It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:39 pm

scotland v wales 2017 advice 
Mini Player

Post scotland v wales 2017 advice
Looking for some advice as despite being a Welsh rugby fan I haven't been to Scotland for a number of years.

However I have told me lovely partner that we will go this year....she is thrilled (she's English lol)

Stayed near haymarket in the last but looking for some advice where to stay and best place to be before and after the game....

Any advice welcome

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: scotland v wales 2017 advice
Should have booked by now.... Sorry but youll be lucky to get in now without paying silly prices.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:17 pm
World XV Player

I've only been to Murrayfield once, what surprised me was how far the stadium is from the centre and any pubs. Not that I have a great deal of experience but I would say that staying out of Edinburgh somewhere with a train station would be just as good.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
I've only been to Murrayfield once, what surprised me was how far the stadium is from the centre and any pubs. Not that I have a great deal of experience but I would say that staying out of Edinburgh somewhere with a train station would be just as good.

The stadium is a distance from the cente but not very far from many a hostelry, if you know where to go ;) but good advice about staying further out, especially given timeframe, but even that may prove troublesome!

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 pm
World XV Player

Edinburgh is a great day out but the ground isn't in the town centre like in Cardiff so just familiarise yourself with the buses and trains and give yourself plenty of time.

I would prefer to stay in Edinburgh city centre as that's where the best pubs are and use the transport in and out. Edinburgh isn't particularly cheap so make sure your well budgeted. Although not expensive as Dublin!

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

There are some nice pubs doing B&B by Bristol airport, you can commute by plane easier than trying to find anywhere in Edinburgh :D

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
There are some nice pubs doing B&B by Bristol airport, you can commute by plane easier than trying to find anywhere in Edinburgh :D

Best advice so,far :D

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 pm
World XV Player

The hotels in Edinburgh are always expensive only more so for the Wales games , if the weather s good it's a pleasant,if long walk from citycenter to the ground , any pub will be full and expensive , a good trip is the usual outcome, not sure if I would take my wife though.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Right, some myth blowing coming at ya! Edinburgh is a busy tourist city all year round, it gets worse when Scotland are playing Wales,( its the only time they will actually sell out Murrayfield). The pubs are not expensive, well not any more so than any city centre esatblishment, if you go into hotels however, then be prepared to pay premium prices, similarly gazebos/tents set up on the main drag to the ground! It will be cold, its *fupping* Feb its cold in Wales as well :D If you havent booked early, and I mean at least 10-12 months in advance tou are going to struggle, you may get lucky, but as said earlier this is a big day out on the rugby calendar, you may get lucky, well done, but don't expect to be able to book on demand, I Struggled to get rooms back in Apr for the RCC games in May This year due to there being a Marathon and International conference of some tree huggers going on, being able to reserve and cancel without paying is now making things worse. So good luck if you can get somewhere, but my advice is take Grimps suggestion at this juncture.
Happy hunting :D

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:05 pm
World XV Player

Ive been up twice and both times stayed in the city centre.
Getting closer to kick off, there are plenty of people walking to the stadium so just follow them (I didn't have a clue where I was walking, I just followed). It didn't seem to be that far away, and was a fairly pleasant stroll. Although i was plenty inebriated so it could have been a 3 hour yomp for all I know?!

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:53 am
Profile YIM
World XV Player

What I found strange was that the pubs near Murrayfield were hotel bars. I queued up for a pee, and realised that the queue was to an en suite hotel room. As we got nearer, the people queueing were sitting politely on the end of the king size bed. When I made it to the loo, two lads waiting behind me shuffled side by side and peed in the shower! Needless to say they were Welsh.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
What I found strange was that the pubs near Murrayfield were hotel bars. I queued up for a pee, and realised that the queue was to an en suite hotel room. As we got nearer, the people queueing were sitting politely on the end of the king size bed. When I made it to the loo, two lads waiting behind me shuffled side by side and peed in the shower! Needless to say they were Welsh.

That is taking hospitality to a whole new level :shock:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm
World XV Player

I'm staying at the Murrayfield Hotel this year , the door to my room will be firmly locked!!!

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
I'm staying at the Murrayfield Hotel this year , the door to my room will be firmly locked!!!

Not far to rock up from there jim :clap:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:15 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

That is taking hospitality to a whole new level :shock:

Some people will pay others to do that to them over here.. ;)

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 pm