It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Highlander's vrs the Lions 
International Player

Post Re: Highlander's vrs the Lions
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Dan Biggar had the best first half of any 10, his distribution, in particular, was outstanding. He fell away a little second half, but still a great performance. Webb not far behind.

Dont think we can really fault the style of rugby.... first game it appeared a Gatland style performance, but the Lions today played an exciting brand of rugby in my view, although they lost.
:dontknow:

BS were you happy with the kicking in general play? .....

I think the the skill levels in terms of attack were considerably in favour of the highlanders.

The scrum started well and faded considerably, supposedly our strength?

I do think that Biggar had a good game, as for Webb...usual case of in/out.....he deserves No 2 9 position.

There was some aimless kicking there usually is :)

I would not argue about the skill levels but i think we knew or an idea about the depth of quality and their fundamental understanding of the game as opposed to the one pass, two passes, pick and go, earn the right to go wide.

Regards the scrum, i agree but i would also agree with that we had been more than matched in other games.

My pint is just that we entered into the spirit of things and were not predictable, indeed i thought Biggar orchestrated the first half superbly, varying his use of players leaving the out the back or flat ball option until the last possible moment holding defenders and finding holes. I think its a game we should have won and i thought the refereeing was a little one eyed. Good game

I think the major point is that there is a big gulf between the 'two' Lions teams. What now worries me most is injuries...

I do agree that 10 is now a 3 way choice and that is heartening.

I think Warburton is in some doubt for a test place though?

Maoris will be a good test of the Lions better selection.

Starting to wonder whether Farrel at 12 maybe a good option no one has put their hands up for inside centre yet and maybe a strong running 13 such as JD2 etc would benefit? Prior to the tour I was thinking Farrel 10, Henshaw 12, Joseph 13 - now not sure at all.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ben Te'o has pit his hand up in my view

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Blindside wrote:
Does that hurt?? :thefinger: :thefinger:

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Does that hurt?? :thefinger: :thefinger:

depends where he pit it ;) :P

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:10 pm
Regional Player

Looking to me that the best back division should be:

9: Murray
10: Farrell
11: North
12: Te'o
13: JJ (if they do not try Daly there)
14: Williams/Daly
15: Watson/Williams

So still some choice there, we will know more after saturday.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Looking to me that the best back division should be:

9: Murray
10: Farrell
11: North
12: Te'o
13: JJ (if they do not try Daly there)
14: Williams/Daly
15: Watson/Williams

So still some choice there, we will know more after saturday.

What has Daly done on the tour to be considered as an option for the best backline? :scratch:

He hasn't let anyone down like Nowell has, but hasn't put his hand up ether IMO

I do think that perhaps his versatility could make him a front runner for a bench spot though?

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Dan Biggar had the best first half of any 10, his distribution, in particular, was outstanding. He fell away a little second half, but still a great performance. Webb not far behind.

Dont think we can really fault the style of rugby.... first game it appeared a Gatland style performance, but the Lions today played an exciting brand of rugby in my view, although they lost.

I think the the skill levels in terms of attack were considerably in favour of the highlanders.

I do think that Biggar had a good game, as for Webb...usual case of in/out.....he deserves No 2 9 position.

I would not argue about the skill levels but i think we knew or an idea about the depth of quality and their fundamental understanding of the game as opposed to the one pass, two passes, pick and go, earn the right to go wide.

Regards the scrum, i agree but i would also agree with that we had been more than matched in other games.

My pint is just that we entered into the spirit of things and were not predictable, indeed i thought Biggar orchestrated the first half superbly, varying his use of players leaving the out the back or flat ball option until the last possible moment holding defenders and finding holes. I think its a game we should have won and i thought the refereeing was a little one eyed. Good game

I think the major point is that there is a big gulf between the 'two' Lions teams. What now worries me most is injuries...

Warburton is the best 7 on tour, perhaps the only 7 so do you take a chance and go with him or go with a 6 1/2 My back row 6 SoB, 8 Faletau 7 Warburton.
Our biggest problem is the tactics Gatland will go with bish bang and the ABs will absorb it for 60min, then when we are totally disorganised with subs coming on the Blackness will devour us. Oh yeah tips for waterboy,

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:54 pm
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:

Warburton is the best 7 on tour, perhaps the only 7 so do you take a chance and go with him or go with a 6 1/2 My back row 6 SoB, 8 Faletau 7 Warburton.
Our biggest problem is the tactics Gatland will go with bish bang and the ABs will absorb it for 60min, then when we are totally disorganised with subs coming on the Blackness will devour us. Oh yeah tips for waterboy,

Surely Stander would be in the mix too, with the three starters you said above?

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

bench

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 pm
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:

In form and truly match fit it's difficult to counter Warburton ...but is he there? ...he has been in/out recently and that includes Club rugby.

and, ....I am not convinced about his captaincy, ...Gatland has bought himself a problem there, ...Warbs Welsh Capt...then stepped down, AWJ didn't succeed with Wales but does seem to lead well in up front test matches...Warburton Capt for the Lions...and have to admit that there aren't other convincing candidates.

Ref Aus tour experience I think NZ is a totally different kettle of fish ?

I know that the modern game has multiple captains on the field but I continue to believe that a Leader is essentiial on a tour like this one.

I'd like to see how Moriarty goes ...been injured, ...he's in form and progressing. Then it's a choice of 7 maybe with Faletau nailed in of course. Hope Moriarty gets a game against Maoris.

Hmmm...

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm
International Player

Blindside wrote:

Yes he had slipped my mind - agree he is most likely to start at 12

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:

In form and truly match fit it's difficult to counter Warburton ...but is he there? ...he has been in/out recently and that includes Club rugby.

and, ....I am not convinced about his captaincy, ...Gatland has bought himself a problem there, ...Warbs Welsh Capt...then stepped down, AWJ didn't succeed with Wales but does seem to lead well in up front test matches...Warburton Capt for the Lions...and have to admit that there aren't other convincing candidates.

Ref Aus tour experience I think NZ is a totally different kettle of fish ?

I know that the modern game has multiple captains on the field but I continue to believe that a Leader is essentiial on a tour like this one.

I'd like to see how Moriarty goes ...been injured, ...he's in form and progressing. Then it's a choice of 7 maybe with Faletau nailed in of course. Hope Moriarty gets a game against Maoris.

Hmmm...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PS forgot Mahoney ... he is an ace at breakdown and excellent in the lineout and bloody belligerent too !!... ;)

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 am
World XV Player

yes Mahoney has possibilities haven't seen the team yet came on here to take a look before I did

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 pm
World XV Player

Who's this Mahoney?

:D

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Who's this Mahoney?

:D
O'mahny Mahoney is his nickname :thefinger:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next