It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Dragons as a development side? 
Primary Schools Player

Post Dragons as a development side?
I know this won't go down well with most dragons fans, but having been thinking about this for a while.

My thoughts are that creating a centre for youth development would give young players and opportunity to perform week after week against top opposition. For example we don't really have young second rows/props coming through, with jake ball, alun wyn jones and luke charteris being our main players there, which is an average age of 30.

It would also give U20 players and instant opportunity to carry on from where they left off with Wales.

Even Gavin Henson is a good signing for them is that really going to make any difference to their fortunes?

Logistically it could work that current regions continue their recruitment policy, with those regions then getting and opportunity to re-sign them at the age of 21, with new youth players then coming in to replace them.

Of course I doubt this would ever happen, but this would aid the national team so much and would produce player after player season after season.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons as a development side?
Maybe... could give opportunities to young players to play

Would help if ospreys, scarlets and the blues played in top tier European competition for more than 6 matches as well

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I've always been puzzled how by putting a bunch of inexperienced players who can not break into regional team together, will create better players. The incentive it would appear is to scrabble to get yourself out of a very negative situation.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If by development side you mean managed by WRU with choice of players and coaches from any WRU asset, yes.
If you mean fill it with u21 players and chosen potential, maybe.
If you mean stick anyone who can not gat a job at another region or is too old to be a potential, or consistently broken, no.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

I don't see how you would persuade the other regions to keep their academy sides going if all the best products are then sent somewhere else.

There would at least have to be a clear pathway back to the region of origin at the end of a contract. A right of first refusal on the player, or something like that.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
I don't see how you would persuade the other regions to keep their academy sides going if all the best products are then sent somewhere else.

There would at least have to be a clear pathway back to the region of origin at the end of a contract. A right of first refusal on the player, or something like that.

End of tenure plus 2 years then back to region for X years, Or financial remuneration from WRU?
Also remember they would not take ALL the product, presumably only those the regions wish to "rent out" or improve at senior level

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
I've always been puzzled how by putting a bunch of inexperienced players who can not break into regional team together, will create better players. The incentive it would appear is to scrabble to get yourself out of a very negative situation.

Agree'd, also, who else in the world runs a development side in a pro league? Please don't say Connacht as they were not a development side, if you think they were take a look at the players who played there and also take a look at the other 3 academy sides.

A fitfor purpose semi pro set up or A sides sould be the development tool.

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm
World XV Player

Some good points and maybe a development region isn't what's needed. How about a proper functioning region with players of regional standard with a few internationals... one can but dream

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Blindside wrote:

Agree'd, also, who else in the world runs a development side in a pro league? Please don't say Connacht as they were not a development side, if you think they were take a look at the players who played there and also take a look at the other 3 academy sides.

A fitfor purpose semi pro set up
or A sides sould be the development tool.

An obvious remedy, yet politically unpalatable one........ problem is, it wouldnt suit the blazers, the sons of bitches are dug in like Alabama ticks !

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The idea of a development side in theory is great. However, in practise, I think it would be difficult. They would probably get a hammering every week, more than now, as invariably the team is inexperienced.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World Superstar

They need to stop dicking about with the domestic league structure. They have all but wiped out meaningful competition and playing career progression with their obsession at moving goal posts. Club rugby is a joke these days.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Blindside wrote:

A fitfor purpose semi pro set up
or A sides sould be the development tool.

An obvious remedy, yet politically unpalatable one........ problem is, it wouldnt suit the blazers, the sons of bitches are dug in like Alabama ticks !

The antidote will be available in a couple of months on the NHS ;)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm
World XV Player

AndrewBartley- Newbridge wrote:
They need to stop dicking about with the domestic league structure. They have all but wiped out meaningful competition and playing career progression with their obsession at moving goal posts. Club rugby is a joke these days.

Well good grief mun, Barters, where you been lad!! I put up a special avatar especially with you in mind and the only taker so far, has been our resident Gog pervo!! (Although, to be fair to Spinny, his taste in women does tend to border towards the upper class wedge of slut, bless him!!)

Whatever you do, don't go saying a single word about your private yacht (with the all-female topless crew) to Trampie! It's taken us nigh-on 3 years to get him cooled-down on that little purchase of yours!!

Welcome back mate, genuinely nice to 'see' you again!! You can tell us all in lengthy, dirty, sexually-filthy PM's whenever you have a day off!! :D :D

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 pm
World Superstar

Cheers mate :-) I browse! But been slack admittedly!!

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
thread ruining clique

It's been over a year for me, butt. Even a *tank* is a special occasion these days.
Once I can get the money together, I'm buying me one of them there Thai brides.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:47 pm