It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Lions Fill Squad for fun / banter 
Regional Player

Post Re: Lions Fill Squad for fun / banter
My mental arrhythmic is not to bad Pearcey. There is no limit to squad size, and personally I wanted to select approx 3 per position as it is just for fun.
To answer some of your thoughts, Hasks and Robshaw can do a very good job (although my posts earlier reflect my thoughts on Hasks current form). But these two have been a solid part of an England Team that have slammed, won 18 tests on the trot and also won 3-0 in Australia, Quite a CV of recent form that is applicable to this Lions selection.

Webb is a huge talent, but this is a tour far to soon for him, he is not the leader and man of experience that Laidlaw is, and frankly is still to much a loose cannon that could hurt more than help.

Bowe is an outside shot, and to be fair Maitland would be a good alternative choice. Chances are neither will go.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Bowe shouldn't be back from injury for the start of the tour.

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
LH - Vunipola, McGrath, Evans
H - George, Best, Owens,
TH - Furlong, Cole, Sinckler
SR - AWJ(C). Itoje. Launchbury. Kruis. J Gray
FLK - Stander, SOB, Warburton, Tupiric, O'Mahony
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)
SH - Murray, Webb, Youngs
OH - Sexton, Farrell, Bigger(he can tackle unlike Russell and play at centre if required)
C - Henshaw, Joseph, Ringrose, Scott Williams
W - North, Daly, Seymour, Zebo
FB - L Williams, Hogg, Payne

15 former tourists from 2013.

English: 12
Irish: 12
Welsh: 11
Scots: 3

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
My mental arrhythmic is not to bad Pearcey. There is no limit to squad size, and personally I wanted to select approx 3 per position as it is just for fun.
To answer some of your thoughts, Hasks and Robshaw can do a very good job (although my posts earlier reflect my thoughts on Hasks current form). But these two have been a solid part of an England Team that have slammed, won 18 tests on the trot and also won 3-0 in Australia, Quite a CV of recent form that is applicable to this Lions selection.

Webb is a huge talent, but this is a tour far to soon for him, he is not the leader and man of experience that Laidlaw is, and frankly is still to much a loose cannon that could hurt more than help.

Bowe is an outside shot, and to be fair Maitland would be a good alternative choice. Chances are neither will go.

They won't be taking anywhere nead 47 players. That would be ridicu!ous. It will be 37/38.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)
OH - Sexton, Farrell, Bigger(he can tackle unlike Russell and play at centre if required)

Agree with most of those although I think you have been a bit kind with your Wales representaion and a bit tough on England. I think Ford and Watson will both go. I would expect something like 14 England players,11 Irish,9 Welsh and 3 Scots in a 37 man squad.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

I bloody hope they have Defibrillators handy and you are bloody right about Web, too chopsy by half and as likely as Hartley to embarrass.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Forwards (21):

(1) Jack McGrath, Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins
(2) Jamie George, Ken Owens, Rory Best
(3) Tadgh Furlong, John Ryan, Kyle Sinkler
(4) AW Jones, Joe Launchbury,
(5) Maro Itoje, Jonny Gray, Ian Henderson
(6) CJ Stander, Peter O'Mahony, James Haskell
(7) Sam Warburton, Sean O'Brien
(8) Billy Vunipola, Tobe Faletau

Backs (16):

(9) Rhys Webb, Conor Murray, Ben Youngs
(10) Johnny Sexton, Dan Biggar, Finn Russell
(11) Jack Nowell, Anthony Watson
(12) Owen Farrell, Robbie Henshaw
(13) Jonathon Joseph, Gary Ringrose
(14) George North, Elliot Daly
(15) Stuart Hogg, Liam Williams

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)

Wow, 3 Scots from a ream now ranked 5th in the World that beat both Wales and Ireland in the 6N.

Russell is a very proficient defender, to say otherwise would suggest a limited knowledge of the guys game.

Some of the names on there are very bizarre. Ringrose was poor in the 6N, Zebo hasn't scored a try in his last 10 international appearances, Jarred Payne! I'm no Mike Brown fan but I'd choose him every time over Payne.

Really not convinced by George North these days either, Maitland, Visser or Nowell over him I'd suggest.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scotland have improved but this has been their first decent Six Nations in many years. As a result it has propelled them up the rankings. Lets see if they stay there.
Until many of their players have proved they can play consistently well at Test level they are unlikely to be serious contenders for the Lions compared against other home nations teams who they have regularly lost to year after year. Scotland's record against Wales, England and Ireland over the past few years has been dismal. Two wins doesn't change that overnight.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Pearcey3 wrote:
Scotland have improved but this has been their first decent Six Nations in many years. As a result it has propelled them up the rankings. Lets see if they stay there.
Until many of their players have proved they can play consistently well at Test level they are unlikely to be serious contenders for the Lions compared against other home nations teams who they have regularly lost to year after year. Scotland's record against Wales, England and Ireland over the past few years has been dismal. Two wins doesn't change that overnight.

I was saying this as well and got heavily criticised for it. Just to add their record against France has been appalling too. The Scotland team nowadays seems to be largely Glasgow's first choice XV - both teams nowadays may attack very well but have little strength-in-depth and have a tendency to panic and drop off in difficult situations.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
wombles wrote:

I bloody hope they have Defibrillators handy and you are bloody right about Web, too chopsy by half and as likely as Hartley to embarrass.

Webb is cheeky and argumentative, but to compare him to that nasty piece of work is far too extreme. (The rehabilitation of Hartley just shows the silly deference towards New Zealanders in world rugby - if he were actually from England he'd have been totally cast aside like Chris Ashton has been).

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Hilljills wrote:
Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)

Wow, 3 Scots from a ream now ranked 5th in the World that beat both Wales and Ireland in the 6N.

Russell is a very proficient defender, to say otherwise would suggest a limited knowledge of the guys game.

Some of the names on there are very bizarre. Ringrose was poor in the 6N, Zebo hasn't scored a try in his last 10 international appearances, Jarred Payne! I'm no Mike Brown fan but I'd choose him every time over Payne.

Really not convinced by George North these days either, Maitland, Visser or Nowell over him I'd suggest.

Bigger is a better tackler based on this 6 nations stats and as I said can play centre, ideal for dirt trackers. I expect more Scots will join when the NZ teams start breaking up the Lions.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)

Bigger is a better tackler based on this 6 nations stats and as I said can play centre, ideal for dirt trackers. I expect more Scots will join when the NZ teams start breaking up the Lions.

That stat is a bit skewed towards whether Sexton is being played. Also it depends on how long he played for.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Cymru am byth wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)

That stat is a bit skewed towards whether Sexton is being played. Also it depends on how long he played for.

In other words, he is too injury-prone.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
Fingal wrote:

My punt is

(21 Forwards)
H - George, Best, Owens,
No.8 - Faletau, Vunipola

(17)

In other words, he is too injury-prone.

Well, yes and no.

My point was more, if those stats represented only a limited amount of game time. Biggar played all but a few minutes of the tournament.

I'm not saying that one player is better than another, though these stats are misleading. By selective analysis of this sort you could make a similar argmuent:

Kicks missed:

Biggar - 0
Sexton - 0
Russell - 2
Farrell - 7

Clearly on this basis, Biggar and Sexton had a great kicking game this year. Farrell shouldn't be let near kicking duties! ;)

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

There's little point choosing both Sexton and Biggar unless Gatland is committed to launching up and unders against the best back 3 in World Rugby! They play the game the same way. I'm not advocating choosing Russell but I'd not be surprised to see Sexton, Farrell and Ford (or even Cipriani!) chosen for FH position.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next