It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Who shall win the Six Nations? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Who shall win the Six Nations?
the problem I get with Ireland is they don't like being favourites.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

ireland on points wont be much between them and england wales will be battling for th ewooden spoon with italy

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

cardiffkid wrote:
wales will be battling for th ewooden spoon with italy

Which still overlooks the fact that Scotland and since 2011 France have been consistently poor during the 6N.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Well I'd say one of England or Ireland, although as us English know all to well, things can not go to plan. Personally I would have preferred to go in with other teams underestimating us, we very rarely lose when our opposition think all they have to do is turn up. Then again I'm not sure who could beat us. Ireland are prime contenders to do this but we've beaten them 5/6 times and on the whole actually had a much better year than Ireland did, the AB games have hidden the fact that Ireland actually did not perform well this year. Drew to Wales, lost to England, lost to France, lost to SA twice, lost to NZ. Their win against Australia was far from convincing too. I just don't buy the hype, 1 win against the ABs does not a good team make, again England know this too well.

So I'll go for England to win with a reasonable chance of a slam if we have more of our internationals back and on form. I also rate our young talent above any of the other 6N sides.

1 - England
2 - Ireland
3 - Wales
4 - Scotland
5 - France
6 - Italy.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:

1 - England
2 - Ireland
3 - Wales
4 - Scotland
5 - France
6 - Italy.

Looks about right, unless Wales win their home fixtures.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am
Regional Player

England's full team = grand slam.

Injuries will be huge. Ireland are the same, their full team will trouble anyone and their game in Twickers is massive last weekend.

Wales have the easiest start. Away to Italy doesn't get much easier (aside from Italy home!!) and, to have any chance, need to put a big score on them. Bonus point there is vital.

Italy will finish last, the bonus point will hurt them as they don't score trys. Scotland are improving and will be a very tough game away for us. Scotland could beat us and France.

Purely based on Autumn:

1) England
2) Ireland
3) France
4) Scotland
5) Wales
6) Italy

All could change. Please pick Keeland Giles et al, and see what some on form and younger guys can do. Moriarty is a prime example of dropping a out of form donkey like Lydiate and picking a young, on form player.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Last Ireland game is at Aviva, still massive though (potentially). ;)

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:11 pm
World XV Player

One thing I have learned is that it is difficult to predict the 6N.

On current form England are just ahead of Ireland and then there is a gap to the others but form does get upset in these tournaments and unlike some on here it seems, I will not say Wales cannot beat England at Cardiff as they absolutely can. England are pretty warm favourites though.

Equally, it is quite possible Wales could lose four this year unless there is a a marked improvement on the Autumn form, where apart from Australia, we got away with it. I am enough of an optimist to think this is certainly also possible.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

buglet wrote:
One thing I have learned is that it is difficult to predict the 6N.

On current form England are just ahead of Ireland and then there is a gap to the others but form does get upset in these tournaments and unlike some on here it seems, I will not say Wales cannot beat England at Cardiff as they absolutely can. England are pretty warm favourites though.

Equally, it is quite possible Wales could lose four this year unless there is a a marked improvement on the Autumn form, where apart from Australia, we got away with it. I am enough of an optimist to think this is certainly also possible.

Actually, I think Wales have a better chance against Ireland rather than England.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

najbritcol wrote:
Actually, I think Wales have a better chance against Ireland rather than England.

Are you saying
a) the Wales have a better chance of beating Ireland than England have of beating Ireland
or
b) that Wales are more likely to beat Ireland than to beat England
or
c) both?

There is a definite unpredictability about games between Wales and Ireland going back to the 80s.
Home advantage doesn't seem to come into it.

It's not a great sign on the face of it for Wales when Cardiff is a ground with good associations for Irish teams both provincial and National (Heineken Cups, grand slam).

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

I'd agree that England are the favourites for the 6N.
But England going for a Grand Slam and 19th win in a row, in Dublin on Patrick's weekend, would be massive motivation for the Ireland team even if we weren't in contention for the title

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail

pythagoras wrote:
I'd agree that England are the favourites for the 6N.
But England going for a Grand Slam and 19th win in a row, in Dublin on Patrick's weekend, would be massive motivation for the Ireland team even if we weren't in contention for the title

I'd imagine going for a 2nd grand slam and setting the record for longest winning streak could be even more motivation...

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

pythagoras wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Are you saying
a) the Wales have a better chance of beating Ireland than England have of beating Ireland
or
b) that Wales are more likely to beat Ireland than to beat England
or
c) both?

There is a definite unpredictability about games between Wales and Ireland going back to the 80s.
Home advantage doesn't seem to come into it.

It's not a great sign on the face of it for Wales when Cardiff is a ground with good associations for Irish teams both provincial and National (Heineken Cups, grand slam).

I meant (b).

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

I think England's bubble will burst in this competition and they could end up losing away games in Paris and Dublin.

The absence of B Vunipola is a massive blow to them, he was outstanding in the last 6N.

Ireland
France
England
Wales/Scotland (dependent on outcome of game at Murrayfield)
Italy

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Hilljills wrote:
I think England's bubble will burst in this competition and they could end up losing away games in Paris and Dublin.

The absence of B Vunipola is a massive blow to them, he was outstanding in the last 6N.

Ireland
France
England
Wales/Scotland (dependent on outcome of game at Murrayfield)
Italy

The last time England lost more than 1 game was 2010 and now you are predicting that off the back of the 2nd most successful year in English rugby history? Obviously it is possible but it doesn't seem to be based on anything.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next