It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Wales Props 
World XV Player

Post Wales Props
Looking at the ages of our four props are we beginning to see the beginnings of a reincarnation of the Pontypool front row of Graham Price, Bobby Windsor and Charlie Faulkner of Pontypool, Wales and the British Lions.

Rob Evans (age 24) was on the park for 97 minutes against France, some feat!
Tomas Francis (age 24), Samson Lee (age 24) and Nicky Smith (age 22).
I'd be interested to know if any other international front row is that young on average.

Our two hookers against France are old in comparison, but still having a few years in them.
Ken Owens (age 30), Scott Baldwin (age 28)

Young hookers in the wings are Sam Parry (age 25), Ryan Elias (age 22) & Dafydd Hughes (age 21), Kirby Myhill (age 25), & Elliot Dee (age 23).

The above props and hookers are not an exhaustive list but is encouraging.
I wish we could say the same for our backs.

Just as a matter of interest Wales U20 beat the All Blacks in 2012, this was the team:

Wales Under-20: R Jones; T Prydie, C Allen, J Dixon, E Walker; M Morgan, T Habberfield; R Evans, K Myhill (capt), S Lee, R Hughes, M Screech, L Hamilton, D Baker (D Thomas 61), E Jenkins

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Post Re: Wales Props
We have decent strength at LH. Even assuming Jenkins is on the verge of retirement (something you could have said of him for years), Rob Evans has been excellent, Nicky Smith is OK (and still young) and there's also Rhys Gill over at the Blues, who isn't at all bad.

At TH though I am very concerned. It seems Lee has never really recovered from the bad injury he suffered before the 2015 WC, and Francis is very average. Yes, they're both quite young, and may yet improve; but I would choose the two first choice props of almost any other 6N side, and it's not clear who the next choice is - Rhodri Jones and Scott Andrews have had their chance; Nicky Thomas remains unproven, and the other names you might mention have done well at U20 but have a long way to go to even show they can be significant Pro12 players.

Apart from Centre, TH is the position in the Wales side about which I have the most concern.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Still issues at LH and TH to be honest. hopefully they will push on over the next year or so but a lot to do. Hooker is a big problem as well... Owens is the best we have but Baldwin is useless. Dacey is unfashionable but outplayed Hubbard the other week

None of the hookers are particularly good scrrummagers but at least Owens darts hold up when Ball calls the Welsh and scarlets lineout

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Rob Evans is a decent prop. Still think we are struggling at tight head. Francois is an absolute fat bap. Samson Lee is better but has had his injuries.

I liked the look of the U20s tighthead prop who signed for Blues. Hasn't had much game time because of some horrendous selections - Scott Andrews - WTF?! How's he got a pro contract, he's shite!!

Ken Owens is decent, Baldwin isn't. Sam Parry should be brought through.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
We have decent strength at LH. Even assuming Jenkins is on the verge of retirement (something you could have said of him for years), Rob Evans has been excellent, Nicky Smith is OK (and still young) and there's also Rhys Gill over at the Blues, who isn't at all bad.

At TH though I am very concerned. It seems Lee has never really recovered from the bad injury he suffered before the 2015 WC, and Francis is very average. Yes, they're both quite young, and may yet improve; but I would choose the two first choice props of almost any other 6N side, and it's not clear who the next choice is - Rhodri Jones and Scott Andrews have had their chance; Nicky Thomas remains unproven, and the other names you might mention have done well at U20 but have a long way to go to even show they can be significant Pro12 players.

Apart from Centre, TH is the position in the Wales side about which I have the most concern.

I take your point but that may be the current situation. My observation is based on age, how do I our props compare on age with all the other 6N props? Injury free permitting, how will our props improve in four to six years time?

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Daf12 wrote:
I liked the look of the U20s tighthead prop who signed for Blues. Hasn't had much game time because of some horrendous selections - Scott Andrews - WTF?! How's he got a pro contract, he's shite!!

Do you mean Dillon Lewis (TH for the U20 side that got the grand slam last year) or Corey Domachowski (this year's U20 TH)? The former is better but has been carrying an injury for most of this year. It's a real shame as he was looking quite promising at the end of last season.

To be fair on Andrews he has improved immeasurably under Danny Wilson, but yeah, he's not a solution for the national side.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We can only hope that they'll improve with age.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am
Regional Player

Bouch wrote:
We can only hope that they'll improve with age.

To be fair, props don't tend to peak until at least 27, or at least later than most other positions, and they seem to be able to carry on for a little longer than others, particularly backs. At U20s level they've the advantage of playing only against players of their own age; they won't have that advantage again. It may take 4-6 years for players like Lewis and Domachowski to come good, assuming they ever will.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:

To be fair, props don't tend to peak until at least 27, or at least later than most other positions, and they seem to be able to carry on for a little longer than others, particularly backs.

Yep, seems so.

I hope George North and Rhys Webb get a good run of games this next year or so, they're too important to lose every couple of months.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:48 am
World XV Player

I thought Rob Evans was one of the standout players of the 6nations (didn't realise he was so young either), if he can keep improving the way he has then we'll have a great loose head

Tight head on the other hand seems to be a problem....

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Daf12 wrote:

Do you mean Dillon Lewis (TH for the U20 side that got the grand slam last year) or Corey Domachowski (this year's U20 TH)? The former is better but has been carrying an injury for most of this year. It's a real shame as he was looking quite promising at the end of last season.

To be fair on Andrews he has improved immeasurably under Danny Wilson, but yeah, he's not a solution for the national side.

I agree Andrews has improved massively this year and is a decent bench option at pro 12 level. Really not sure why Wilson decided to go with assirati in Europe and not include Andrews in the squad.

Still maintain Evans has a bit to do at international level and his scrummaging is hit and miss and can sometimes do a Paul James and get on the wrong side of the ref

I think Samson will come back through after the first lull in his career. Not going on the lions tour would be good for him

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Daf12 wrote:

I agree Andrews has improved massively this year and is a decent bench option at pro 12 level. Really not sure why Wilson decided to go with assirati in Europe and not include Andrews in the squad.

Still maintain Evans has a bit to do at international level and his scrummaging is hit and miss and can sometimes do a Paul James and get on the wrong side of the ref

I think Samson will come back through after the first lull in his career. Not going on the lions tour would be good for him

Evans has quite an engine, he was on the park for 97 minutes against France.
As regards Samson, I think he'll turn into a really top class tight head, given a few more years.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Daf12 wrote:

Evans has quite an engine, he was on the park for 97 minutes against France.
As regards Samson, I think he'll turn into a really top class tight head, given a few more years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gROd223xK4
max boyce pontypool front row

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Mentioned it in another thread, but I think anarea where the Scots and Irish have stolen a march on us is recruiting quality time servers to fill gaps in their player base. The issue at tight head has been going on for sometime now and although I would not want to see our national team and pro sides full of time servers, I think there are a couple of positions where like the Scots and Irish we could have definitely looked at bringing in players of the quality of Nel and Stander respectively. Tight head is certainly one of those along with a big ball carrying second row.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

http://www.salesharks.com/news/5026.php#.WQoBpMa1vIU
WillGrif John signed up for Sale.
Why does he not feature in the plans for our own Regions.
WillGrif is only 24 and should have a great future.

Wed May 03, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile E-mail