It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Latest World Rankings 
Author Message
Online
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 18529
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
hen gefnwr wrote:
I don't understand how Scotland get a thrashing but lose no points.

Welcome aboard.
Scotland lost to a side ranked considerably higher than them, so
lost few points. Had they lost to someone ranked below them they'd have lost a lot.
Works other way around too; we'd get loads if we beat NZ but very few if we beat Tonga.

_________________
Truck driver divorce. It's very sad.
Bust your ass to deliver some string beans to Utah.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:38 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Pearcey3 wrote:
hen gefnwr wrote:
I don't underdtsnd how Scotland get a thrashing but lose no points.


Its because England have at least eight more ranking points than them so because of that they don't lose any points. . It doesn't make much difference though. If we beat France we will move above them even if they beat Italy. It gets interesting if Ireland lose to England as we might just squeak ahead of them too and into a top seeding....perfect timing for the World Cup draw in May.


So Are you advocating supporting England on Saturday :twisted: :D


Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 6702
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Keith L wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
hen gefnwr wrote:
I don't underdtsnd how Scotland get a thrashing but lose no points.


Its because England have at least eight more ranking points than them so because of that they don't lose any points. . It doesn't make much difference though. If we beat France we will move above them even if they beat Italy. It gets interesting if Ireland lose to England as we might just squeak ahead of them too and into a top seeding....perfect timing for the World Cup draw in May.


So Are you advocating supporting England on Saturday :twisted: :D

Some hope of that,

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5845
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
jimcardiff wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:
hen gefnwr wrote:
I don't underdtsnd how Scotland get a thrashing but lose no points.


Its because England have at least eight more ranking points than them so because of that they don't lose any points. . It doesn't make much difference though. If we beat France we will move above them even if they beat Italy. It gets interesting if Ireland lose to England as we might just squeak ahead of them too and into a top seeding....perfect timing for the World Cup draw in May.


So Are you advocating supporting England on Saturday :twisted: :D

Some hope of that,



Yes :(


Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7189
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Would a rank of 4th or 5th make that much difference? Basically if we get to 4th, it will likely be a case of knocking Ireland down and then there is a good chance we will face them as a tier two team rather than a tier one team.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87973
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Being top 8 is all that matters, there's will still be a top 8 side in the group and few banana skins.

_________________
Vote Covfefe

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening


Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile
Online
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 1961
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Yes, being number four is significantly better than being number five, because that means avoiding New Zealand, England and Australia in the same pool.


Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59271
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
najbritcol wrote:
Yes, being number four is significantly better than being number five, because that means avoiding New Zealand, England and Australia in the same pool.


Supporting England against Ireland therefore....lesser of 2 evils..

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Posts: 28228
Location: Pontllanfraith
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
It looks like any Wales win and any Ireland defeat send us into 4th

_________________
Dear England, you can make as many sheep jokes as you want, you voted for a pig *fupper*!


Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 am
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 6702
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Let's go for it all out then , play 2 halves with different plans in each half ,oh and call the number of pick and goes to the backs at every breakdown in our own half.at the start just so everybody know what sheet to sing from.

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 294
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Stockholm Blue wrote:
Figaro wrote:
With the rankings as they are, I think the best possible group we could get would be something like

Ireland
Wales
Georgia
Romania*
Russia*/Uruguay*

Absolute worst case scenario would be

New Zealand
Wales
Argentina
Italy
USA*

(*Haven't yet officially qualified)

I don't think that's too bad; Argentina are definitely beatable. If we beat France on the weekend there's a reasonable chance they'd drop to 9th and we'd play them instead of Argentina in the "worst case scenario/group of death" group.


A higher ranking probably helps, but in the end it is luck of the draw.

Say we fell to 9th, but got drawn in a group with Ireland and Scotland ... I would take that over being ranked 6th and being in a group with New Zealand and Argentina all day long.


Yes it is "luck of the draw", but the higher your ranking (at least moving up a 4-side bracket) the better your odds are.

Wales 4th, Ireland 5th, Argentina 9th

Worst group opponents would be Ireland & Argentina (Assuming South Africa are still shit in 2019).
Best case scenario could be something like Scotland & Samoa, which would be by far the easiest group we've ever faced.

Ireland 4th, Wales 5th, Argentina 9th

Worst group opponents would be New Zealand & Argentina.
Absolute best case would be having Ireland in our group.

Ireland 4th, Argentina 8th, Wales 9th

Worst group would be New Zealand and Argentina again, even the best case would still involve having Ireland and someone like Scotland in our group; most likely would be a group of death which could have a top 4 team and someone like France or South Africa (awful if they improve by 2019).

There's also the question of who you face in the QFs. Top your group and you're much more likely to face an easier side like Argentina, France or Scotland in the QFs; come second and you still qualify but have to face the likes of New Zealand or Australia. I'd probably take a decent chance at winning a "group of death" with e.g. Ireland and France over an easy second place in a group with New Zealand (even if the latter has the advantage of meaning you won't have to face them again till the final).

Getting up to 4th would be a massive coup for Wales.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:07 pm
Posts: 554
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
As I've said before on a different thread, the rankings don't matter arse because, as this 6 nations has shown, everyone in the top 10 (with the exception of NZ) can beat each other.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 am
Posts: 2837
Location: Barry
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Who cares where you are placed. To be the best, you have to beat the best. Yes an easy run in to the final and a sneaky win would be nice, but taking out some "big guns" along the way will be sweeter.

Now, just because we beat Ireland on Friday, I'm not saying we now have a great chance of winning the WC or anything. Just that I don't care what group we end up in. Come World cup time, you either have a decent squad (and chance) or not!!

_________________
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein


Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:01 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 5845
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
Figaro wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
Figaro wrote:
With the rankings as they are, I think the best possible group we could get would be something like

Ireland
Wales
Georgia
Romania*
Russia*/Uruguay*

Absolute worst case scenario would be

New Zealand
Wales
Argentina
Italy
USA*

(*Haven't yet officially qualified)

I don't think that's too bad; Argentina are definitely beatable. If we beat France on the weekend there's a reasonable chance they'd drop to 9th and we'd play them instead of Argentina in the "worst case scenario/group of death" group.


A higher ranking probably helps, but in the end it is luck of the draw.

Say we fell to 9th, but got drawn in a group with Ireland and Scotland ... I would take that over being ranked 6th and being in a group with New Zealand and Argentina all day long.


Yes it is "luck of the draw", but the higher your ranking (at least moving up a 4-side bracket) the better your odds are.

Wales 4th, Ireland 5th, Argentina 9th

Worst group opponents would be Ireland & Argentina (Assuming South Africa are still shit in 2019).
Best case scenario could be something like Scotland & Samoa, which would be by far the easiest group we've ever faced.

Ireland 4th, Wales 5th, Argentina 9th

Worst group opponents would be New Zealand & Argentina.
Absolute best case would be having Ireland in our group.

Ireland 4th, Argentina 8th, Wales 9th

Worst group would be New Zealand and Argentina again, even the best case would still involve having Ireland and someone like Scotland in our group; most likely would be a group of death which could have a top 4 team and someone like France or South Africa (awful if they improve by 2019).

There's also the question of who you face in the QFs. Top your group and you're much more likely to face an easier side like Argentina, France or Scotland in the QFs; come second and you still qualify but have to face the likes of New Zealand or Australia. I'd probably take a decent chance at winning a "group of death" with e.g. Ireland and France over an easy second place in a group with New Zealand (even if the latter has the advantage of meaning you won't have to face them again till the final).

Getting up to 4th would be a massive coup for Wales.


Spot on. Being a top seed does not guarantee a more favourable draw but it greatly increases the prospects of a kinder outcome. I am baffled thst some posters are ambivalent towards this. As you say it also increases our chances of winning the group and playing a second placed team from another group in the quarter finals.This will not be lost on the Welsh management.


Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59271
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Latest World Rankings
ironrobson21 wrote:
As I've said before on a different thread, the rankings don't matter arse because, as this 6 nations has shown, everyone in the top 10 (with the exception of NZ) can beat each other.



History would suggest otherwise..

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: