It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Our Scrum 
Youth Player

Post Our Scrum
Now having only played once in the front row (enforced move from no7 to no 2 against Abercynon!) I can hardly claim to speak with authority about scrummaging . But there are doubtless those on here who are coaches or know their stuff. When they showed the aerial shots do we look decidely 'gappy' especially between second rows and not the tight eight I would expect could be coached. Also Moriarty was oftne not lending weight and had his head up? And I am not just talking about the infamous last 20 mins.

Or am I wrong and we have have a not great set of props especially Tom Francis? samson lee is also decidedly off pace.

Thoughts?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

Post Re: Our Scrum
BridgendNo7 wrote:
Now having only played once in the front row (enforced move from no7 to no 2 against Abercynon!) I can hardly claim to speak with authority about scrummaging . But there are doubtless those on here who are coaches or know their stuff. When they showed the aerial shots do we look decidely 'gappy' especially between second rows and not the tight eight I would expect could be coached. Also Moriarty was oftne not lending weight and had his head up? And I am not just talking about the infamous last 20 mins.

Or am I wrong and we have have a not great set of props especially Tom Francis? samson lee is also decidedly off pace.

Thoughts?

Moriarty was probably keeping an eye on picamoles when it was a french scrum, and trying to pick the ball up instantly when the welsh scrum was flying backwards.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

The scrum refereeing is very inconsistent, the French loose head was consistently standing at an angle and boring in, its reall easy to spot in the over head shots. The welsh scrum was consistently under pressure as a consequence. The timing did not seem to be that great either. I tjought Rob Evans did particularly well against slimani, who is very good at dropping the scrum as soon as a bit of a shove comes on, wnd the refs always give it.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Can't figure out what I think about Francis - his oppo didn't scrummage straight at all and was sideways at one scrum yet he got pinged all day....I think because France appeared to have a shove on.
TF is certainly targeted but he doesn't look to be an awful scrummager and doesn't go backwards all the time so I live in hope that he can improve his overall strength n technique....or that we can develop more props overall.
Very impressed with Rob Evans - another very good effort yesterday, reminds me of gethin...

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

McBryde is shite. simple as that. we haven't progressed under him. He should be sacked along with Howley.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:36 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Think Evans and Francis both had moments when they struggled. Lee did well when he came on and often scummages well against the French

Domestically lee, Evans, Francis, and smith are all pretty good. I just think they struggle to combine solid scrummaging with the increased effort required in open field at international level

We are definitely going through some pain upfront but hopefully they can come through the other side. Time will tell

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I thought our front row did OK but I agree with the comments already made the French loose head was boring in, the French TH was binding on our loose heads arm both illegal yet not picked up, or overlooked, I also agree the comments on Evans a very good LH will get better and will be a bigger force than he is now, Francis needs to lose a little weight, but I have no real concerns about our FR.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 am

Rollo wrote:
Can't figure out what I think about Francis - his oppo didn't scrummage straight at all and was sideways at one scrum yet he got pinged all day....I think because France appeared to have a shove on.
TF is certainly targeted but he doesn't look to be an awful scrummager and doesn't go backwards all the time so I live in hope that he can improve his overall strength n technique....or that we can develop more props overall.
Very impressed with Rob Evans - another very good effort yesterday, reminds me of gethin...

The Ref should be asked to explain why he penalized the player. I bet few if any could do it ... they go by a "gut feeling".

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 am
Profile E-mail

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
I thought our front row did OK but I agree with the comments already made the French loose head was boring in, the French TH was binding on our loose heads arm both illegal yet not picked up, or overlooked, I also agree the comments on Evans a very good LH will get better and will be a bigger force than he is now, Francis needs to lose a little weight, but I have no real concerns about our FR.

Do you mean literally or metaphorically? :D

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I thought it was illegal to bind on arms?

Ah well ....

Oh, and kneeling down on the turf - plus standing up too.

:dontknow:

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am
World XV Player

Evans has really impressed me this championship and I'd go as far as saying he's been our most consistent performer this year

Not a fan of Francis tbh, although the last couple of games I think he's improved massively. Lee has regressed for what ever reason (injuries, fitness?).

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am
Profile E-mail