It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Who shall win the Six Nations? 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Who shall win the Six Nations?
Troron wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
I think England's bubble will burst in this competition and they could end up losing away games in Paris and Dublin.

The absence of B Vunipola is a massive blow to them, he was outstanding in the last 6N.

Ireland
France
England
Wales/Scotland (dependent on outcome of game at Murrayfield)
Italy

The last time England lost more than 1 game was 2010 and now you are predicting that off the back of the 2nd most successful year in English rugby history? Obviously it is possible but it doesn't seem to be based on anything.

I agree. England have more resources and genuine strength-in-depth than most other teams combined. And LOL at putting France ahead of England, as if this were 2007 and not 2017.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm keeping powder dry, I think France will improve their standing and may be 3rd.
They certainly ain't there yet but there is progress cue the ABs game and Aus where they may well have won.

The mood is good and the National team better privileged.

There seems to be a better cohesive team game plan and more emphasis on attack.

On verra :D

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
I'm keeping powder dry, I think France will improve their standing and may be 3rd.
They certainly ain't there yet but there is progress cue the ABs game and Aus where they may well have won.

Keeping your powder dry by saying exactly what you think! :D

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think events in the wider cosmos have told us that predicting anything is full of uncertainty, so any calls are going to be pure conjecture and as with the BoE economist chap this morning, we are left with nothing but best guesses and best guesses are England or Ireland for the title and Wales may only have one or two wins.

If that happens, one safe prediction however is that Howley and friends will not be going anywhere.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Keeping your powder dry by saying exactly what you think! :D

Maybe the extent of the improvement has been disguised in the statement ;)

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am
World XV Player

yeah i thinks France will be one too watch this year, but I wouldn't right Wales off either.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:07 pm
Regional Junior Player

Troron wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
I think England's bubble will burst in this competition and they could end up losing away games in Paris and Dublin.

The absence of B Vunipola is a massive blow to them, he was outstanding in the last 6N.

Ireland
France
England
Italy

The last time England lost more than 1 game was 2010 and now you are predicting that off the back of the 2nd most successful year in English rugby history? Obviously it is possible but it doesn't seem to be based on anything.

It is based on something.........hope :thefinger:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 am
Profile E-mail

Hilljills wrote:
Troron wrote:
Hilljills wrote:

Ireland
France
England
Italy

It is based on something.........hope :thefinger:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment :thefinger:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

That's why the English sing "Land of Hope and Glory"? ;) :D

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Langland Exile wrote:

As I have said before, England have unrivalled wealth, resources and player numbers in rugby not matched by anyone - not New Zealand, not South Africa, not France, no one. Therefore, leaving aside the 2000-03 period, the fact that they haven't been more successful than has been the case is actually quite shameful.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Langland Exile wrote:

Touche, although your song is actually miswritten, it was inbred of Heaven :thefinger:

Ah the old if England win it's because we have all the resources and if we lose we are under performing. Don't you just love situations where, win or lose, you get no credit. Yeah England have under performed but having a player base x times larger does not mean you will win x times more. Although the under performing is when you look at winning cups. When you look at how many games each team has won, England have actually won the most and also have the greatest consistency. I think we will see England winning the 6N more now that we have a proper system in place feeding youth through and also have some proper coaching.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Touche, although your song is actually miswritten, it was inbred of Heaven :thefinger:

Ah the old if England win it's because we have all the resources and if we lose we are under performing. Don't you just love situations where, win or lose, you get no credit. Yeah England have under performed but having a player base x times larger does not mean you will win x times more. Although the under performing is when you look at winning cups. When you look at how many games each team has won, England have actually won the most and also have the greatest consistency. I think we will see England winning the 6N more now that we have a proper system in place feeding youth through and also have some proper coaching.

As the game really gets more "professional" it is inevitable.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 pm
World XV Player

If the pyramid is bigger, then the apex will be too.

England do have inbuilt advantages and it does surprise me when they underachieve badly. Of course they will not be great / very good all the time but that have more chance of being so if they have more players. does not mean it is demeaning them, it is a simple statement of fact.

Their chances have been enhanced by having a clutch of talented players at this time, but again their numbers always make it more likely than with Wales.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 pm
Profile E-mail

buglet wrote:
If the pyramid is bigger, then the apex will be too.

England do have inbuilt advantages and it does surprise me when they underachieve badly. Of course they will not be great / very good all the time but that have more chance of being so if they have more players. does not mean it is demeaning them, it is a simple statement of fact.

Their chances have been enhanced by having a clutch of talented players at this time, but again their numbers always make it more likely than with Wales.

Once you get to a certain point things like the system and coaching matter more than the size of the player base. If you want a perfect example, look at British dominance in cycling. For 12 years now we have been doing extremely well yet our base of cyclists is FAR lower than a lot of other nations. In fact GB Olympics as a whole highlight how proper systems and coaching count for a lot more than simple population at the top level. England may have a lot more players but how many are playing at top club or international level? It isn't that much more than many other countries. For years we've had substandard coaching and a completely disjointed and directionless system with no proper feed through of young talent, hence after 2003 we had effectively a "missing generation", we were behind the curve. Now the RFU and clubs are pulling in the same direction more than ever with Lancaster laying the foundations for better cooperation between club and country and Eddie Jones demanding more to achieve his goals. U20's are now feeding into clubs and the national side better and the Saxons may become a proper "A" team rather than something randomly thrown together from time to time with no real objective except to make some money.

I will admit we have achieved less than we really should with our resources, I just won't accept dismissing it when it finally does work as an inevitability that should happen anyway.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Agree with all that but at the other end, would add that England's numerical and resource advantages means they will never get as bad as Wales did or Scotland have been at times. That said, there were other reasons with Wales but England are better able to withstand poor organisation and management.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next