It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
Wales XXIII for Summer tour. 
International Player

Post Re: Wales XXIII for Summer tour.
Hang on, what's that peculiar smell?

Oh yes, it's the unmistakeable waft of bullshit

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tyleri82 wrote:

Which one? Scarlets are better with Aled Davies at 9 and have been all year

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 pm
World XV Player

tyleri82 wrote:
13. Ashley Beck

Don't think he'll ever really cut it at International level, he's just too injury prone.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

How about Luke Morgan as one of the wingers ? He's been brilliant in the last few 7s tournaments since coming back from injury, he's quick, knows where the try line is and defensively he's sound. He's a similar type of player to Giles and Hewitt but with his experience I'd give him a go

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Not short of untested wing options. I can't see them picking a 7s player over proven 15s players like Giles, Hewitt or Steff Evans.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Langland Exile wrote:
tyleri82 wrote:

Which one? Scarlets are better with Aled Davies at 9 and have been all year

Jonathan Evans has been good too, though seems to have drifted out of the radar in recent weeks.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we going with the beat 23 minus those players with the Lions?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

A balance between the above?

I would go with the latter I think.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Out of interest what is everyone's thoughts into the sort of team we should choose?

Are we testing a few youngsters or and making this a kind of A-Team and U20 team, and resting a couple of our 'first choice' (i.e. non Lion)?

Yes, a balance between both, hopefully.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Luke Hamilton seems to have been featuring pretty regularly at 8 for Leicester recently. Worth a look in the summer?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

Yep. The first XV pretty much picks itself at the moment, but I think there are places up for grabs in the remaining squad positions. Some players could probably do with a rest over the summer, but I would look to be taking a strong spine of a squad with a few younger options to have a look at as well.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

Yep. The first XV pretty much picks itself at the moment, but I think there are places up for grabs in the remaining squad positions. Some players could probably do with a rest over the summer, but I would look to be taking a strong spine of a squad with a few younger options to have a look at as well.

What is the first choice back row?
Who is the tight head prop?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:53 am
World XV Player

I would use the tour to look at some younger players with a genuine future e.g. Giles, Davies or steff Evans

As well as make some decisions about fringe players in the squad. E.g. Dacey... who outplayed "lions hopeful" Hibbard the other day.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
tom21 wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

What is the first choice back row?
Who is the tight head prop?

Whichever way you look at it LE, the match day backrow 4 (3 starters and one on the bench) is Moriarty, Warburton, Tipuric and Faletau. There is a debate to be had as to who the three starters are (I personally think Faletau and Warburton are automatic choices, so it is a choice between Moriarty and Tipuric), but it is a nice headache to have. I think it will be worth having a look at Cracknell and Young in the summer, but our back row is pretty set for the next two years in preparation for the World Cup at least.

As for tight head, it's a choice between Francis and Lee at the moment. To be honest, Lee might be better off having a rest this summer, but then that raises the question of who else is out there. Dillon Lewis is highly rated at the Blues, but has hardly played this season. It is a bit frustrating that unlike the Irish and Scots, we haven't plugged looked to plug the gaps in our squad with a few quality time servers. Tight head and second row really should have been a priority.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I would use the tour to look at some younger players with a genuine future e.g. Giles, Davies or steff Evans

As well as make some decisions about fringe players in the squad. E.g. Dacey... who outplayed "lions hopeful" Hibbard the other day.

I would be very reticent to throw a bunch of youngsters together in these tests. We have tried that many times before in the Friday night autumn matches and it hasn't worked. I would take a spine of experienced players and then work some youngsters in around them. First test team something like (presuming none are selected for the Lions):

Patchell, S Evans, S Williams, Roberts, Amos, S Davies, G Davies, R Evans, Hibbard, Francis, Ball, Thornton, Cracknell, Tipuric (c), Moriarty

Subs - Smith, Elias, Lee, B Davies, Young, A Davies, O Williams, Giles

Put Hibbard in because I think we could do with him back in the frame as a replacement for the final stages in games. Doubt it will happen though.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

I would be very reticent to throw a bunch of youngsters together in these tests. We have tried that many times before in the Friday night autumn matches and it hasn't worked. I would take a spine of experienced players and then work some youngsters in around them. First test team something like (presuming none are selected for the Lions):

Patchell, S Evans, S Williams, Roberts, Amos, S Davies, G Davies, R Evans, Hibbard, Francis, Ball, Thornton, Cracknell, Tipuric (c), Moriarty

Subs - Smith, Elias, Lee, B Davies, Young, A Davies, O Williams, Giles

Put Hibbard in because I think we could do with him back in the frame as a replacement for the final stages in games. Doubt it will happen though.

It's a tough call regarding the lack of experience. I agree that the Friday Autumn International game is a similar position but we need to blood new players to improve the squad. Assuming they are good enough.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next