It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Valuable ABs expected in europe ... 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 9451
Post Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
1.5m euros has been mentioned for Ben Smith from Munster and other N Hemp Clubs ...

Cruden and Dagg to follow ? and contracts unlikely to be renewed by NZRFU?

e;g a couple of days ago

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/black-smith-c ... 11492.html

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:36 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30127
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
You can understand why these players would come to Europe, the long term benefits for financial security of their future outweighs the badge, sign of the times.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7063
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Are they that good though? What I mean is, for that money would ten players at less money be better spent?


Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 9451
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Cymru am byth wrote:
Are they that good though? What I mean is, for that money would ten players at less money be better spent?


Take your point but 10 is pushing it :scratch: ;) ;)

Teams that can pay that money want specifics and it will be offset by the size of their sponsorship and potential side benfits too...

e.g Image rights can be 'manipulated' ;) ;)

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:56 pm
Profile
Regional Player

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:57 am
Posts: 570
Location: Leinster
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Munster doesn't have that money to spare, only getting back on there feet financially. Then I doubt Nucifora would OK the deal. Munster already have IQ Chris Farrell from Grenoble lined up and strong rumour that JJ Hanrahan is returning from Northampton. Good to see Munster back among the elite for transfer rumors do.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 58546
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Tony Panties wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Are they that good though? What I mean is, for that money would ten players at less money be better spent?


Take your point but 10 is pushing it :scratch: ;) ;)

Teams that can pay that money want specifics and it will be offset by the size of their sponsorship and potential side benfits too...

e.g Image rights can be 'manipulated' ;) ;)


The AB's sum as a whole is better than the individual parts added (if that makes sense), so my guess is that teams can overpay for players. Not sure players like Beale are that much better than the NH equivalents, but they can add some numbers to the gate, or pay per view..

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm
Profile
thread ruining clique
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Posts: 18198
Location: Dinbych
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Thegrimriper wrote:
You can understand why these players would come to Europe, the long term benefits for financial security of their future outweighs the badge, sign of the times.

Once the money starts getting silly, players will start leaving. I imagine it would take a lot to tempt an AB away from an international career, but with the figures being bandied about nowadays they're going to have a tough decision to make.

_________________
With all the will in the world,
Diving for dear life, when we could be diving for pearls.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11298
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Are they that good though? What I mean is, for that money would ten players at less money be better spent?


Take your point but 10 is pushing it :scratch: ;) ;)

Teams that can pay that money want specifics and it will be offset by the size of their sponsorship and potential side benfits too...

e.g Image rights can be 'manipulated' ;) ;)


The AB's sum as a whole is better than the individual parts added (if that makes sense), so my guess is that teams can overpay for players. Not sure players like Beale are that much better than the NH equivalents, but they can add some numbers to the gate, or pay per view..



I'd agree 100% its the cohesion of their play rather than their individual brilliance/impact. Although there are examples.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm
Posts: 5495
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
The bottom line is that they'll be earning big money to the detriment of player development in the cash strapped Celtic Unions.

As much as they'll be a delight to watch and attract paying punters through the gates they wont inspire our players who have been mule headed stubborn in developing an attitude towards winning.

The few extra through the gates wont change the main reason for Welsh Rugby's financial problems ... only players with a 'no surrender' attitude can do that.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87669
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.

_________________
Vote Covfefe

RIP Sean Spicer: "sometimes you can disagree with the facts" Awesome.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:10 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 1659
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.


Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm
Posts: 5495
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
najbritcol wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.


Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.



Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 1659
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.


Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.



Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.


Yeah the one region I'd criticise for having too many foreigners - mainly South Africans in their case - is in fact the Dragons. (Carl Meyer and Sarel Pretorius are OK, but do they really need the others?) The other regions not really. And as for this forum's beloved Irish provinces: Connacht would barely exist without foreign players; Ulster have done well in no small measure thanks to Ruan Pienaar and have made Jared Payne an Irish international; Leinster heavily rely on Isa Nacewa especially during international periods and also seem to like Jamison Gibson-Park a lot; Munster have made CJ Stander an Irish international...


Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30127
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.


Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.



Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.
Percy brought the fans through the gate, the board fupped the club.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:57 am
Posts: 570
Location: Leinster
Post Re: Valuable ABs expected in europe ...
najbritcol wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Crap

its the complete abortion we have that is holding back development

The Prem being the biggest problem.


Let us not embellish this. The Ospreys and Scarlets have each got two Kiwis and the Blues have one. It is hardly the end of the world, and certainly not a huge hindrance on development. (What do you make of the vast numbers of Kiwis and other foreigners in French clubs then?) In fact, it is widely acknowledged that Mike Phillips' career developed considerably thanks to the tutelage and help offered by Justin Marshall at the Ospreys, to use one crucial example. Marty Holah and Jerry Collins were also good influences on the team.



Oh bloody hell .. 'Let's not embellish this'? Brave man and fine words. :-)

I used to like it when Percy bounced his ball off of the roof at Rodney Parade ... thump! 1 2 3 ... dumpff! Brilliant it was.

Didn't do too much for the Club though .. still a decade behind.


Yeah the one region I'd criticise for having too many foreigners - mainly South Africans in their case - is in fact the Dragons. (Carl Meyer and Sarel Pretorius are OK, but do they really need the others?) The other regions not really. And as for this forum's beloved Irish provinces: Connacht would barely exist without foreign players; Ulster have done well in no small measure thanks to Ruan Pienaar and have made Jared Payne an Irish international; Leinster heavily rely on Isa Nacewa especially during international periods and also seem to like Jamison Gibson-Park a lot; Munster have made CJ Stander an Irish international...


Ruan Pienaar great servant to Ulster but can you name a decent standard international scrumhalf that Ulster have produced since he was there? And no I don't mean Paul Marshall who only got capped because Ireland at the time had no one else. One of the main reasons why Pienaar is getting let go is that the production of scrumhalves from Ulster has dried up since he came to the province because he dominates play time so much.


Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: