It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Lions Fill Squad for fun / banter 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions Fill Squad for fun / banter
najbritcol wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
wombles wrote:
My mental arrhythmic is not to bad Pearcey. There is no limit to squad size, and personally I wanted to select approx 3 per position as it is just for fun.
To answer some of your thoughts, Hasks and Robshaw can do a very good job (although my posts earlier reflect my thoughts on Hasks current form). But these two have been a solid part of an England Team that have slammed, won 18 tests on the trot and also won 3-0 in Australia, Quite a CV of recent form that is applicable to this Lions selection.

Webb is a huge talent, but this is a tour far to soon for him, he is not the leader and man of experience that Laidlaw is, and frankly is still to much a loose cannon that could hurt more than help.

Bowe is an outside shot, and to be fair Maitland would be a good alternative choice. Chances are neither will go.

I bloody hope they have Defibrillators handy and you are bloody right about Web, too chopsy by half and as likely as Hartley to embarrass.

Webb is cheeky and argumentative, but to compare him to that nasty piece of work is far too extreme. (The rehabilitation of Hartley just shows the silly deference towards New Zealanders in world rugby - if he were actually from England he'd have been totally cast aside like Chris Ashton has been).

He would have been dealt with if he was here, on and off the field, get what yr saying but a bit harsh... he is a Pom, and a Pom and British issue.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

here we go again ..slating the Celtic Nation's as Poms just because we original Brits let the english play.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:47 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Hilljills wrote:
There's little point choosing both Sexton and Biggar unless Gatland is committed to launching up and unders against the best back 3 in World Rugby! They play the game the same way. I'm not advocating choosing Russell but I'd not be surprised to see Sexton, Farrell and Ford (or even Cipriani!) chosen for FH position.

The fact Biggar can play 12 will swing it I reckon. With the schedule they have it is very likely that flexibility/utility will be needed. Sexton and Farrell have to be kept for the test matches, which makes the likely squad very thin on numbers at 12.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Aye a third 10 may go as both Farrell and sexton will make the test side. Biggar, Russell, or ford? I think ford is the better player but biggar has a good kicking game. I don't think biggar can play 12 against the all blacks so it may be his kicking that gets him on the tour and he makes few errors

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Aye a third 10 may go as both Farrell and sexton will make the test side. Biggar, Russell, or ford? I think ford is the better player but biggar has a good kicking game. I don't think biggar can play 12 against the all blacks so it may be his kicking that gets him on the tour and he makes few errors

Hogg could play 10 as the 3rd choice but that boat seems to have sailed after the last tour.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Fingal wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

Hogg could play 10 as the 3rd choice but that boat seems to have sailed after the last tour.

Against NZ I think that would be far too risky. 10 more than any other place I think must have a player who plays there as their primary position (9 as well). Hogg would get outplayed as his natural instincts are good for a 15 but would be terrible as a 10.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Beeb reporting that neither Launchbury or Joseph will be in the squad.Very surprising if true. Englwnd with 14 in the squad apparently.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
here we go again ..slating the Celtic Nation's as Poms just because we original Brits let the english play.

We are talking about one individual, Dylan Hartley, not all, and apologies it wasn't a term of endearment to him. Seems to be that we are slated as soon as the violent thug like actions come out, and he gets off lightly, (because he's kiwi for some reason), as far as we are concerned down here he's English, he's been there for long enough now and his roots were from England. Maybe because he has had the rep of being such an idiot we don't want to claim him.
Maybe we have had something to do with his character, but for example who's kiwi, Dyland who arrived at 16, Malo Vunipola who arrived as a boy (born Nz), or Ben Te'o as a man. If they play well they will be English (possibly not celt), if they *fupp* up, I have a feeling their kiwi roots may be chucked in.
Have to take the good with the bad, with these rugby boys. We hardly classify Dylan and Malo as kiwis, Ben you can't help it, he's the true rugby Immigrant, the other two are as well I suppose, but they are English now.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
The Beeb reporting that neither Launchbury or Joseph will be in the squad.Very surprising if true. Englwnd with 14 in the squad apparently.

Thats JD on the plane then

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:

:shock:

That would be a huge surprise, no Joseph especially imo.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Prys#1 wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

In my view both Launchbury and Joseph have had much better seasons than AWJ and JD. I reckon Launchbury has just the sort of skills you need to go toe to toe with the All Blacks, more so than Itoje or Lawes.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eborr wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

In my view both Launchbury and Joseph have had much better seasons than AWJ and JD. I reckon Launchbury has just the sort of skills you need to go toe to toe with the All Blacks, more so than Itoje or Lawes.

Nqat.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Torygraph reporting that the Lions will have 7 props.

Quote:
It is also expected that Joe Marler, Sinckler’s club team-mate who started at loosehead for England throughout the Six Nations, will be included as one of seven props, along with Saracens' Mako Vunipola and Leicester's Dan Cole.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Torygraph reporting that the Lions will have 7 props.

Quote:
It is also expected that Joe Marler, Sinckler’s club team-mate who started at loosehead for England throughout the Six Nations, will be included as one of seven props, along with Saracens' Mako Vunipola and Leicester's Dan Cole.

You need 4 per game..

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 am
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
wombles wrote:
My mental arrhythmic is not to bad Pearcey. There is no limit to squad size, and personally I wanted to select approx 3 per position as it is just for fun.
To answer some of your thoughts, Hasks and Robshaw can do a very good job (although my posts earlier reflect my thoughts on Hasks current form). But these two have been a solid part of an England Team that have slammed, won 18 tests on the trot and also won 3-0 in Australia, Quite a CV of recent form that is applicable to this Lions selection.

Webb is a huge talent, but this is a tour far to soon for him, he is not the leader and man of experience that Laidlaw is, and frankly is still to much a loose cannon that could hurt more than help.

Bowe is an outside shot, and to be fair Maitland would be a good alternative choice. Chances are neither will go.

I bloody hope they have Defibrillators handy and you are bloody right about Web, too chopsy by half and as likely as Hartley to embarrass.

Webb is cheeky and argumentative, but to compare him to that nasty piece of work is far too extreme. (The rehabilitation of Hartley just shows the silly deference towards New Zealanders in world rugby - if he were actually from England he'd have been totally cast aside like Chris Ashton has been).

He would have been dealt with if he was here, on and off the field, get what yr saying but a bit harsh... he is a Pom, and a Pom and British issue.

Sorry I don't understand all the issues around all this, but to kiwis he is English now and it's a British and Irish issue of whether you want him or not, the good bad and ugly. If he comes I think he will get targeted a bit in front row dirt tract team which is the team he would be in you would think. And the risks he brings or doesn't down here in known. He's normally pretty well behaved in NZ? But this is 2 months of week in week out rugby, can he behave for 8 games with a few hookers having a go at the kiwi pom? The risk is known, really does he do much more than tight stuff, leave him behind :D

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next