Ireland 66%  66%  [ 14 ]
South Africa 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
France 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

Who should host The 2023 Rugby World Cup 
World XV Player

Post Re: Who should host The 2023 Rugby World Cup
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
In 2023 the border control's will make it impossible for the fans to freely move between stadia and events so Ireland is a non starter.

Thank the Brexit Numpty's for f'k'n up something special.

Not sure if this really applies though? A bit hyperbole.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
In 2023 the border control's will make it impossible for the fans to freely move between stadia and events so Ireland is a non starter.

Thank the Brexit Numpty's for f'k'n up something special.

Not sure if this really applies though? A bit hyperbole.

Worst case scenario is all ... I threw it in as I don't think Brexiteer's should be allowed to forget what they have done.

Our whole history over the last 2000 years has been thrown into the dustbin of egocentric nastyness and it will affect everything ... even the next World Cup.

I would love it to be in Ireland but it is a daunting prospect to expect that things will be peaceful given the abject abandonment of rationality on the mainland.

Hyperbolic?

I guess so.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The sad reality of today's general circumstance is that nowhere is now safe from terrorism and its recent trend to comparative easy means to perpetrate it.

However, of course, we have to fly in its face and not bend the knee.

This guerilla nature is, however, frightening and inhibitive. :(

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 am
World XV Player

I think it should actually be awarded to a single Tier 2 nation, to improve rugby's image across the world, and hopefully inject some kind of interest and money into the Tier 2 nation they choose.

South Africa is a great choice.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:36 am
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
I think it should actually be awarded to a single Tier 2 nation, to improve rugby's image across the world, and hopefully inject some kind of interest and money into the Tier 2 nation they choose.

South Africa is a great choice.

:D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm
World XV Player

Since the terrorist's rule the roost in SA it is probably the safest place ...

and before folk's get liberalist Ansi and start spouting bull ..

how come Zuma is still in charge?

The cretin is a bloody crook supported by ideological maggots.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I hate politics. Can't even escape it in a rugby thread.
*fupp*.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm
Regional Player

I wanted Italy to host it, that would have been great for them and a good middle ground between a "new market" and a traditional Rugby power. They had the stadia and everything, I think it's a crying shame they dropped their bid.

Of the three remaining, I think France is the safest option. If it goes there we know it will go well and make a ton. Ireland is a pretty left-of-centre choice; the stadia aren't ideal and there are travel and accommodation issues, however it would be the billionth WC to be held in the British isles. I don't know much about South Africa but they are probably overdue a hosting. I wouldn't really mind any of those; I suppose for purely selfish reasons I'd prefer one of the European states but in all honesty there's little to no chance I'll attend in person anyway as I can't afford that kind of money.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm not that bothered, SA is basically on our time anyway so you won't have silly KO times

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am
World XV Player

I doubt that SA (RFU and Govt) would want that level of investment despite projected Govt revenue advantage?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Figaro wrote:
I wanted Italy to host it, that would have been great for them and a good middle ground between a "new market" and a traditional Rugby power. They had the stadia and everything, I think it's a crying shame they dropped their bid.

Of the three remaining, I think France is the safest option. If it goes there we know it will go well and make a ton. Ireland is a pretty left-of-centre choice; the stadia aren't ideal and there are travel and accommodation issues, however it would be the billionth WC to be held in the British isles. I don't know much about South Africa but they are probably overdue a hosting. I wouldn't really mind any of those; I suppose for purely selfish reasons I'd prefer one of the European states but in all honesty there's little to no chance I'll attend in person anyway as I can't afford that kind of money.

Give it to a country who hasn't had the opportunity to host it on their own before, Ireland would be perfect, and by the way, they most certainly do have the stadia ( if the GAA allow the use of their stadiums which I think has been approved ) Have always been very well treated on golf and rugby tours to Ireland, they know how to entertain.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ireland would be a good shout. SA are in the SH so they'll have to wait until 2027.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:18 pm
Regional Player

cosh wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Give it to a country who hasn't had the opportunity to host it on their own before, Ireland would be perfect, and by the way, they most certainly do have the stadia ( if the GAA allow the use of their stadiums which I think has been approved ) Have always been very well treated on golf and rugby tours to Ireland, they know how to entertain.

The GAA stadia aren't ideal. The pitch is bigger than that used for Rugby so the stands are further from the action when used for that purpose (no worse than having a running track, but still, this isn't as good as the football stadia that would be used for a French bid).

Furthermore, whilst the stadia have impressive listed capacities, a great number of those proposed for use have relatively few seats and have many uncovered stands, e.g.
MacHale park:
Fitgerald stadium:
Pearse stadium
Casement Park

It might actually be the World cup bid with the fewest actual seats. I'm not just picking random GAA grounds - these are the ones actually included in the 2023 bid. Yes, it would include the impressive Croke Park, which is fully seated and massive. But the only Rugby-specific stadium of any size is the Aviva, which means they will need to use the above stadiums - which are in the 30-40k margin - for a fair few games featuring 6N and Southern Hemisphere teams.

Yes, there's no reason you can't have extensive terraces and they're legal in the bid (this isn't football), and to be fair I think the plan is to at least partially renovate some of the stadiums, but you have to admit these aren't comparable to the kinds of stadiums France or South Africa will be able to offer. Most of them were built in the mid 20th-century and they're not necessarily in the best condition to host a modern sporting event.

I'm actually (as stated) neutral on who gets the WC, but it's not just a case of looking at a list of stadiums and their capacity and saying "There you go, they've got plenty of seats to host it."

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:37 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Figaro wrote:
cosh wrote:
Figaro wrote:

The GAA stadia aren't ideal. The pitch is bigger than that used for Rugby so the stands are further from the action when used for that purpose (no worse than having a running track, but still, this isn't as good as the football stadia that would be used for a French bid).

Furthermore, whilst the stadia have impressive listed capacities, a great number of those proposed for use have relatively few seats and have many uncovered stands, e.g.
MacHale park:
Fitgerald stadium:
Pearse stadium
Casement Park

It might actually be the World cup bid with the fewest actual seats. I'm not just picking random GAA grounds - these are the ones actually included in the 2023 bid. Yes, it would include the impressive Croke Park, which is fully seated and massive. But the only Rugby-specific stadium of any size is the Aviva, which means they will need to use the above stadiums - which are in the 30-40k margin - for a fair few games featuring 6N and Southern Hemisphere teams.

Yes, there's no reason you can't have extensive terraces and they're legal in the bid (this isn't football), and to be fair I think the plan is to at least partially renovate some of the stadiums, but you have to admit these aren't comparable to the kinds of stadiums France or South Africa will be able to offer. Most of them were built in the mid 20th-century and they're not necessarily in the best condition to host a modern sporting event.

I'm actually (as stated) neutral on who gets the WC, but it's not just a case of looking at a list of stadiums and their capacity and saying "There you go, they've got plenty of seats to host it."

Whilst the GAA stadium aren't ideal with the pitch size, some modernisation has happen or is the process of happening if they secure the bid.

Casement Park(Belfast) finally got its planning when it reduced its capacity to 34,900. New design below, work to finish by end 2019. Expected cost £77 million.

Paire Ui Chaoimh(Cork)(redevelopment of €70 million, expected to reopen mid 2017) Capacity 45 k

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Those look good; Belfast in particular deserves to have a really good stadium. Are they both going to be all-seaters, and are there plans to add seats and/or roofs to the other stadia?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail