It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 pm

England representation on Lions tour - unfair? 
World XV Player

Post Re: England representation on Lions tour - unfair?
I think both Launchbury and Joseph will be very unlucky to miss out. Jamie Roberts is past his best and shouldn't go.
I gather Ford will miss out too. If England have 14 tourists they won't feel too hard done by though.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
I think both Launchbury and Joseph will be very unlucky to miss out. Jamie Roberts is past his best and shouldn't go.
I gather Ford will miss out too. If England have 14 tourists they won't feel too hard done by though.

Depends on the 14, I don't want Gatland taking our youth players that I want to see tested in Argentina. If we are going to be playing Warrenball vs NZ, which it increasingly looks like will be the case, many of the English youth are wasted in such a game plan. I'll await final judgement tomorrow but it sounds like Gatland is going for Warrenball Plus and picking his favourite Welsh players with so added power players all round the park but minimal skill players. Of course if the actual touring team tomorrow is not this then disregard.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

wombles wrote:
Personally I do not mind a hoot how many of which nationality go, once selected they are British and Irish Lions and their nationality becomes irrelevant.

Why does irk me is if players are picked due to past success or because the coach has a personal liking for certain players beyond their recent form, a 'job for the boys' approach if you will. With rumours being released by the press this week (and to be fair they could be completely inaccurate) this Lions selection is looking less of the latter and more of the former, which is damaging to any team let alone the Lions.

Not sure if you're Welsh.....but if not, welcome to our reality. Just heard Roberts is going????

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Roberts would be a fav to go, kiwis like him and are use to him, he is respected by all, but may not be the best centre
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/vi ... _id=174677

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Evan Roberts wrote:
Jamie Roberts will go because he showed in the last tour that he is a popular character that mixes well with other nationalities. He won't make the test side though.

The Guitar will go, he won't..

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Evan Roberts wrote:
Jamie Roberts will go because he showed in the last tour that he is a popular character that mixes well with other nationalities. He won't make the test side though.

The Guitar will go, he won't..

He's going it is a big ask on Gatland heart and brain stuff

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 am
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Some strange picks in this squad but it all points to Warrenball reprise.
I guess he has decided that to take them on in a fluid and expansive style would be rugby suicide and therefore a direct and physical approach is the way to go.
Launchbury out is a strange one as is Nowell in. AWJ was a great player but imo his time, at this level, is over. The Gray brothers must be disappointed and Haskell surely ticked the boxes as a physical unit and a potentially good tourist ( yes I find him annoying but he seems to be well liked within the game).
In the end it won't make great deal of difference as result wise this will be a tour to forget and at least the press now have an entire nation to blame.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile E-mail

majorblue wrote:
I guess he has decided that to take them on in a fluid and expansive style would be rugby suicide and therefore a direct and physical approach is the way to go.
Launchbury out is a strange one as is Nowell in. AWJ was a great player but imo his time, at this level, is over. The Gray brothers must be disappointed and Haskell surely ticked the boxes as a physical unit and a potentially good tourist ( yes I find him annoying but he seems to be well liked within the game).
In the end it won't make great deal of difference as result wise this will be a tour to forget and at least the press now have an entire nation to blame.

I don't see why Nowell is held in such low regard, he has the 2nd highest tries scored per game of any NH winger at international level, behind only Watson. His tries per game also surpass many SH wingers.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Don't mind the squad to be fair and the players people are winging about wouldnt swing the result

Some big calls and Wales have four back row forwards in but only two tight five... says it all really

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
majorblue wrote:

I don't see why Nowell is held in such low regard, he has the 2nd highest tries scored per game of any NH winger at international level, behind only Watson. His tries per game also surpass many SH wingers.

Nowell is not held in low regard. He is an excellent winger and very strong defensively. He merits his place in the squad.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
majorblue wrote:

Im a big fan of Nowell and glad to see him going. He is a great finisher.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm
World XV Player

With regards to the England squad being treated unfairly, yes Launchbury and Haskell. I would also add Johnny May. But what about Scotland and you could say Hibbard has been playing well.

Second row seems to be where the game is going to be played from so Launchbury is head scratcher, however Gray bros have a case.

England are the form team the others are just dirttrackers, and boy are they going to be needed on a huge tour.

I wouldn't rule out any players like Launchbury making a call up.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Pearcey3 wrote:
Troron wrote:
majorblue wrote:

Nowell is not held in low regard. He is an excellent winger and very strong defensively. He merits his place in the squad.

I think he is, not necessarily here but it's so common to hear people saying Nowell is useless and I just don't know where on Earth it comes from. Likewise saying he is slow. He won't match the likes of May or Watson for pace but he could match or beat most wingers in the world and yet this perception still exists.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Nowell is a much better all round player than May. I'm pleased to see him in the squad.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
Nowell is a much better all round player than May. I'm pleased to see him in the squad.

Nowell is only ever half-decent round about Christmas Eve, when they start singing that stuff about him being the first one or something? :D

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 am