It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
Wales XXIII for Summer tour. 
Author Message
International Player

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:00 pm
Posts: 904
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Hang on, what's that peculiar smell?

Oh yes, it's the unmistakeable waft of bullshit


Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 58125
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
tyleri82 wrote:
Hang on, what's that peculiar smell?

Oh yes, it's the unmistakeable waft of bullshit



Which one? Scarlets are better with Aled Davies at 9 and have been all year

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 8115
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
tyleri82 wrote:
13. Ashley Beck


Don't think he'll ever really cut it at International level, he's just too injury prone.


Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 pm
Posts: 221
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
How about Luke Morgan as one of the wingers ? He's been brilliant in the last few 7s tournaments since coming back from injury, he's quick, knows where the try line is and defensively he's sound. He's a similar type of player to Giles and Hewitt but with his experience I'd give him a go


Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 159
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Not short of untested wing options. I can't see them picking a 7s player over proven 15s players like Giles, Hewitt or Steff Evans.


Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 1523
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Langland Exile wrote:
tyleri82 wrote:
Hang on, what's that peculiar smell?

Oh yes, it's the unmistakeable waft of bullshit



Which one? Scarlets are better with Aled Davies at 9 and have been all year


Jonathan Evans has been good too, though seems to have drifted out of the radar in recent weeks.


Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 6949
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.


Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 1523
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Cymru am byth wrote:
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.


Yes, a balance between both, hopefully.


Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 3725
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Luke Hamilton seems to have been featuring pretty regularly at 8 for Leicester recently. Worth a look in the summer?


Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 3725
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.


Yes, a balance between both, hopefully.


Yep. The first XV pretty much picks itself at the moment, but I think there are places up for grabs in the remaining squad positions. Some players could probably do with a rest over the summer, but I would look to be taking a strong spine of a squad with a few younger options to have a look at as well.


Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 58125
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
tom21 wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.


Yes, a balance between both, hopefully.


Yep. The first XV pretty much picks itself at the moment, but I think there are places up for grabs in the remaining squad positions. Some players could probably do with a rest over the summer, but I would look to be taking a strong spine of a squad with a few younger options to have a look at as well.


What is the first choice back row?
Who is the tight head prop?

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:53 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3087
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
I would use the tour to look at some younger players with a genuine future e.g. Giles, Davies or steff Evans

As well as make some decisions about fringe players in the squad. E.g. Dacey... who outplayed "lions hopeful" Hibbard the other day.


Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 3725
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Langland Exile wrote:
tom21 wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.


Yes, a balance between both, hopefully.


Yep. The first XV pretty much picks itself at the moment, but I think there are places up for grabs in the remaining squad positions. Some players could probably do with a rest over the summer, but I would look to be taking a strong spine of a squad with a few younger options to have a look at as well.


What is the first choice back row?
Who is the tight head prop?


Whichever way you look at it LE, the match day backrow 4 (3 starters and one on the bench) is Moriarty, Warburton, Tipuric and Faletau. There is a debate to be had as to who the three starters are (I personally think Faletau and Warburton are automatic choices, so it is a choice between Moriarty and Tipuric), but it is a nice headache to have. I think it will be worth having a look at Cracknell and Young in the summer, but our back row is pretty set for the next two years in preparation for the World Cup at least.

As for tight head, it's a choice between Francis and Lee at the moment. To be honest, Lee might be better off having a rest this summer, but then that raises the question of who else is out there. Dillon Lewis is highly rated at the Blues, but has hardly played this season. It is a bit frustrating that unlike the Irish and Scots, we haven't plugged looked to plug the gaps in our squad with a few quality time servers. Tight head and second row really should have been a priority.


Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 3725
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I would use the tour to look at some younger players with a genuine future e.g. Giles, Davies or steff Evans

As well as make some decisions about fringe players in the squad. E.g. Dacey... who outplayed "lions hopeful" Hibbard the other day.


I would be very reticent to throw a bunch of youngsters together in these tests. We have tried that many times before in the Friday night autumn matches and it hasn't worked. I would take a spine of experienced players and then work some youngsters in around them. First test team something like (presuming none are selected for the Lions):

Patchell, S Evans, S Williams, Roberts, Amos, S Davies, G Davies, R Evans, Hibbard, Francis, Ball, Thornton, Cracknell, Tipuric (c), Moriarty

Subs - Smith, Elias, Lee, B Davies, Young, A Davies, O Williams, Giles

Put Hibbard in because I think we could do with him back in the frame as a replacement for the final stages in games. Doubt it will happen though.


Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 6949
Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
tom21 wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I would use the tour to look at some younger players with a genuine future e.g. Giles, Davies or steff Evans

As well as make some decisions about fringe players in the squad. E.g. Dacey... who outplayed "lions hopeful" Hibbard the other day.


I would be very reticent to throw a bunch of youngsters together in these tests. We have tried that many times before in the Friday night autumn matches and it hasn't worked. I would take a spine of experienced players and then work some youngsters in around them. First test team something like (presuming none are selected for the Lions):

Patchell, S Evans, S Williams, Roberts, Amos, S Davies, G Davies, R Evans, Hibbard, Francis, Ball, Thornton, Cracknell, Tipuric (c), Moriarty

Subs - Smith, Elias, Lee, B Davies, Young, A Davies, O Williams, Giles

Put Hibbard in because I think we could do with him back in the frame as a replacement for the final stages in games. Doubt it will happen though.


It's a tough call regarding the lack of experience. I agree that the Friday Autumn International game is a similar position but we need to blood new players to improve the squad. Assuming they are good enough.


Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigRed and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: