It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Lions 1XV 
Author Message
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 60567
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Lions 1XV
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


Stander is not quick enough on his feet for the speed at which the AB's play, and was shown up on Friday night.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:39 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Posts: 1653
Location: Stockholm
Post Re: Lions 1XV
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


I reckon the game in Dublin will have a big influence on the front row. If the Irish go well in the scrum I would take their props.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3393
Post Re: Lions 1XV
Langland Exile wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


Stander is not quick enough on his feet for the speed at which the AB's play, and was shown up on Friday night.


I take your point and he wasn't great against Wales. But he does a lot of carrying around the ruck which gatland likes so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3393
Post Re: Lions 1XV
Stockholm Blue wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


I reckon the game in Dublin will have a big influence on the front row. If the Irish go well in the scrum I would take their props.


Furlong and McGrath are undoubtedly talented but cole has been around the block. He might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's unlikely to fall to pieces on his watch


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 721
Location: Swansea
Post Re: Lions 1XV
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


I reckon the game in Dublin will have a big influence on the front row. If the Irish go well in the scrum I would take their props.


Furlong and McGrath are undoubtedly talented but cole has been around the block. He might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's unlikely to fall to pieces on his watch


No I would not even take Cole on tour.

The Kiwi sides use the scrum as a means of restarting the game and their props
and hookers are expected to make major contributions around the park.Cole will
give little more than a steady scrum.I would take Furlong,Sinckler & WP Nel if fit.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Lions 1XV
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
eog wrote:
Hope all you lot like cheering on the England team in Aotearoa cause that's what you'll be doing. ;)


Well TBF it was mostly Wales in Oz :twisted:


Well if you're going to be fair then when exactly was it mostly Scotland or Ireland? I'll save you the effort of looking it up the answer is in both cases is never.
The point is off course is that when New Zealand or South Africa Australia or France play anyone it is never ever "mostly" it is always all. Same goes for every other rugby playing nation.


Well yeah, not sure why your knickers are so knotted, cos guess what The Lions are a representative team, otherwise its a normal test between 2 countries :!:


"representative" of what? Being representative of their nation is what every international team does. The Lion's are the same type of team as the Barbarians though the Barbarians select from a bigger pool of players and they've morphed into a money driven rugby circus that Kerry Packer would have been proud of.
Unless of course you buy into the idea that the Lions are still representative of the mother country of the empire but still includes players from a bit that fought a war to become independent of mother.

Your pro Lions argument has so far been about fairness and representation neither of which hold water. I'm pretty sure any argument you offer can be sunk until we get to - I like the Lions because I do, and nothing you say can change that. - end game


You seem hell bent on an argument, your choice, my preference is NO Welsh representation (cos thats what they do you pedant), Wales has gone above and beyond as far as the Lions are concerned and we always have a shite season the year after, so take this however you wish to take it, Lions without Wales please! Ta


Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 88191
Post Re: Lions 1XV
No lions at all would suit me

_________________
Be a Snowflake. Winter is coming.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 9512
Post Re: Lions 1XV
If you picked all of the current England team to play the first test would they win? I would say they have a great chance of beating the kiwis, however a couple of changes would make them formidable - Hartley could be sacrificed for George, Best or Owens. Perhaps the props as well but they are pretty solid. Based on form I would put in Turps and Sam and that Hamish Watson and Stander are on fire. The selection is a nitemare to be honest and I think this is going to be the strongest squad I've seen going on a Lions tour. 2005 was strong but this is even better as all the nations can contribute. I can see some very disappointed players not going who are on top of their game. One example would be Mike Brown - would you take Liam Williams who can play wing as well? But Brown has been very good making yards.

Some players may be left out because they can only play one position in the backs which could be a bonus for those players like Hogg and Sanjay who can play wing and FB. Farrell is one of those players who can play centre and ten - he is a defo for me. Itoje has also proved he can play in two positions so would be a very strong contender where as someone like AWJ may be sacrificed for these reasons. In the past we have seen players taken because of their ability to play in more than one position except for props unless they can play both sides - Elliot Daley would be in a strong position because he plays wing and centre, very well!!

_________________
We dive for pearls in the ocean and ignore the jewels within - me


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:13 pm
Profile
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1103
Post Re: Lions 1XV
Stockholm Blue wrote:
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
eog wrote:
Hope all you lot like cheering on the England team in Aotearoa cause that's what you'll be doing. ;)


Well TBF it was mostly Wales in Oz :twisted:


Well if you're going to be fair then when exactly was it mostly Scotland or Ireland? I'll save you the effort of looking it up the answer is in both cases is never.
The point is off course is that when New Zealand or South Africa Australia or France play anyone it is never ever "mostly" it is always all. Same goes for every other rugby playing nation.


The 1974 Lions had loads ... McGeechan, Milliken, Slattery, McBride, Gordon Brown, McLauchlin were all in the Test team, and there were plenty more in the squad.


Yes they were all in the test team but they're not all from the same country so whatever definition of "mostly" you've applied to two fifths of the team gets pretty much halved!


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1103
Post Re: Lions 1XV
Keith L wrote:
You seem hell bent on an argument, your choice, my preference is NO Welsh representation (cos thats what they do you pedant), Wales has gone above and beyond as far as the Lions are concerned and we always have a shite season the year after, so take this however you wish to take it, Lions without Wales please! Ta


You either choose to back the Lions tour or you choose not to back the Lions tours.
I do the latter and so have legitimate cause to complain about the harm they do to Welsh rugby (and Irish Scottish and even English rugby also).
You do the former and complain. Either embrace the sh!t these tours bring along with the sparkle they put in your rugby life or join in with those like me who want to see them end.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 9512
Post Re: Lions 1XV
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
You seem hell bent on an argument, your choice, my preference is NO Welsh representation (cos thats what they do you pedant), Wales has gone above and beyond as far as the Lions are concerned and we always have a shite season the year after, so take this however you wish to take it, Lions without Wales please! Ta


You either choose to back the Lions tour or you choose not to back the Lions tours.
I do the latter and so have legitimate cause to complain about the harm they do to Welsh rugby (and Irish Scottish and even English rugby also).
You do the former and complain. Either embrace the sh!t these tours bring along with the sparkle they put in your rugby life or join in with those like me who want to see them end.

In the past, not just welsh players, these guys either returned to form or went off into the sunset due to injury or just happy to have achieved the pinnacle of going on a Lions tour. From a welsh perspective some of our players have done the above and have spent 18 months off with injuries after a Lions tour. If I were an English supporter I would be very concerned that these guys are going to be beasted on a hell of a schedule which is physically and psychologically draining. I will always refer to what Scott Gibbs said after the 97 tour, he said the biggest challenge for him was having to motivate himself to playing down at St. Helens in front of 8k after playing in one of the biggest sporting event in front of tens of thousands on the High Veldt. He regained his form but look at the other players that just fall away or struggle to reach the highs of a Lions tour again. There arent many who go on one tour and how many do two or three.

If they take lots of English guys it may impact on their world cup preparation but due to their squad size it could have very little impact, but for us it would and maybe Ireland,but I think the bulk of the squad is going to be english which may irk Eddie Jones.

_________________
We dive for pearls in the ocean and ignore the jewels within - me


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 9699
Post Re: Lions 1XV
awaywardlad wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer


I reckon the game in Dublin will have a big influence on the front row. If the Irish go well in the scrum I would take their props.


Furlong and McGrath are undoubtedly talented but cole has been around the block. He might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's unlikely to fall to pieces on his watch


No I would not even take Cole on tour.

The Kiwi sides use the scrum as a means of restarting the game and their props
and hookers are expected to make major contributions around the park.Cole will
give little more than a steady scrum.I would take Furlong,Sinckler & WP Nel if fit.

Hadn't thought of that regarding the scrum and how NZ use it, very good thinking

Furlong for me (although he didn't have the best game against us on Friday) offers the most around the pitch I'd say? Although I think I'd have Cole in the squad because of his experience. There will likely be a load of new faces on this tour and I think picking a few experienced heads who've been on a Lions tour before will be invaluable?


Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Lions 1XV
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
You seem hell bent on an argument, your choice, my preference is NO Welsh representation (cos thats what they do you pedant), Wales has gone above and beyond as far as the Lions are concerned and we always have a shite season the year after, so take this however you wish to take it, Lions without Wales please! Ta


You either choose to back the Lions tour or you choose not to back the Lions tours.
I do the latter and so have legitimate cause to complain about the harm they do to Welsh rugby (and Irish Scottish and even English rugby also).
You do the former and complain. Either embrace the sh!t these tours bring along with the sparkle they put in your rugby life or join in with those like me who want to see them end.


How does my no Welsh representaion turn into backing the Lions??. You are one *fupped* up dude :bs:


Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Posts: 1653
Location: Stockholm
Post Re: Lions 1XV
eog wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
eog wrote:
Hope all you lot like cheering on the England team in Aotearoa cause that's what you'll be doing. ;)


Well TBF it was mostly Wales in Oz :twisted:


Well if you're going to be fair then when exactly was it mostly Scotland or Ireland? I'll save you the effort of looking it up the answer is in both cases is never.
The point is off course is that when New Zealand or South Africa Australia or France play anyone it is never ever "mostly" it is always all. Same goes for every other rugby playing nation.


The 1974 Lions had loads ... McGeechan, Milliken, Slattery, McBride, Gordon Brown, McLauchlin were all in the Test team, and there were plenty more in the squad.


Yes they were all in the test team but they're not all from the same country so whatever definition of "mostly" you've applied to two fifths of the team gets pretty much halved!


Not sure what point you are trying to make to be honest, but for what it is worth the test team had 6 Welsh, 2 English, 4 Scottish and 3 Irish players in it, so you can't really say one country was dominant.

Nowadays it is even less likely that one country will totally dominate because the bench is much more important, and the physical challenge is so great that you are going to have injuries. Pretty much the whole squad is likely to be involved in a test match at some point.

Wales are said to have "dominated" the 2013 team, but when you look at the Test matches a lot of other players saw plenty of game time in the series. Gatland used the squad and managed it very well. It will be the same next time, he is not going to pick 30 Englishmen, and with the mental schedule they have agreed to he will be using everybody.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:20 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1103
Post Re: Lions 1XV
Keith L wrote:
eog wrote:
Keith L wrote:
You seem hell bent on an argument, your choice, my preference is NO Welsh representation (cos thats what they do you pedant), Wales has gone above and beyond as far as the Lions are concerned and we always have a shite season the year after, so take this however you wish to take it, Lions without Wales please! Ta


You either choose to back the Lions tour or you choose not to back the Lions tours.
I do the latter and so have legitimate cause to complain about the harm they do to Welsh rugby (and Irish Scottish and even English rugby also).
You do the former and complain. Either embrace the sh!t these tours bring along with the sparkle they put in your rugby life or join in with those like me who want to see them end.


How does my no Welsh representaion turn into backing the Lions??. You are one *fupped* up dude :bs:

You said "Lions without Wales please! Ta"
So in what way are you not backing them?
If the Lions exclude the option of selected from Welsh players then they are not the Lions but a combined (representative :roll: ) team from England Scotland and Ireland.


Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: