It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:10 am

Ospreylia 2017? 
Regional Junior Player

Post Ospreylia 2017?
If Wales were to revert to a team of 13 ospreys plus two others (like 2008) would that be a better team than the one the pragmatist in chief, Howler, is likely to pick? Take the team the ospreys team from Saturday, there are three non Welsh players in it, chuck in keels Giles on the wing, two places up for grabs (prop and centre).

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Ospreylia 2017?
redpodrhys wrote:
If Wales were to revert to a team of 13 ospreys plus two others (like 2008) would that be a better team than the one the pragmatist in chief, Howler, is likely to pick? Take the team the ospreys team from Saturday, there are three non Welsh players in it, chuck in keels Giles on the wing, two places up for grabs (prop and centre).

You're trying to start a fight now aint you :twisted:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

You think a team playing in the Challenge Cup can match up to international teams?

Ata minimum, you need Faletau, Scott Williams, North, Rob Evans, a tight head and another centre, plus Warburton.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

redpodrhys wrote:

That team would concede 70pts+ against Eng/Sco/Fra.

It would be entertaining though, and with all your NDCs, perhaps you should leave the rest of us keep our international players this year

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
redpodrhys wrote:

That team would concede 70pts+ against Eng/Sco/Fra.

It would be entertaining though, and with all your NDCs, perhaps you should leave the rest of us keep our international players this year

Whilst it is a naive post to say the least if such a scenario were to occur... Again, as it has happened previoulsy, would the other 3 be happy with their reduced compensation from the WRU. I somehow think not, which is why the Dragons situation is increasingly untenable. If Uncle Pete wants more money perhaps he should look closer to home at the cosy arrangement the 4 currently enjoy and divi up the money the Dragons receive for their less than productive contribution to the Wales cause!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:33 pm
International Player

Langland Exile wrote:
You think a team playing in the Challenge Cup can match up to international teams?

That misses the point - the Ospreys had a bad season last time round due to the large number of call-ups for the World Cup, several injuries and a large number of then inexperienced young players. Looking at England's latest Test selections, the bulk of the team seem to come from Saracens, Wasps, Harlequins and Bath - the latter two teams also in the Challenge Cup. However, in answer to the OP's question, I don't think the Ospreys are such a force as they sort of were back in 2008 (though they are on the road to being so again, now that their younger players are getting noticeably better), so it would have to be more of a balance of feeder teams.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Short answer no

If I were using a blank bit of paper and putting together a side based on my own opinion I would be selecting from all the regions with some players from England

No doubt ospreys are going well but they have some weaknesses

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

That misses the point - the Ospreys had a bad season last time round due to the large number of call-ups for the World Cup, several injuries and a large number of then inexperienced young players. Looking at England's latest Test selections, the bulk of the team seem to come from Saracens, Wasps, Harlequins and Bath - the latter two teams also in the Challenge Cup. However, in answer to the OP's question, I don't think the Ospreys are such a force as they sort of were back in 2008 (though they are on the road to being so again, now that their younger players are getting noticeably better), so it would have to be more of a balance of feeder teams.

Why ask the question if you already know the answer? Need a hobby?

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:29 pm
Regional Junior Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Short answer no

If I were using a blank bit of paper and putting together a side based on my own opinion I would be selecting from all the regions with some players from England

Well likewise, probably bring in Hibbard, other form players, but the point is how would they fare against the selections, Howley was making during the Autumn.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

redpodrhys wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Short answer no

Well likewise, probably bring in Hibbard, other form players, but the point is how would they fare against the selections, Howley was making during the Autumn.

Big difference in fitness levels at the elite level, and intensity of play...that why the team that wins the European Challenge Trophy is usually not a factor in the subsequent season's Champions' Cup ;)

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm
World XV Player

Evans
Giles
John
Roberts
North
biggar
webb

smith
baldwin
r jones
awj
brad
lydiate
tipuric
king

obviously not a 1st choice team, but in the spirit of the thread, that's a better team than i reckon mcbryde will put out in the summer.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

mr messy wrote:
Evans
Giles
John
Roberts
North
biggar
webb

smith
baldwin
r jones
awj
brad
lydiate
tipuric
king

obviously not a 1st choice team, but in the spirit of the thread, that's a better team than i reckon mcbryde will put out in the summer.

For me
Evans, Giles,Beck, SCOTT WILLIAMS, Howells??, Davies, Webb, Smith, Parry/BAldwin, ROB JONES, AWJ, Brad, Tips, Cracknell, Baker.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If and when Ospreys deliver it might be a question worth anserwring.

Ospreys been shit since for ever.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
If and when Ospreys deliver it might be a question worth anserwring.

Ospreys been shit since for ever.

But it is fair to say that they have been the best performer in Wales. Therefore, it is a valid discussion to consider them as our main source of 8nternational players.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Biggar
Giles
Beck
S WILLIAMS
NORTH
S Davies
Webb
King