It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Lions Ratings 
Regional Player

Post Re: Lions Ratings
simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
Brizzle wrote:
Amusingly the yes answers are strongly correlated with those who play for wales.

We've been through this before and I claim impartiality.

So which ones do you suggest differently?

Actually I believe last time you went through this it was actually with me :D

Mr impartiality. That's you mate.

Only as far as ratings are concerned :shock:

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

awaywardlad wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
Brizzle wrote:
Amusingly the yes answers are strongly correlated with those who play for wales.

Not you mate.The other fella.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

simondavis wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
Brizzle wrote:

I'd say I'm more impartial than a fair few. I just spend more time defending English players because others spend a disproportionate amount of time attacking them, although it's nothing like it was 4 years ago when comments such as not a single English player would get into the Welsh side were pretty common.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:20 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
simondavis wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Troron wrote:
awaywardlad wrote:
Brizzle wrote:

I'd say I'm more impartial than a fair few. I just spend more time defending English players because others spend a disproportionate amount of time attacking them, although it's nothing like it was 4 years ago when comments such as not a single English player would get into the Welsh side were pretty common.

Tbf looking back those statements had some truth? :D

How times have changed :(

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:47 am
Profile E-mail

Prys#1 wrote:

Well it was an exaggerated stance to take but yeah, Wales were definitely better in the 6N than England back then and Gatland definitely proved those of us who criticised his selection of Welsh players wrong when they annihilated Australia in the 3rd test.

I mean you only have to see match threads to know how much I criticise England so... :P

Team out for the next test, not too keen on it. Warburton and AWJ off form, Daly is not a winger, Sexton-Faz combo is unlikely to work with neither on form. Contrary to previous comments, I think Biggar is the best 10 in this tour and best fits the style the Lions are playing. Sexton-Faz requires a wide game with good backs moves and forwards keeping the defences honest, I haven't seen evidence of the Lions being able to produce that in phase play. Willing to be proven wrong of course.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:

Well it was an exaggerated stance to take but yeah, Wales were definitely better in the 6N than England back then and Gatland definitely proved those of us who criticised his selection of Welsh players wrong when they annihilated Australia in the 3rd test.

I mean you only have to see match threads to know how much I criticise England so... :P

Team out for the next test, not too keen on it. Warburton and AWJ off form, Daly is not a winger, Sexton-Faz combo is unlikely to work with neither on form. Contrary to previous comments, I think Biggar is the best 10 in this tour and best fits the style the Lions are playing. Sexton-Faz requires a wide game with good backs moves and forwards keeping the defences honest, I haven't seen evidence of the Lions being able to produce that in phase play. Willing to be proven wrong of course.

I think Farrell has been better! :D

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Very belatedly ratings for the second test.

As we won very tempted to give everyone a good or better mark but I can't !! So

Nos 2-15 good or better
Mako Vunipola - bad

And this week's special mark has been upgraded from a very good to an excellent for
Jerome Garces

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

3rd Test Ratings

I cannot give anyone a bad mark after today's result
although I might waver over a bad for Poite but no all good.

Very good marks today go to Furlong,Itoje ,Jon Davies and
I'm sorry if I doubted you Sam Warburton as both a player
and a captain,you proved me wrong again.

A great result today for the Lions and world rugby.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail

I think the Lions has showed the Welsh players are capable of more than they have shown for Wales for the last 3 years. They will really need to identify the problem.

Farrell has probably done the most to damage his reputation with the Lions. The whole "iceman" image (which I hated every time they brought it up) took a knock as did his defence, although he does play a certain defensive style that relies on cutting down the options quickly rather than necessarily making the tackle.

JD, Warbs and AWJ all got credit. Liam Williams a bit too up and down, moments of brilliance but mixed with failing to do the basics of a FB at times. SOB absolutely fantastic. Itoje, Watson, Teo, Sinckler and Daly I think could all come out better than they went in as well.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Troron wrote:
I think the Lions has showed the Welsh players are capable of more than they have shown for Wales for the last 3 years. They will really need to identify the problem.

Farrell has probably done the most to damage his reputation with the Lions. The whole "iceman" image (which I hated every time they brought it up) took a knock as did his defence, although he does play a certain defensive style that relies on cutting down the options quickly rather than necessarily making the tackle.

JD, Warbs and AWJ all got credit. Liam Williams a bit too up and down, moments of brilliance but mixed with failing to do the basics of a FB at times. SOB absolutely fantastic. Itoje, Watson, Teo, Sinckler and Daly I think could all come out better than they went in as well.

(1) Gatland is a good coach, but Howley and the others are not. (2) There is more to the Welsh team than those who made the Lions tour - forget all the whingers from the other Home Nations, the Welsh contingent was considerably smaller this time than four years ago in Oz. (3) The quality of the four Welsh pro teams is (to say the least) variable and unstable, with the Dragons being possibly the worst top-tier team in the British Isles, while the Blues and Ospreys have also been in decline in recent years. Only the Scarlets have been on a genuinely upward curve in recent times, and I have high expectations for them both in the Pro 12 and Europe this season. (4) Despite what I said in (3), the English and French-based players are not necessarily that wonderful either, with Leigh Halfpenny, George North and Jamie Roberts having especially gone downhill since leaving Wales. (Even Gatland wouldn't select the latter for the Lions tour this time). (5) Related to the above, the decidedly myopic selection decisions in recent years mean that the usual suspects think they can just walk into the Welsh team no matter how mediocre their performances can sometimes actually be, whereas in the Lions there has been a genuine competition for places, which means that no coasting is allowed.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 pm
Profile E-mail

najbritcol wrote:
(1) Gatland is a good coach, but Howley and the others are not. (2) There is more to the Welsh team than those who made the Lions tour - forget all the whingers from the other Home Nations, the Welsh contingent was considerably smaller this time than four years ago in Oz. (3) The quality of the four Welsh pro teams is (to say the least) variable and unstable, with the Dragons being possibly the worst top-tier team in the British Isles, while the Blues and Ospreys have also been in decline in recent years. Only the Scarlets have been on a genuinely upward curve in recent times, and I have high expectations for them both in the Pro 12 and Europe this season. (4) Despite what I said in (3), the English and French-based players are not necessarily that wonderful either, with Leigh Halfpenny, George North and Jamie Roberts having especially gone downhill since leaving Wales. (Even Gatland wouldn't select the latter for the Lions tour this time). (5) Related to the above, the decidedly myopic selection decisions in recent years mean that the usual suspects think they can just walk into the Welsh team no matter how mediocre their performances can sometimes actually be, whereas in the Lions there has been a genuine competition for places, which means that no coasting is allowed.

Point 5 seems to be the main thing that separated the Lions from Wales, beyond obviously the players in the team. You are probably right in that too many of the Welsh squad feel the place is their without trying.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:

Agree with all of this apart from Daly who I think is defensively weak. Farrell came out evens. Sinckler is a beast.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
Troron wrote:

Agree with all of this apart from Daly who I think is defensively weak. Farrell came out evens. Sinckler is a beast.

Sincler great as impact prop, he grew into the scrum, and probably evened the advantage we have had for a while having a beast like Faumuina come on for us. Sinckler nullified that or countered that in a way. He dominated his prop last night, which he didn't do in test 1, so developed well. Having an effective beast like that on the bench will win or finish off big games.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If you broke the Lions players into groups based on their nationality then it was the Welsh players as a group that came out on top. :)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:02 am
World XV Player

trampie wrote:
If you broke the Lions players into groups based on their nationality then it was the Welsh players as a group that came out on top. :)

Very wummish :D :clap:

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next