It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Lions tour Itinerary, good team to win all these 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions tour Itinerary, good team to win all these
sarcyspice wrote:
it was the way the lions wanted it as I believe they said that because there only games that were semi competative on the aussie tour before test 1 were the reds and the warratahs (all without their "test players") they felt like they were goin in underdone....

saying that... this tour is going to be epic... especially if the Kiwi's stick to their word and allow all the potential test players to trot out for their super rugby clubs pre test 1.....

All the teams won't have their test players, the blues should, the saders probably will, the landers and chiefs are 50/50, the canes definitely not. In saying that, we should have strong teams without the test squad, the chiefs last year gave Wales a good going over without many players(I think). There's a shit ton of young players bursting at the seems waiting to get a shot, what better opportunity than the lions!?

I get why some of you don't like the lions, and that's understandable. I reckon the players have a completely different outlook on it than some fans.

If we had a combined team with the cons and the meat eaters, I'd *fupping* love it! 8) It'd be awesome watching them tour and play the best regional/ club teams before going up against each of the 4 nations. Who wouldn't want that!? :cheers:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 pm
International Player

Forrealz wrote:
Re half a century ago, that's it, that's how long ago a competitive Lions team has been here. Well we seem to agree that the Lions have a poor record.

Fiji game, we all know the lions lost to Fiji don't we? It's a well known game in the Islands, no need for most kiwis to search it up, just curious how a good Lions team did, legendary in Fiji though. Make your mind up you said "77 don't know what happened in Fiji"

So the reason why the more recent Lions tours to nz have been a bit one sided has something to do with world rankings and seedlings, yea right...You need to concentrate - a lot of effort and commitment by the four British Isles nations goes into the Lions tours. Effort that they could and should put into their individual national teams instead. In addition the Lions results don't and can't contribute to British isles national teams world rankings. Result - lot of effort for bugger all.
Why would we combine with Aussie, they are shit, You clearly haven't been able to grasp the point - it's not about how good or bad the team you might combine with is but the travesty that a combination team is promoted as the pinnacle of your nation's rugby. who loses to them now a days, Half there players are kiwi, and most you guys would prefer to see the ABs play your teams wouldn't ya. No point there to do it. Again you need to put more thought into what it being put to you

No body else tours our country? Mm Wales did last year. 3 tests and 1 filler game not the same as Lions tours at all.Yep tours don't happen as much, but the Lions *fupp* tour, and they might be good this year. Don't hold your breath

Good luck to the end of year tour for the development of the game, your big boys will be down here having a good toe to toe. Lions tours are great for the hosts and if we're dull enough to provide them I can't really blame you for welcoming them.

Union Jack, not sure what flag they wave, I presume you are not so thick as to not know what a Union Jack flag looks like. However it is not the flag of the Irish republic and as there is no national rugby team of Great Britain and Northern Ireland any Lions fan waving one will be an ignorant tw@t. Keep your eyes open for them. does it sound horrible, don't really care. Just enology the Lions tradition, the Lions in NZ, and the privilege of best of best touring nz.

It would be a privilege for an All Black to play in a combined southern hemisphere side. But a greater privilege than playing for New Zealand, I don't know but if you think it would be then at least you'd be consistent.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Face it; a combined SH team would consist of 15 All Blacks, so there really isn't much point.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

I think you will find that the interest level here is not very high

I don't think you're quite right there.

There is still a huge ground swell of support for the Lions, but it is diminshing, more and more people are going off the idea.

I've never really seen the point but I grew up in the World cup era. I also think that it's the Southern hemispheres secret weapon against the NH. I think there's a reason why historically the French have had more success against the SH teams than other NH teams, their lack of lions mental block - NZ, fantastic team that they are, will by full of super humans and unbeatable without efforts of god like proportions being taken on by the poor plucky Lions - and the involved players take that attitude back to their own nations when they play them.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

There is still a huge ground swell of support for the Lions, but it is diminshing, more and more people are going off the idea.

I've never really seen the point but I grew up in the World cup era. I also think that it's the Southern hemispheres secret weapon against the NH. I think there's a reason why historically the French have had more success against the SH teams than other NH teams, their lack of lions mental block - NZ, fantastic team that they are, will by full of super humans and unbeatable without efforts of god like proportions being taken on by the poor plucky Lions - and the involved players take that attitude back to their own nations when they play them.

I don't think the i terest has reduced. The only people I hear about who don't like it are on this website. Everyone I know that watches rugby enjoys the Lions.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I don't think the i terest has reduced. The only people I hear about who don't like it are on this website. Everyone I know that watches rugby enjoys the Lions.

When I first said that I didn't like the lions about 15 years ago on the old BBC board (and I gave the many and varied reasons for doing so which is far more than a simple couple of sentences), I was called xenephobic and only one other person openly agreed with me (Leighton!). But at least it was one person, at the rugby club I was the only one to hold such an opinion.

Today there are more, both on here and at the club, but I think you might be right about the power of the internet enhancing the view.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

Twenty years ago I was pretty much a lone voice and basically the pro Lions argument was that I was being - disrespectful to the great players who put on the Lions jersey and who I was not worthy enough to lick the boots of.
Now the pro Lions argument is basically - I don't care what you say I think Lions tours are great. I suppose that is progress of sorts as at least Lions supporters now generally admit, even if it's not out loud, that their enjoyment is "paid for" by the rugby costs to the national teams of the four countries involved.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It's kind of sad people are turned off by the lions(but understandable), I think it's bloody awesome! Although us SH folk love to give you lot shit, most of us understand that it's a massive ask winning a three test series, everything is stacked in our favor. When you lot win though, everyone celebrates a little bit. If you lose, it's pretty much what many expect(not wanting to sound arrogant). It's the other way around in the mid week games.

Right now, the NH is strong, the poms are no.2, Ireland are going alright and they beat us for the first time ever last year. The scots and Wales are pretty much cruising along at their usual pace. I'm hoping you can put a good team together and this year it looks like the bulk of the team will be poms(good for everyone on here I would've thought :) ).

It's kind of a shame the lions weren't going to meatland, they'd have a very good chance of a clean sweep. Fingers crossed it's a cracking series, and we win! :occasion5:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 pm
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Forrealz wrote:
Re half a century ago, that's it, that's how long ago a competitive Lions team has been here. Well we seem to agree that the Lions have a poor record.
gees very good :occasion5:

Fiji game, we all know the lions lost to Fiji don't we? It's a well known game in the Islands, no need for most kiwis to search it up, just curious how a good Lions team did, legendary in Fiji though. Make your mind up you said "77 don't know what happened in Fiji"
Your stating the obvious, we all know the result, well most do, and yes youve shown you can google, sooooo with a great team like 77, losing to Fiji, Id like to know more about that game and will, why they lost, was it a great Fiji team etc etc, I hope thats OK, I realise that wont happen in this convo

So the reason why the more recent Lions tours to nz have been a bit one sided has something to do with world rankings and seedlings, yea right...You need to concentrate - a lot of effort and commitment by the four British Isles nations goes into the Lions tours. Effort that they could and should put into their individual national teams instead. In addition the Lions results don't and can't contribute to British isles national teams world rankings. Result - lot of effort for bugger all.
concentrate pfffft thats a bit condescending isnt it? its pretty basic, the teams haven't been good enough to win except 71 and possibly 77, and the 95 team were worrying about rankings?? so they gave no effort?, I think you are trying to find ways to excuse the poor performances. 05 was a good team, but it played one of our great teams.

Why would we combine with Aussie, they are shit, You clearly haven't been able to grasp the point - it's not about how good or bad the team you might combine with is but the travesty that a combination team is promoted as the pinnacle of your nation's rugby.
No point for us, doesn't work and hasn't, the Lions is your guys thing, we just sit back support the rugby occasion, easy. Would you prefer to play Anzacs or All Blacks?, or beat the Anzac's or AB's, you may need to google Anzac? Id prefer to beat the Lions, but would hate to lose to Wales more... I think you need to umm grasp the point from another prospective
who loses to them now a days, Half there players are kiwi, and most you guys would prefer to see the ABs play your teams wouldn't ya. No point there to do it. Again you need to put more thought into what it being put to you
yea yea yea gees you need to get off the superiority buzz, just saying, this is pretty simple discussion, it could get more in depth if ya really want it....
No body else tours our country? Mm Wales did last year. 3 tests and 1 filler game not the same as Lions tours at all.
so not a tour then?
Yep tours don't happen as much, but the Lions *fupp* tour, and they might be good this year. Don't hold your breath

Good luck to the end of year tour for the development of the game, your big boys will be down here having a good toe to toe. Lions tours are great for the hosts and if we're dull enough to provide them I can't really blame you for welcoming them.
gees thats pretty bleak, of course we love the Lions tours, we have for ever, and from most kiwi point of views its not the $$, its the great names that come and the challenge, is that OK and not tooo dull?

Union Jack, not sure what flag they wave, I presume you are not so thick as to not know what a Union Jack flag looks like. However it is not the flag of the Irish republic and as there is no national rugby team of Great Britain and Northern Ireland any Lions fan waving one will be an ignorant tw@t. Keep your eyes open for them.
Grand parents are Irish, there ya go with the superiority thing and gees please with the union jack stuff, I think most kiwis understand all that, again your problem we just want to play rugby against the Lions with as many Irish in the fold as possible..come on mate stop talking basics, we just want to see the Lions,
you guys work out what flag you want to use, just park the *fupping* big stuffed toy on the side and let the boys battle

does it sound horrible, don't really care. Just enjoy the Lions tradition, the Lions in NZ, and the privilege of best of best touring nz.

It would be a privilege for an All Black to play in a combined southern hemisphere side. But a greater privilege than playing for New Zealand, I don't know but if you think it would be then at least you'd be consistent.

Go the *fupping* All Blacks, we'll leave the Anzac's for the real battles, when your countries need some tuff boys at the front line. lol.

Gees *fupp* that, I may have wasted 20 mins of my life lol

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

sorry eog, we may be on diff buzzes here, Im really looking foward to the challenge of having a go at a Lions team who could possibly be the equal at least of us

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... est-series

theres the incentive :thefinger:

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Forrealz wrote:

Like you had anything better to do.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

So there is evidence they don't want to play for Lions and tour NZ?
Just speculation maybe..
I'm pretty sure if they don't want to go they will pull out.
Dylan Hartley and Sam Walberton seem pretty keen to go, yes and before someone enlightens me of who and what they are, Sams injury and Hartleys head to head with his probably better back up for England will be interesting to watch..

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Forrealz wrote:

Like you had anything better to do.

Nah just study and do up house, kids sports, clean our Union Jack, ;)

The lions tour, British and Irish even :D , will be a nightmare for Gatland as he will have to pretty early in the piece have to have a test and dirtrackers team, recent history shows this sucks with entightled private boy schools British players. The English boys will be pain in the arses about all this. This is where a good old kiwi boy like Hartley may be helpful, in battle, sideshow and kiwi knowledge..rugby not flag raising ceremonies and protocols.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Forrealz wrote:
So there is evidence they don't want to play for Lions and tour NZ?
Just speculation maybe.. I don't think there is even speculation amongst the players who potentially will go on tour. They get a lot of money and the chance of celebrity status(effectively more money). They also get status as they will be considered "greater" players by public and media than team mates in their national teams who are not Lions. Great for team spirit and seeing playing for your country being the pinnacle of a player's career that.
I'm pretty sure if they don't want to go they will pull out. in the past players used to pull out and not just for political reasons (apartheid). Gareth Edwards, Gerald Davies and JPR Williams all declined to tour with the 77 Lions. All three were integral to Wales 76 and 78 Grand Slam teams and so were not passed it by any means. However with hundreds of thousands of pounds on offer I doubt if they'd have passed on the opportunity today.
Dylan Hartley and Sam Walberton seem pretty keen to go, yes and before someone enlightens me of who and what they are, Sams injury and Hartleys head to head with his probably better back up for England will be interesting to watch..

With fame and fortune at stake and with so many telling them that they haven't really made as players until they've played for the Lions, players tour when they'd be better off resting. recovering from injuries or even having an operation (Gavin Henson). Player agents are also part of the problem as they will want to cash in with a Lions tour now as their thinking will be hell my player might have a career ending injury playing a club game in September. Bye bye cash cow, Grab the cash when you can will be their motto.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next