It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Wales v Tonga Friday 16 June '17 
Regional Player

Post Wales v Tonga Friday 16 June '17
Wales team
Wales team to face Tonga:
Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (capt, Harlequins), Steffan Evans (Scarlets); Sam Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Nicky Smith (Ospreys) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets,), Thomas Young (Wasps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Cory Allen (Ospreys).

Surprised to see Seb Davies given the nod over Thornton and Adam Beard, and even more surprised that neither of those two are on the bench. Also no Keelan Giles (is he injured?) Otherwise pretty much as expected. Very glad to see Dillon Lewis on the bench, we need to build depth at TH, also many Scarlets players deservedly involved.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:24 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Wales v Tonga Friday 16 June '17
In Auckland, hope it goes well

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Wales team

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Steffan Evans (Scarlets);
Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (capt, Harlequins),
Sam Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets);

Nicky Smith (Ospreys) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs),
Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons),
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets,), Thomas Young (Wasps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons),

Aled Davies (Scarlets), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Cory Allen (Ospreys).

The backline look good, best of luck everybody. Be aware of the need to duck every now and again.

It's an interesting second row and I like the look of the backrow. Navidi has been good to very good all season.

Tonga played Italy last November and won by a couple of points - this is a tough game on the face of it.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 am
Regional Player

My one concern is the concentration of inexperience on the bench. If the game is going badly, there's no nobody really able to be brought on to steady the ship - yes, the subs might well make an impact despite their inexperience but I would have been tempted to put a few more caps on the bench - it would have been a good place for Cuthbert and maybe Scott Williams, and possibly to start Lewis and bring Francis on if needed (injuries may be an issue though). Also I would have said Tyler Morgan is more deserving of a spot than Corey Allen, though the latter has played a bit on the wing recently and may be viewed as the better bench option.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:29 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
My one concern is the concentration of inexperience on the bench. If the game is going badly, there's no nobody really able to be brought on to steady the ship - yes, the subs might well make an impact despite their inexperience but I would have been tempted to put a few more caps on the bench - it would have been a good place for Cuthbert and maybe Scott Williams, and possibly to start Lewis and bring Francis on if needed (injuries may be an issue though). Also I would have said Tyler Morgan is more deserving of a spot than Corey Allen, though the latter has played a bit on the wing recently and may be viewed as the better bench option.

The young flankers on the bench will be given a hard time, you're right.

12 Wales men in the Lions Squad, an Under-20 World Cup on the go and a Wales Tour Down Under, albeit a very short one.

We'll have a few tried and tested players ready to play in the 6N, should they stay in one piece. All the people moaning about not enough new faces will be quiet for 5 minutes or so, maybe.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Wales team

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Steffan Evans (Scarlets);
Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (capt, Harlequins),
Sam Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets);

Nicky Smith (Ospreys) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs),
Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons),
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets,), Thomas Young (Wasps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons),

Aled Davies (Scarlets), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Cory Allen (Ospreys).

The backline look good, best of luck everybody. Be aware of the need to duck every now and again.

It's an interesting second row and I like the look of the backrow. Navidi has been good to very good all season.

Tonga played Italy last November and won by a couple of points - this is a tough game on the face of it.

I'm still disappointed that Cubby is not in the squad, James Davies is definitely the form 7 in Wales, that he is not even in a second string Wales team, I find this very difficult to believe.
Also, I would have Rhys Patchell at 10 before Sam, I think Sam's prone to kicking is going to prove disastrous against the South Sea Islanders. They will run the ball back at us all day gleefully, thinking that Christmas has come early. Whereas Rhys is far more adept at getting his back line into gaps and taking on the opposition.
I fear Sam's boot will be our undoing, like it was when Ospreys were beaten by Treviso. Let's hope I'm proved wrong, but I doubt it.
I am apprehensive to say the least. :dontknow:

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:49 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Interesting team, be good to see how the new boys go.

Totally agree with the comment on James Davies, his exclusion can only mean that he's upset Gatland - his comment after the presentation ceremony of the Olympic Sevens medal probably. I think it reflects badly on the Welsh coaching hierarchy that they are so mean spirited and look forward to the day that Gatland, Howley and McBride are given their cards by the WRU. Can't wait but knowing Roger, I won't be holding my breath.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

Totally agree with the comment on James Davies, his exclusion can only mean that he's upset Gatland - his comment after the presentation ceremony of the Olympic Sevens medal probably. I think it reflects badly on the Welsh coaching hierarchy that they are so mean spirited and look forward to the day that Gatland, Howley and McBride are given their cards by the WRU. Can't wait but knowing Roger, I won't be holding my breath.

Wayne Pivac and Steven Jones combo would lift Wales to a new level. We have been slowly going downhill with the Gatland ball syndrome.
Losing those two to Wales wouldn't be good for Llanelli though. :crybaby:

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:20 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

BigRed wrote:
Donkka wrote:

Wayne Pivac and Steven Jones combo would lift Wales to a new level. We have been slowly going downhill with the Gatland ball syndrome.
Losing those two to Wales wouldn't be good for Llanelli though. :crybaby:

They'd be my pick and, as an Osprey's supporter, that'd be an added bonus.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Interesting-looking team, although the inexperience among the forwards is a bit concerning.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

What did he say? I can't find any reference to it?

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Play all the youngsters, win or loose all good experience.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No locks anywhere...front 5 and bench are weak...second game will be harder I would think

Cuthbert over Giles, hmm....

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:41 pm
Club Player

MattGaff wrote:
Donkka wrote:

What did he say? I can't find any reference to it?

He very, very sarcastically thanked 'Mr Gatland' for consistently not picking him for Wales with the rest of the sevens squad laughing and egging him on - live on national TV. Must have gone down a storm with Gatland hence he's on his shit list.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:50 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

McBride on the three new caps: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40276266

Talks about Thomas Young having won a lot of MoM awards. Isn't there another talented Welsh back row winning loads of MoM awards that should be there? Navidi, Ellis Jenkins or James King? Nope, these guys were originally selected on the tour, but apparently Gatland and his staff's bruised pride is more important than the development of our national side. Not taking James Davies smacks of unprofessionalism. At least Shingler, a player that absolutely deserves his place, is touring... even though it took an injury to the King for it to happen.

I honestly feel we need new blood and fresh ideas at the top of the national side. For the sake of youth development and avoiding being a laughing stock, I hope the boys have a great tour, but I fear a repeat of Japan where we learnt very little.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next