It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Lions 1XV 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions 1XV
Langland Exile wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Vunipola, Owens, cole, itoje, launchbury, stander, warburton, vunipola

Webb, sexton, north, Farrell, Joseph, daily, Hogg

That's 8 English men... but warburton captain for me. Now his performances are back up I think it's a bit of a no brainer

Stander is not quick enough on his feet for the speed at which the AB's play, and was shown up on Friday night.

Didn't he play well against the ABs recently?

I'm not sure ?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:00 pm
International Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:

Not sure what point you are trying to make to be honest, but for what it is worth the test team had 6 Welsh, 2 English, 4 Scottish and 3 Irish players in it, so you can't really say one country was dominant.
The point is any other team playing a test game against the Springboks would have 15 players from the same country in it. On the figures you've given 9 Welsh 13 English 11 Scottish and 12 Irish players missed out on the opportunity, challenge, experience and rugby development they would have from gained playing a test match against the Boks.

Nowadays it is even less likely that one country will totally dominate because the bench is much more important, Every international game has both countries that are playing totally dominating their selections. and the physical challenge is so great that you are going to have injuries. Pretty much the whole squad is likely to be involved in a test match at some point. And in every other test match on earth the two squads involved comprise solely of players from their respective countries

Wales are said to have "dominated" the 2013 team, but when you look at the Test matches a lot of other players saw plenty of game time in the series. Gatland used the squad and managed it very well. It will be the same next time, he is not going to pick 30 Englishmen, and with the mental schedule they have agreed to he will be using everybody.

I want the Lions tours scrapped and the fact that it's possible for few, one or even no player from one of the countries involved to appear in a test side and how little benefit for rugby that country or its players then get as a result is one of many reasons for scapping them.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

McGrath
George
Furlong
Launchbury
Itoje
Vunipola
Warburton
Falatau
Murray
sexton
North
Fardel
Joseph
Nowell
Watson

Owens
Rob Evans
W P Nel
Johnny Grey
Cj Slander
Youngs
Liam Williams
Daily

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail

eog wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Not sure what point you are trying to make to be honest, but for what it is worth the test team had 6 Welsh, 2 English, 4 Scottish and 3 Irish players in it, so you can't really say one country was dominant.
The point is any other team playing a test game against the Springboks would have 15 players from the same country in it. On the figures you've given 9 Welsh 13 English 11 Scottish and 12 Irish players missed out on the opportunity, challenge, experience and rugby development they would have from gained playing a test match against the Boks.

Nowadays it is even less likely that one country will totally dominate because the bench is much more important, Every international game has both countries that are playing totally dominating their selections. and the physical challenge is so great that you are going to have injuries. Pretty much the whole squad is likely to be involved in a test match at some point. And in every other test match on earth the two squads involved comprise solely of players from their respective countries

Wales are said to have "dominated" the 2013 team, but when you look at the Test matches a lot of other players saw plenty of game time in the series. Gatland used the squad and managed it very well. It will be the same next time, he is not going to pick 30 Englishmen, and with the mental schedule they have agreed to he will be using everybody.

I want the Lions tours scrapped and the fact that it's possible for few, one or even no player from one of the countries involved to appear in a test side and how little benefit for rugby that country or its players then get as a result is one of many reasons for scapping them.

OK, get it now. My apologies, I wasn't really paying attention.

I am agnostic personally. I went to Oz in 2013 and it was fun following them, I was in Brisbane and Sydney. I will watch it for sure, but I can't say I would massively miss it if they stopped.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Leaving aside any politics, how many players from each country and, especially, which ones are likely to fit into the Gatland concept?

Because a player happens to have done well or otherwise in the 6N within his own country's system does not mean he will fit into the Lions system.

Just askin' like.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
If you picked all of the current England team to play the first test would they win? I would say they have a great chance of beating the kiwis, however a couple of changes would make them formidable - Hartley could be sacrificed for George, Best or Owens. Perhaps the props as well but they are pretty solid. Based on form I would put in Turps and Sam and that Hamish Watson and Stander are on fire. The selection is a nitemare to be honest and I think this is going to be the strongest squad I've seen going on a Lions tour. 2005 was strong but this is even better as all the nations can contribute. I can see some very disappointed players not going who are on top of their game. One example would be Mike Brown - would you take Liam Williams who can play wing as well? But Brown has been very good making yards.

Some players may be left out because they can only play one position in the backs which could be a bonus for those players like Hogg and Sanjay who can play wing and FB. Farrell is one of those players who can play centre and ten - he is a defo for me. Itoje has also proved he can play in two positions so would be a very strong contender where as someone like AWJ may be sacrificed for these reasons. In the past we have seen players taken because of their ability to play in more than one position except for props unless they can play both sides - Elliot Daley would be in a strong position because he plays wing and centre, very well!!

I read that as 'George Best'!

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

well, perhaps now we realise England are not the dominant force some think, not taking anything away from the Irish.
But France were close, we should have beaten them, even Italy had them worried for nearly 60min
So my lions squad

1 J Mcgrath, M Vunipola, Rob Evans,

2 Englands reserve hooker, Ken Owens,

3 Furlong (sp) Cole,

4 AWJ, Launchbury, Grey, Donnacha Ryan

5 Grey, laws, Ball

6 Stander, Moriarty,

7 Warburton, O,brian, scots 7,

8 Faletau, Vunipola,

9 Murry, Youngs, because there's no one else Webb, :D

10 Sexton, Ford,

11 Eliot Daly, 1/2p

12, Owen Farrell, R Henshaw,

13 J Joseph, G Ringrose,

14 G North, A Watson.

i5 S Hogg, J Payne, L Williams.

Some others may have held their hands up too but this is mine

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:26 am

Random thoughts ...

I don't think Ford will go ... Sexton, Biggar and Farrell.

O'Mahony looked very much like what Gatland likes in a 6, and would go very well in New Zealand when the heat comes on.

I think Gary Ringrose booked his seat on the plane and put a big hand up for a Test start, and ended Jonathan Davies hopes for selection.

I wouldn't take Cole or Marler. Cheat in the scrum and offer too little in the loose.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Agree ford might not go and he might just take sexton and Farrell. Depends on whether he picks Farrell at centre, if he does then he will need a third OH so may go biggar

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Stockholm Blue wrote:
Random thoughts ...

O'Mahony looked very much like what Gatland likes in a 6, and would go very well in New Zealand when the heat comes on.

I think Gary Ringrose booked his seat on the plane and put a big hand up for a Test start, and ended Jonathan Davies hopes for selection.

I wouldn't take Cole or Marler. Cheat in the scrum and offer too little in the loose.

Biggar didn't even make the 2013 tour, so why this one?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail

najbritcol wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
Random thoughts ...

In New Zealand they are going to be under pressure for every minute of every game, and Biggar showed he could handle it when the heat is on in the World Cup.

Ford has shown he can shred an opposition when his team is completely on top. That won't be true in any game on the tour.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Stockholm Blue wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
Random thoughts ...

In New Zealand they are going to be under pressure for every minute of every game, and Biggar showed he could handle it when the heat is on in the World Cup.

Ford has shown he can shred an opposition when his team is completely on top. That won't be true in any game on the tour.

I think is unfairly getting flak here. People are forgetting he has been working off passes form Youngs, who has a habit of passing slowly and above his head. He is also working with forwards who are completely inept at protecting our own ball in the breakdown so all ball is slow. I bet if you plopped Biggar in instead of Ford, he would do as badly or even worse. I'd like to see Dan Robson firing quick passes to Ford and at least 1 forward who can ensure we get quick ball, how we miss Robshaws work... It's times like this that you begin to appreciate the value of all the unseen dog work he did.

One area Ford does deserve criticism is his defence, a guy his size should not keep going high and yet he does it every time.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Williams, Watson, Josephs, Farrell, North, Sexton, Webb;
Marler, Owens, Furlong, Launchbury, Itoje, Stander, Tipuric, Vunipola.

This is one of many combos possible from my projected squad. All that matters is loads and loads of hard hitting forwards to bully the Kiwis

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail

rtlloyd98 wrote:
All that matters is loads and loads of hard hitting forwards to bully the Kiwis

South Africa haven't been able to defeat the Kiwis doing that over the last few years, so why should the Lions? To beat the Kiwis, you have to have a fast running game.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Cuthbert and Priestland need to be selected... Need someone to blame if it all goes up in flames.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next