It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm

(What?) refereeing of scrum spoiling Lions tour 
World XV Player

Post Re: (What?) refereeing of scrum spoiling Lions tour
mr messy wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:
Donkka wrote:
I'm also of the opinion that the Lion's scrum, whoever plays., is shite. Furlong fights his corner well enough but the English props are way over rated as scrummagers despite the Englishcentric media telling us otherwise. I also question if the second rows - including AWJ - are pushing their weight but happy to be educated by the many experts on here.

The AB's will not be bossed in the scrum and I expect them to have superiority there. Faletau's extensive experience of getting the ball away from a retreating scrum will be invaluable here and he is far superior to B. Vunapola, should he have toured, will ever be in this respect.

Spot on that

As it goes I've been very disappointed with most of the English players. Honestly thought they'd be dominating the tour after such a good couple of years, but only a few have really stood up?

y'up. the majority of lions scrum penalties so far appear to be for infringements prior to the put in. when the ball has actually gone in I think the new Zealand teams have edged it slightly overall in the 4 games so far.

It's prob only the two big individual scrums though, the reserve scrum against the blues smoked the blues scrum.
Highlander's did well saying that, Coles must be spewing he is losing credibility pretty quick.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Prys#1 wrote:
As it goes I've been very disappointed with most of the English players. Honestly thought they'd be dominating the tour after such a good couple of years, but only a few have really stood up?

I've been disappointed with the performance of the whole squad to date. I can't help feeling it falls far below that normally expected of Lions players but perhaps that's because of the quality of the opposition. Look at 2005.

The Irish lads in the main seem to be underperforming, the Welsh seem out of form/out of sorts, many of the English players seem to have been way over-rated and it shows - Farrell being the stand-out exception for me - whilst the couple of Scots taken look out of their depth.

Players like Grey, Launchbury, Scott Williams (and that Jock flanker whose name escapes me) would I feel have added more to the tour than some taken plus I'm seriously underwhelmed by Howley as the backs/attack coach. Gatland urgently needs a performance out of North and Warburton (to name just two) to justify their inclusion and vindicate his judgement IMO.

Still, I may be pleasantly surprised but if the SH posters are right about the Maori team strength it could be a long hard day at the office for the Lions on Saturday.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:

I've been disappointed with the performance of the whole squad to date. I can't help feeling it falls far below that normally expected of Lions players but perhaps that's because of the quality of the opposition. Look at 2005.

The Irish lads in the main seem to be underperforming, the Welsh seem out of form/out of sorts, many of the English players seem to have been way over-rated and it shows - Farrell being the stand-out exception for me - whilst the couple of Scots taken look out of their depth.

Players like Grey, Launchbury, Scott Williams (and that Jock flanker whose name escapes me) would I feel have added more to the tour than some taken plus I'm seriously underwhelmed by Howley as the backs/attack coach. Gatland urgently needs a performance out of North and Warburton (to name just two) to justify their inclusion and vindicate his judgement IMO.

Still, I may be pleasantly surprised but if the SH posters are right about the Maori team strength it could be a long hard day at the office for the Lions on Saturday.

Yeah I'd agree with that, it has been a bit flat hasn't it?

I think you're right that the standard of opposition i a big factor in that though

I was expecting so much more from the likes of Nowell, Stander, Henshaw, Joseph and Daly.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11877500
Kaplans take on it

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Forrealz wrote:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11877500
Kaplans take on it

Not exactly enlightening was it ? I reckon the Lion's best bet is to cause as much disruption/problems/trouble/arguements etc., as possible in the scrums and line-outs so that they can blame the Ref. when they get fecking hammered.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail