It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Gatland to leave Wales (In my opinion) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Gatland to leave Wales (In my opinion)
It is a different era and a different set of players - and Gatland is not Henry so no two scenarios are ever entirely the same. But yes, will be interesting. It does seem sometimes as if the lessons of the past are never learned though.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes, my hope is that we are in a more professional era now - so there will not be toys out of the pram if not selected to either tour or be in the test team.... and yes, hopefully Gatland will have the motivational skills to tell his players (providing he doesn't repeat 2013) and say "okay, at the moment you do not make the grade - but hope you can prove me wrong next winter".

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
stujones1 wrote:
Gatland was lucky that back in 2013 - Wales were the #1 side from the UK and essentially he selected Wales to beat Australia.

This time, Wales are argueably the weakest of the British sides!

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Where the hell did you get that from?

Unbelievable claptrap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/ ... ions/table

That's where I get that from - sorry.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:23 pm
World XV Player

Scores on the doors do not lie. There is little question we have been the weakest British side this year. Ireland have been more efficient, Scotland have shown more flair and England more everything.

On the whole, we were pretty poor.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
stujones1 wrote:
Gatland was lucky that back in 2013 - Wales were the #1 side from the UK and essentially he selected Wales to beat Australia.

This time, Wales are argueably the weakest of the British sides - Gatland isn't going to do anything in NZ with a "Welsh" side this time around. If he fields a largely English / Irish side (which is what he should do for the Lions) then how will the Wales boys react to the coach saying that these players are better.

I think his position will be untenable after the Lions!

I concur. Shades of the end of the Henry era tbh...

He will be acutely aware of what happened in the past, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

My worry is though will he really give a shite though.... he is get paid handsomely to coach the Lions and is under contract with Wales... if players revolt and force him out (worst case scenario) he will get a nice compensation for being sacked in the middle of a contract.

He might already be thinking, what many of us are thinking, that he has taken Wales as far as he can and his nucleus of players are getting past their best.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Ok maybe not yet, but hear me out.

My prediction is that Gatland will only take a small contingent of Welsh on the Lions tour (five or six at most). The Lions lose.
Gatland will be even less rated in NZ than he is now.
Gatland in the absence of anyone dull enough to pay him anywhere near the salary that the WRU does (for a few months work a year) snuggles down to see out the remainder of his contract. The entire coaching team breath a sigh of relief.

Autumn 2017, business as usual - losing to southern hemisphere teams.

Does anybody else see it being played out differently, if so how.

:D :twisted:

Unfortunately I think this is a far more likely scenario than that set out by the original poster.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 pm
World XV Player

Yes, but Gatland was Roger Lewis's man.

If the WRU has the money to throw at Newport, which is a lost cause, why not spend money to improve your cash cow, the national team?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm
World XV Player

Imo, both eras (Lewis and current) have given Gatland too much rope.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

If the WRU has the money to throw at Newport, which is a lost cause, why not spend money to improve your cash cow, the national team?

Because The Stooge & Y Pyped were installed to look after the interests of Benny Factor & CO, not Welsh Rugby? :dontknow:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Because The Stooge & Y Pyped were installed to look after the interests of Benny Factor & CO, not Welsh Rugby? :dontknow:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Easily the most lucrative source of revenue is the national team and have it winning. The goals of the 300 crap hole villages with teams pales by significance.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Easily the most lucrative source of revenue is the national team and have it winning. The goals of the 300 crap hole villages with teams pales by significance.

Need some grass roots to feed those cash cows? ;)

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm
World XV Player

I don't mind Phillips to be fair but Davies I don't have much time for

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

You do need to put some perspective on this. Remember Phillips background, he is a consultant, and consultants make a big part of their living by telling people what they want to hear. However once the platitudes are over and things havecto be delivered, thats when so many of these charletons are uncovered. When the deleveries fall short the consultant will move into manage expectations mode, and the customers will find they have been drenched in snake oil.

Furthermore Phillips background is in retails, not a breeding ground known for producing intellectual giants

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eborr wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

You do need to put some perspective on this. Remember Phillips background, he is a consultant, and consultants make a big part of their living by telling people what they want to hear. However once the platitudes are over and things havecto be delivered, thats when so many of these charletons are uncovered. When the deleveries fall short the consultant will move into manage expectations mode, and the customers will find they have been drenched in snake oil.

Furthermore Phillips background is in retails, not a breeding ground known for producing intellectual giants

Ah ...Rugby needs intellectual giants, a bit of common sense would be a good start ;)

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next