterates who say ... 'it could', whilst smiling ignorantly in their sublime misunderstanding of mathematics and its import in the real world.

My humble opinion is that one of the new recruits will play a blinder and shut the nay sayers up big time :-)

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Woodward picking players like Andy Titerrell from the outset in 2005 is way worse than what Gatland has done IMO

Maybe so, yet is following dwarfs that of many a home nation, and it generation of money and income is unarguable. It is maybe more powerful then many care to admit or equally want to see!

The general consensus in rugby is that it is hugely relevant, not only by the countries who are toured, but also by a large majority of us that follow it, and the typed views of you Prys and mine are totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The weight of expectation and importance is hugely in favour of its prolonged and valued place no matter what many of us on here think.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Blindside wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

As a Mathematician that so grates my teeth. The whole idea of Monkey's typing Shakespeare is so absurd as to be ridiculous except to the pythonesque illiterates who say ... 'it could', whilst smiling ignorantly in their sublime misunderstanding of mathematics and its import in the real world.

My humble opinion is that one of the new recruits will play a blinder and shut the nay sayers up big time :-)

Surely that's not the point,

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Blindside wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

go on ..tell me ..what have I said wrong now?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:

This post is wrong on so many levels.

Forget the first sentence, it is a poster's memory without justification.

The second is quite accurate and true. That's what all the bloody fuss is about.

The third is an abandonment of the second and a complete denouncement of the first.

We are in 2017.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Blindside wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

If you cant see it, it would be rather pointless pointing it out, none are so blind than thosewho cannot see :D

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:58 pm
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Blindside wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

If you cant see it, it would be rather pointless pointing it out, none are so blind than thosewho cannot see :D

Why be so oblique? You consider me a bully and have told me so. I just sat dwn to listen instead of fighting is all .. and you laugh in my face.

You at least oughta explain.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:

Maybe so, yet is following dwarfs that of many a home nation, and it generation of money and income is unarguable. It is maybe more powerful then many care to admit or equally want to see!

The general consensus in rugby is that it is hugely relevant, not only by the countries who are toured, but also by a large majority of us that follow it, and the typed views of you Prys and mine are totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The weight of expectation and importance is hugely in favour of its prolonged and valued place no matter what many of us on here think.

I didn't say it was irrelevant and agree that it has a very firm place in rugby. I do enjoy the series' every four years, although it does play havoc with the rugby season

My argument is if it's to stay a relevant fixture in the rugby calendar then it has to move with the times and in this instance the head coach selecting 6 players by proximity to be bench players for a midweek game is a sign that it is. Player welfare, less disruption to other nations and one part of it all that isn't mentioned is the fact that four of the six would have worked with the Lions head coach in the past and know what he expects? I think being able to come in and hit the ground running so to speak would cause a lot less disruption which can only be a good thing, especially during test week

As I said previously, perhaps all four home nations should tour in the same country as the Lions from now on?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
wombles wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:

I didn't say it was irrelevant and agree that it has a very firm place in rugby. I do enjoy the series' every four years, although it does play havoc with the rugby season

My argument is if it's to stay a relevant fixture in the rugby calendar then it has to move with the times and in this instance the head coach selecting 6 players by proximity to be bench players for a midweek game is a sign that it is. Player welfare, less disruption to other nations and one part of it all that isn't mentioned is the fact that four of the six would have worked with the Lions head coach in the past and know what he expects? I think being able to come in and hit the ground running so to speak would cause a lot less disruption which can only be a good thing, especially during test week

As I said previously, perhaps all four home nations should tour in the same country as the Lions from now on?

Are there that many hotels in New Zealand? :D :P :P (just joking)

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 am
British & Irish Lions Player

I hope Cory Hill slaloms his way through the defence to score the winning try from 50 yards.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

What was the justification of not calling up one of the Gray Brothers instead of Cory Hill? are they injured?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

just thinking about this, the lions is an amateur ethos, rugby is now a pro sport. has gatland just forced the issue ultimately for the greater good?

on one side of it, he needs extra players ot prevent people doubling up. to resolve that he's called up players and in no uncertian terms told them they're fodder as backup and not considered as part of the test team. the alternative is he takes 4 hookers, 4 scrum halves, 4 fly halfs, 8 props etc from the start. t hat is massively un-workable. it won't give players a fair chance to challenge for a start, will give a an immediate split like woodwards tour, and won't allow combinations to develop, with too many options in the build up.

the other side of it is the calls that it's devalued the shirt. but wouldn't taken more players who aren't worthy of the short doing just that but in a more underhand way? you're selecting squad fodder from day one and all the baggage that goes with it. The other side of it is players liek hill over launchbury. launchbury is easily the better player. but as someone who was very unlucky to make the main tour, how would it be to tell him at this stage he not going to be considered as a test player? what would it do for his moral? is it better to have someone there who is more than happy to hold tackle bags?

has what gatland done actually the bad thing for the tour? before it started no-one even gave the lions hope of staying with 15 points of the all blacks. does this force them to look at tours and the need for a new professional category of support players?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next