It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:56 pm

What was the secret to Wales' relative success in 2008-13? 
World XV Player

Post Re: What was the secret to Wales' relative success in 2008-13?
what do you mean by success? Wales finished 4th in 2009, 2010 & 2011. so in 50 % of our successful years we only finished above italy & scotland. doesn't seem that impressive when you put it like that.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
what do you mean by success? Wales finished 4th in 2009, 2010 & 2011. so in 50 % of our successful years we only finished above italy & scotland. doesn't seem that impressive when you put it like that.

You keep 'em honest Mr M :thumbup: :D

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 am
World XV Player

Wales have not been able to overcome the maddening inconsistency which has dogged them even in the last decade of frequent, but often stuttering success. The reasons for this remain a matter for debate; primarily though, it is down to a lack of depth and a particular psychology. The two are related I think.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:

I believe that there was frustration in those years but it was countered to some extent by a general sign of decent performances and a trajectory.

The AI Performances last year and the general inability to attack are, to me, more concerning.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Just a bit of a "golden generation" that is now retiring / getting older. Better strength in depth all round.

Just like England now, in 2012/2013 (I think) we could have fielded 5 international class 2nd rows.... AWJ, Charteris, Davies, Evans and Ryan Jones.... only 3 of these are still playing and all three are in decline.

Mike Phillips was far and away the best Scrum Half in the NH and much better than Webb now IMO.

Huge change, that we cannot forget, is the rule change in the Scrum.... almost overnight one of our most influencial players became obsolete and we haven't come close to filling that void.

Probably the only position in which I would say the team post 2013 is better in is No 10. Although Priestland did hit an absolute purple patch in the RWC.

And yes, the other teams - England, Scotland and France especially are getting better and we have got predictable.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:34 pm
World XV Player

stujones1 wrote:
Just a bit of a "golden generation" that is now retiring / getting older. Better strength in depth all round.

Just like England now, in 2012/2013 (I think) we could have fielded 5 international class 2nd rows.... AWJ, Charteris, Davies, Evans and Ryan Jones.... only 3 of these are still playing and all three are in decline.

Mike Phillips was far and away the best Scrum Half in the NH and much better than Webb now IMO.

Huge change, that we cannot forget, is the rule change in the Scrum.... almost overnight one of our most influencial players became obsolete and we haven't come close to filling that void.

Probably the only position in which I would say the team post 2013 is better in is No 10. Although Priestland did hit an absolute purple patch in the RWC.

And yes, the other teams - England, Scotland and France especially are getting better and we have got predictable.

Some good points although I would maintain priestland was a good player unable to deal with the pressure and scrutiny of being Wales 10. Wales have played some of their best rugby with him at outside half... and some of their worst!

The tight five forwards are quite young and we have seen a fair degree of turn over in this area. At the moment this is where wales are really struggling, at scrum time, no driving lineout game, ball carrying, although the tackling and clearing out has improved. Hopefully players like lee, Evans, Francis, smith and ball can come through the other side

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
stujones1 wrote:

Some good points although I would maintain priestland was a good player unable to deal with the pressure and scrutiny of being Wales 10. Wales have played some of their best rugby with him at outside half... and some of their worst!

The tight five forwards are quite young and we have seen a fair degree of turn over in this area. At the moment this is where wales are really struggling, at scrum time, no driving lineout game, ball carrying, although the tackling and clearing out has improved. Hopefully players like lee, Evans, Francis, smith and ball can come through the other side

I thought that wing and centre were by some distance Wales' weakest points atm, not the front five.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:26 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Well it would be down to the hard work by Roger and Pickers. Been all downhill since they left :pottytrain1:

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

What I like about you Naj is your skill at asking well questions.

Do you still use a lens on ants for fun?

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail