It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:56 pm

1st Test... 
World XV Player

Post 1st Test...
What's your best guess at what will be the test 23 then...

Obviously there'll be a few withdrawals and a couple of replacements likely....as happens every series, but what the hell here's mine :D

1.Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. CJ Stander
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Farrell
11. Williams
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. Owens
17. McGrath
18. Sinkler
19. Henderson
20. Falatau
21. Youngs
22. Sexton
23. North

Will probably change tomorrow :D

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: 1st Test...
Prys#1 wrote:

Obviously there'll be a few withdrawals and a couple of replacements likely....as happens every series, but what the hell here's mine :D

1.Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. CJ Stander
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Farrell
11. Williams
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. Owens
17. McGrath
18. Sinkler
19. Henderson
20. Falatau
21. Youngs
22. Sexton
23. North

looks about right to me..... good selection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

i think daly will be in the team on the wing, and watson at 15. once hogg has been targetted in the buildup games and his weaknesses show up then he won't make the starting team, and no place on the bench for him. possibly also seymour on the wing instead of liam.

in the pack o'mahony at 6 instead of stander

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

With the tour schedule I don't want to pick a team yet as I fully expect the injuries to stack up at an alarming rate.
Have they announced the players placed on standby, if they actually do this.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good point major, the team which takes the field for the 2nd 3rd tests is anyone's guess

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

majorblue wrote:
With the tour schedule I don't want to pick a team yet as I fully expect the injuries to stack up at an alarming rate.

Yep, there will no doubt be injuries and there will probably be a few replacements that will start the tests

But if you had to pick a test side out of that squad what would it be, be interesting to see what people thoughts are and what the actual test side will be :thumbright:

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
i think daly will be in the team on the wing, and watson at 15. once hogg has been targetted in the buildup games and his weaknesses show up then he won't make the starting team, and no place on the bench for him. possibly also seymour on the wing instead of liam.

in the pack o'mahony at 6 instead of stander

O Mahoney is a good call and I can see Gats being a big fan.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

majorblue wrote:

Unless they are planning on calling upon players not touring with their national sides do they need a standby list? Scotland will be in Fiji on the day of the first test, Wales in Samoa and Ireland in Japan. With Scotland playing the previous weeks in Singapore and Oz and Wales in NZ they should provide most of the replacements,

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
majorblue wrote:

Unless they are planning on calling upon players not touring with their national sides do they need a standby list? Scotland will be in Fiji on the day of the first test, Wales in Samoa and Ireland in Japan. With Scotland playing the previous weeks in Singapore and Oz and Wales in NZ they should provide most of the replacements,

Good point mate.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm
World XV Player

I like Nick Evans views
Quote:
Former All Blacks first-five Nick Evans says the British and Irish Lions will have an edge with their kicking game, particularly at goal, during the three-test tour of New Zealand.

But the player who has been at Harlequins for nine years and has only two more games for the London club before he hangs up his boots for good, said the All Blacks have a far superior running game, and that is likely to be where they make the tourists pay.

Evans told the Radio Sport Breakfast show today that the kicking games of Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell were excellent, and that the Lions would use those skills and their solid set piece to attempt to build pressure on the All Blacks, but he was doubtful they had the quality to finish off the few attacking opportunities they will get.

"It's a big team, they've got a big forward pack, a very strong forward pack; a good set piece, lineout and maul time," Evans said. "The Super Rugby that I have watched it seems to me that the New Zealand teams are struggling against defending the rolling maul.

A lot of rolling maul tries have been scored.

"This team will - if the All Blacks are ill disciplined - kick to the corner and they will have a very strong set piece especially at maul time.

"The backs are big as well, a couple of big centres in particular - Kiwi-born Ben Te'o and Robbie Henshaw as well... they will be heading down that No10 channel, down Beauden Barrett's channel."

Asked about Barrett's goalkicking, an issue as far as Lions coach Warren Gatland is concerned but not for his opposite Steve Hansen, Evans said: "If you look at someone like Beauden Barrett [he's] unbelievable, probably the best in the world with ball in hand, but he's not kicking goals.

"[Damian] McKenzie is kicking most of the goals for the Chiefs. Jordie Barrett - is he going to be in the team? He's kicking the goals [for Hurricanes]. So if it comes down to a goalkicking competition, at the moment I think the Lions have got the edge."

Evans added of the Lions attacking potential: "Do they have the ability to create the opportunities and then have the quality to ... finish them off? Against the All Blacks I think they will only get three or four opportunities a game. Do they have the ability to nail two or three of those? I don't see that.

"I think they will revert back to type with a big forward pack and hitting down the centre with their big centres."

Evans said the Lions would aim to out-muscle the All Blacks at the breakdown, but Hansen's side have the physicality and ability to match them there and slow their ball.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Leinsterblue wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:

1.Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. CJ Stander
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Farrell
11. Williams
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. Owens
17. McGrath
18. Sinkler
19. Henderson
20. Falatau
21. Youngs
22. Sexton
23. North

looks about right to me..... good selection.

The kiwi way, (which is gospel no mater what FMY's says lol) is that a player like Toby would start at 8, with the more impacting Vunipola would come off the bench at 8.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

In Wales' games there last year, Liam and Faletau stood out..

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 pm
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
I like Nick Evans views
Quote:
Former All Blacks first-five Nick Evans says the British and Irish Lions will have an edge with their kicking game, particularly at goal, during the three-test tour of New Zealand.

But the player who has been at Harlequins for nine years and has only two more games for the London club before he hangs up his boots for good, said the All Blacks have a far superior running game, and that is likely to be where they make the tourists pay.

Evans told the Radio Sport Breakfast show today that the kicking games of Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell were excellent, and that the Lions would use those skills and their solid set piece to attempt to build pressure on the All Blacks, but he was doubtful they had the quality to finish off the few attacking opportunities they will get.

"It's a big team, they've got a big forward pack, a very strong forward pack; a good set piece, lineout and maul time," Evans said. "The Super Rugby that I have watched it seems to me that the New Zealand teams are struggling against defending the rolling maul.

A lot of rolling maul tries have been scored.

"This team will - if the All Blacks are ill disciplined - kick to the corner and they will have a very strong set piece especially at maul time.

"The backs are big as well, a couple of big centres in particular - Kiwi-born Ben Te'o and Robbie Henshaw as well... they will be heading down that No10 channel, down Beauden Barrett's channel."

Asked about Barrett's goalkicking, an issue as far as Lions coach Warren Gatland is concerned but not for his opposite Steve Hansen, Evans said: "If you look at someone like Beauden Barrett [he's] unbelievable, probably the best in the world with ball in hand, but he's not kicking goals.

"[Damian] McKenzie is kicking most of the goals for the Chiefs. Jordie Barrett - is he going to be in the team? He's kicking the goals [for Hurricanes]. So if it comes down to a goalkicking competition, at the moment I think the Lions have got the edge."

Evans added of the Lions attacking potential: "Do they have the ability to create the opportunities and then have the quality to ... finish them off? Against the All Blacks I think they will only get three or four opportunities a game. Do they have the ability to nail two or three of those? I don't see that.

"I think they will revert back to type with a big forward pack and hitting down the centre with their big centres."

Evans said the Lions would aim to out-muscle the All Blacks at the breakdown, but Hansen's side have the physicality and ability to match them there and slow their ball.

Assuming that the rolling maul tries are being scored by other New Zealand Super 12 teams, then it may be the case that the NZ teams aren't shit at defending rolling mauls, more that they are bloody good at scoring from them!

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am
Profile E-mail