It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Valuable ABs expected in europe ... 
World XV Player

Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Thegrimriper wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.

Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.

Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.
Percy brought the fans through the gate, the board fupped the club.

I don't disagree in the slightest :-)

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Fingal wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.

Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.

Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.

Yeah the one region I'd criticise for having too many foreigners - mainly South Africans in their case - is in fact the Dragons. (Carl Meyer and Sarel Pretorius are OK, but do they really need the others?) The other regions not really. And as for this forum's beloved Irish provinces: Connacht would barely exist without foreign players; Ulster have done well in no small measure thanks to Ruan Pienaar and have made Jared Payne an Irish international; Leinster heavily rely on Isa Nacewa especially during international periods and also seem to like Jamison Gibson-Park a lot; Munster have made CJ Stander an Irish international...

Ruan Pienaar great servant to Ulster but can you name a decent standard international scrumhalf that Ulster have produced since he was there? And no I don't mean Paul Marshall who only got capped because Ireland at the time had no one else. One of the main reasons why Pienaar is getting let go is that the production of scrumhalves from Ulster has dried up since he came to the province because he dominates play time so much.

Very true. My point is that (a) Welsh clubs are not the only ones who bring in foreigners for often vital positions and (b) considering all the praise that the Irish provinces have been getting in this forum especially when compared to the Welsh regions, I was trying to show that their success isn't 100% due to homegrown development either.

N.B. In my previous post, I forgot to add Tyler Bleyendaal as a key foreign player for Munster.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Dan Carter has not been a roaring success at racing IMO

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 pm
World XV Player

Was very much so in his first Season, was that catalyst for Top14 Championship win and Euro Champs Cup losing finalist (he left the match early and was carrying an injury anyway)

They are, however, the pits this Season in both events.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Tony Panties wrote:

Was very much so in his first Season, was that catalyst for Top14 Championship win and Euro Champs Cup losing finalist (he left the match early and was carrying an injury anyway)

I watched that European Champions Cup final, and found it rather boring. Not a single try scored, and basically each team relying on the other to make mistakes. But yes, Racing 92 have declined considerably this season compared to the previous one, ironically beginning to mirror their Parisian rivals Stade Francais' fall from grace between 2015, when they won the Top 14, to only just surviving relegation in 2016.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

I watched that European Champions Cup final, and found it rather boring. Not a single try scored, and basically each team relying on the other to make mistakes. But yes, Racing 92 have declined considerably this season compared to the previous one, ironically beginning to mirror their Parisian rivals Stade Francais' fall from grace between 2015, when they won the Top 14, to only just surviving relegation in 2016.

Did u watch the Top 14 final in front of 100k gate? Excellent game to watch.

The quality of the final is somewhat irrelevant when one is considering the performance to get there and, as mentioned, Carter was largely absent.

Stade Francais circumstance not an issue in this thread?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:48 pm
Regional Player

Well no surprise Munster rules out Smith.

Irish Indo
Quote:
Munster director of rugby Rassie Erasmus has emphatically denied the province are trying to sign New Zealand international Ben Smith.

The South African said his recruitment priority lies with securing Irish-qualified players and stated that there is absolutely no truth in the reports in New Zealand that the province are leading the chase for the 60-times-capped full-back's signature.
The World Cup winner's contract is up in 2017 and he is attracting interest from Europe where he would command a yearly salary of €750,000 or more.

Munster were the only side named in the reports about Smith's future, but Erasmus has denied that the player is on their radar.
"We are constantly looking for Irish-qualified players," he said.

"One of my briefs is to get Irish-qualified players well coached and available for Joe (Schmidt). All four provinces are the same and Ben Smith is obviously not Irish-qualified, so that's not true."

Farrell(Grenoble), JJ Hanrahan(Northampton) and Hart(Racing92) are all linked with heading to Munster next season.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We should stop cheque book Charlies coming to Wales and go for home grown talent. Invest in Wales not in the Bank of New Zealand.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

SimplyRed wrote:
We should stop cheque book Charlies coming to Wales and go for home grown talent. Invest in Wales not in the Bank of New Zealand.

There are only five Kiwi rugby players in Wales I can think of - Johnny McNicholl and Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Brendon Leonard and Kieron Fonotia (Ospreys), Jarrod Hoeta (Blues). If anything the South African migration is of much bigger concern - just look at the squads of Saracens, Montpellier or indeed the Dragons, for starters.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

South African's are like refugee's looking for a new home and should be welcomed. They are not mere mercenaries looking for a greater pay cheque.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:43 pm
Profile E-mail

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
South African's are like refugee's looking for a new home and should be welcomed. They are not mere mercenaries looking for a greater pay cheque.

That depends on the individual. I am sure you'll find a mixture of both types.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

our development systems are no where near good enough to even consider doing that

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm
World XV Player

Yep and past best by a ways

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

There are only five Kiwi rugby players in Wales I can think of - Johnny McNicholl and Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Brendon Leonard and Kieron Fonotia (Ospreys), Jarrod Hoeta (Blues). If anything the South African migration is of much bigger concern - just look at the squads of Saracens, Montpellier or indeed the Dragons, for starters.

None of top shelf either, all prob wouldn't start super 12, (I'm not count the useless SA Nd Aussie teams any more.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

still too many foreign players from other countries.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next