It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Gatland to leave Wales (In my opinion) 
International Player

Post Re: Gatland to leave Wales OFFICIAL
rtlloyd98 wrote:
If Gatland leaves, desperately would like to see Tandy as next coach

I hope you're joking.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland to leave Wales (In my opinion)
redrugbyexile wrote:
Ok maybe not yet, but hear me out.

My prediction is that Gatland will only take a small contingent of Welsh on the Lions tour (five or six at most). The Lions will outmuscle the All Blacks 2-1 largely thanks to the English and Irish.

Gatland will be a hero back in NZ and be touted as Steve Hansen successor. To fulfill the qualification criteria he will be given a provincial contract until 2019.

Gatland resigns his Welsh post ( a big thank you from all at the WRU). The entire coaching team are laid off pronto.

September 2017, Vern Cotter introduced as the new Welsh coach.

Does anybody else see it being played out differently, if so how.

If wishes were fishes ...

Gatland is a successful Lions coach.

Have a look back through history to the last successful Lions Tour.

:D

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland to leave Wales OFFICIAL
najbritcol wrote:
rtlloyd98 wrote:
If Gatland leaves, desperately would like to see Tandy as next coach

ONLY if he wins both the European Challenge Cup and the Pro 12, which is far from impossible.

Agree. The Ospreys have improved under Tandy but he needs to be dominating with them if he wants to be Wales coach. He would also be wise to try a different club if he wants to prove himself. Dai Young seems to have done best here.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Ok maybe not yet, but hear me out.

My prediction is that Gatland will only take a small contingent of Welsh on the Lions tour (five or six at most). The Lions lose.
Gatland will be even less rated in NZ than he is now.
Gatland in the absence of anyone dull enough to pay him anywhere near the salary that the WRU does (for a few months work a year) snuggles down to see out the remainder of his contract. The entire coaching team breath a sigh of relief.

Autumn 2017, business as usual - losing to southern hemisphere teams.

Does anybody else see it being played out differently, if so how.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Gatland want the lions to play Gatland ball, they argue and he looses the dressing room, the team play their own brand of rugby and win, it becomes known whats occurred and Gatland goes to coach the Swis :D :D :D

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Regional Player

Its time for a new broom to come in - I think he's achieved a great deal in the first 5 years with Wales, more than I ever thought I'd see and we've definitely earned our respect back as a rugby nation but the last few years havent seen any development of player base or playing style.

Vern Cotter will be sunning himself in Montpellier and who can blame him, but he's done well with Scotland aided by the excellent work of Gregor Townsend with Glasgow. I cant see him coming to Wales but then Im not sure I want to either - we need somebody more inspirational.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Gatland want the lions to play Gatland ball, they argue and he looses the dressing room, the team play their own brand of rugby and win, it becomes known whats occurred and Gatland goes to coach the Swis :D :D :D

Im thinking that myself...will he take more Wales players because of this so that the team do as theyre told!??

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Rollo wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:

Im thinking that myself...will he take more Wales players because of this so that the team do as theyre told!??

I'm told that the Welsh Reporters will have to pay their own expenses this trip. Trinity Mirror aren't prepared to shell out.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 am
World XV Player

Gatland was lucky that back in 2013 - Wales were the #1 side from the UK and essentially he selected Wales to beat Australia.

This time, Wales are argueably the weakest of the British sides - Gatland isn't going to do anything in NZ with a "Welsh" side this time around. If he fields a largely English / Irish side (which is what he should do for the Lions) then how will the Wales boys react to the coach saying that these players are better.

I think his position will be untenable after the Lions.

And I like the Vern Cotter suggestion a lot!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 am
World XV Player

I am not sure gatland has ever cared what people think so he will make his decisions based on the best squad for the lions then manage the fall out afterwards

If I am being fair to gatland the Welsh players have generally performed poorly so if they aren't selected then it's their fault. Gatland doesn't owe them anything

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:00 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I agree AverageBBCjournalist, but that's why I feel his position will be very difficult post Lions. It is feasible, not likely, but feasible that there will be no Welsh boys in the test team - what would players like Leigh Halfpenny think if his national coach actually truly believes that Stuart Hogg (as an example) is the better than him. The trust will be gone.... as it was for Henry.... in 2013 we were lucky in the fact that we a primarily Welsh team.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 am
World XV Player

It becomes a question of whether history will repeat itself after the precedent of Graham Henry in 2001. It went horribly wrong after that.

I think Gatland will return though and probably see out his contract, unless things go seriously awry.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:10 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

stujones1 wrote:
Gatland was lucky that back in 2013 - Wales were the #1 side from the UK and essentially he selected Wales to beat Australia.

This time, Wales are argueably the weakest of the British sides - Gatland isn't going to do anything in NZ with a "Welsh" side this time around. If he fields a largely English / Irish side (which is what he should do for the Lions) then how will the Wales boys react to the coach saying that these players are better.

I think his position will be untenable after the Lions!

I concur. Shades of the end of the Henry era tbh...

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
stujones1 wrote:

I think his position will be untenable after the Lions!

I concur. Shades of the end of the Henry era tbh...

He will be acutely aware of what happened in the past, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

stujones1 wrote:

This time, Wales are argueably the weakest of the British sides!

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Where the hell did you get that from?

Unbelievable claptrap.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next