It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

England representation on Lions tour - unfair? 
Regional Junior Player

Post England representation on Lions tour - unfair?
Seems that the following England players could be left out:

Lanchburry - that has to be a joke? I am a very biased Welshman, but he deserves to go ahead of Ryan and even Wyn-Jones!
Haskell - I hate to say it but he is extremely effective - especially against us. Either him or Robshaw should be on the tour.
Jonathan Joseph - He offers something very different to the others. I get he may not be the most physical but surely he is someone who can break a game up from the bench?
Ford - fair enough
Brown - don't like the guy but he has probably done more than Halfpenny? We can't just pick Halfpenny for his kicking (and defence), especially as he will not be in the Lions match day squad.

If this happened to the Welsh player I would be absolutely raging

and Anthony Watson would be in my test team! He is a far better winger than Liam Williams or the other Irish or Scots wingers

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: England representation on Lions tour - unfair?
When is the squad announced?

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 pm
Regional Junior Player

loosechange wrote:

Wednesday lunchtime apparently on Sky

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

dhook wrote:
loosechange wrote:

:thumbright: So scumv shit fight kicking off sometime Wednesday arvo! I'll get some popcorn.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

None of this is confirmed and I think England will still have a reasonable representation in the Lions even with the omission of some players. Launchbury and JJ missing out would be the weirdest though as I can't think of any alternatives who played better.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Are some parts leaking, some here say Ben Te'o is in, on radio sport here?

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

loosechange wrote:
dhook wrote:
loosechange wrote:

:thumbright: So scumv shit fight kicking off sometime Wednesday arvo! I'll get some popcorn.
Get a lot :thefinger:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have my special stirring stick ready and waiting :D

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Regional Player

Personally I do not mind a hoot how many of which nationality go, once selected they are British and Irish Lions and their nationality becomes irrelevant.

Why does irk me is if players are picked due to past success or because the coach has a personal liking for certain players beyond their recent form, a 'job for the boys' approach if you will. With rumours being released by the press this week (and to be fair they could be completely inaccurate) this Lions selection is looking less of the latter and more of the former, which is damaging to any team let alone the Lions.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Personally I do not mind a hoot how many of which nationality go, once selected they are British and Irish Lions and their nationality becomes irrelevant.

Why does irk me is if players are picked due to past success or because the coach has a personal liking for certain players beyond their recent form, a 'job for the boys' approach if you will. With rumours being released by the press this week (and to be fair they could be completely inaccurate) this Lions selection is looking less of the latter and more of the former, which is damaging to any team let alone the Lions.

Or is it the case of Gatland picking players that he thinks are suited to the way he wants his team to play?

Gatland has never come across as sentimental or biased coach and has dropped players like rocks if he thinks their time is up. He'll be picking a squad based on what he thinks is best to win a Lions series.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

I agree. If the team is as rumoured, there will be many Welsh players on reputation. I remember the same happening in 2005 when many of the better players got left out. Having said that, I don't think Hartley deserves to go ahead of others.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

If there is any truth in the rumours then what I think we are seeing is a team being selected to play with a certain style rather than the most talented or in form players being picked.
It is looking like a case of crash ball stuff in the backs and a big ugly pack.
Probably wise not to take the AB's on by playing a fast paced running game but I hope the Lions can offer a little bit more than crash, bang and wallop rugby.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

loosechange wrote:

It is leaked 3 players at a time apparently.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

majorblue wrote:
If there is any truth in the rumours then what I think we are seeing is a team being selected to play with a certain style rather than the most talented or in form players being picked.
It is looking like a case of crash ball stuff in the backs and a big ugly pack.
Probably wise not to take the AB's on by playing a fast paced running game but I hope the Lions can offer a little bit more than crash, bang and wallop rugby.

It is interesting if Gatland does go with the crash ball players over some of the players from England that I would argue are more skillfull players. If only as it would imply that Gatland's Wales selection is picked specifically for crash ball rather than because of a lack of selection.

Or put another way, although we lack depth, I reckon that had we had another head coach for the last few years, the players we currently see as regional would be internarionals and some of the internationals would be regional. E.g. Ashley Beck over Jonathan Davies? And all those Scarlets players that the Fans have been saying should be picked ahead of others!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Jamie Roberts will go because he showed in the last tour that he is a popular character that mixes well with other nationalities. He won't make the test side though.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail