It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Over rated players in international teams. 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Over rated players in international teams.
spinbreath wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Manu Tuilagi - injured far too often and doesn't do much beyond being a rather crude battering ram.
Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate - usually good at tackling but not much else.
Jamie Roberts - some combination of all of the above.
Jonny Sexton - again, injured too often and I'd argue nowadays that Paddy Jackson is a better all-round player.

Lydiate and Warbs - when on song - are part of one of the best back rows in rugby. Chop tackle and jackel. Add Taulupe for his guile and subtlety and you've got the perfect unit.

The crucial part is 'when on song', which a lot of the time isn't really the case. And even when they are, like I said their skills don't go far beyond tackle, tackle, tackle.

God. If only you loved your country and stopped wishing everything was greener on the other side of the fence.

No need to throw that back at me. The point is there are genuinely good players in the regular Welsh team - Gethin Jenkins (I think he is immortal and will live longer than even the cockroaches), Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau, Liam Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Biggar and perhaps Rhys Webb and Scott Williams. However, I am not sure if the ones I first mentioned really count as such too.

I don't get people's problem with Warbs. He's a genuinely class 7, perhaps one of the best in the world, but we want him dropped because someone else is more exciting/plays for our preferred club.

Actually, would it be too far-fetched to suggest that Tipuric and Roberts could swap positions? Get Tipuric to do all the passing and try-scoring at centre, while Roberts can tackle tackle tackle when Warburton is subbed off.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quote:
Manu Tuilagi - ..............................................
Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate - .......................................
Jamie Roberts -...............................................
Jonny Sexton - ..............................................
To refer to these players as overrated reflects very poorly on najbritcol's judgement for mine.

Reckon at their respective peaks they'd all have made an AB squad (my benchmark!).

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:26 am
Profile E-mail

Goann wrote:
Quote:
Manu Tuilagi - ..............................................
Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate - .......................................
Jamie Roberts -...............................................
Jonny Sexton - ..............................................
To refer to these players as overrated reflects very poorly on najbritcol's judgement for mine.

Reckon at their respective peaks they'd all have made an AB squad (my benchmark!).

Their reputations are rather better than their current form though.

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Manu Tuilagi - injured far too often and doesn't do much beyond being a rather crude battering ram.
Sam Warburton and Dan Lydiate - usually good at tackling but not much else.
Jamie Roberts - some combination of all of the above.
Jonny Sexton - again, injured too often and I'd argue nowadays that Paddy Jackson is a better all-round player.

Regarding Sexton: your first assertion is true; your second is amiss by a mile.
In any event, Carbery is the rising star at fly-half.

Sean

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

have Mike Brown or Ashton been mentioned

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Fids the Blindside wrote:

To be overrated you need to be rated, very few have rated Ashton as an international for years. Even when he was in the team he wasn't rated. To think we used to have wingers like Ashton and now we have the likes of Watson, May and Nowell (I'd add Rokoduguni but he won't ever play for England again, despite being a class act). Brown is overrated, he is incredibly selfish and though he seemed to be getting his mojo back a bit with his runs, he doesn't have long left for England. The big question is who will replace him, there doesn't seem to be any attempt to blood a long term replacement.

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

why won't rokoduguni play for england again?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

Troron wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:

To be overrated you need to be rated, very few have rated Ashton as an international for years. Even when he was in the team he wasn't rated. To think we used to have wingers like Ashton and now we have the likes of Watson, May and Nowell (I'd add Rokoduguni but he won't ever play for England again, despite being a class act). Brown is overrated, he is incredibly selfish and though he seemed to be getting his mojo back a bit with his runs, he doesn't have long left for England. The big question is who will replace him, there doesn't seem to be any attempt to blood a long term replacement.

Surely Goode as a short term option but long term Watson moving from wing.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Are these posts referring to overrated as a whole or currently, going by many here I would need to add all rugby player who have played international rugby as at one time or other all have had a poor game :occasion5:

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail

CymraegJanner wrote:
why won't rokoduguni play for england again?

None of the management like him for reasons they won't divulge, they create bullshit excuses that everyone knows are flat out lies. He was dropped after his first appearance against NZ, where he kept Savea quiet all game because he is "defensively weak". NZ weren't able to get anything up his wing the whole game. He was dropped again after the game against Fiji for the same reason because the Fijians scored a try on his wing. Next game Yarde goes and royally *fups* up defensively on the same wing also letting in a try and conceding lots of ground, this after a game where he took a player in the air, no mention of his defence.

Rokoduguni was also topping 5 stats in the Aviva I believe at the time (Defenders beaten, meters made, tries scored, clean breaks and tackle success rate I think) and he has frequently topped them for years now. When you've got that all on your side but still barely get selected except when there are 3 injuries ahead of you and get dropped instantly, it says you aren't going to play for England.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Hartly is over rated as a player, yet so many people will lie and cheat for him, that he might not be such a bad player after all ;)

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 am
Mini Player

Fekitoa, only in the All Blacks because of injuries. Once Moala, SBW, Ngatai and Ranger are fit he will be 7th choice in the midfield. He should look at overseas options

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Dolamite wrote:
Fekitoa, only in the All Blacks because of injuries. Once Moala, SBW, Ngatai and Ranger are fit he will be 7th choice in the midfield. He should look at overseas options

Totally agree

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Nah mate, Fekitoa ain't number 7.

Have you've forgotten Rieko Ioane?

It's hard to see Charlie Ngatai and Rene Ranger returning.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

v

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:15 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next