It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Scrum Half and Fullback Problems 
Mini Player

Post Scrum Half and Fullback Problems
These 2 positions look seriously worrying to me.

Scrum Half - this worries me the most
Laidlaw - too slow
Webb - erratic
Murray - Ok playing a certain type of game - generally involving box kicking and sniping around rucks near the tryline - but not really one to get the backs moving.

but also
Fullback
Hogg- on his day, brilliant at running in open space but can be horrible under pressure as he was today
Halfpenny OK -ish but since his injury pretty uninspiring.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Scrum Half and Fullback Problems
graham_t wrote:
These 2 positions look seriously worrying to me.

Scrum Half - this worries me the most
Laidlaw - too slow
Webb - erratic
Murray - Ok playing a certain type of game - generally involving box kicking and sniping around rucks near the tryline - but not really one to get the backs moving.

but also
Fullback
Hogg- on his day, brilliant at running in open space but can be horrible under pressure as he was today
Halfpenny OK -ish but since his injury pretty uninspiring.

Welcome,

Good points. Think we were all aware deep down how poor the 9's could be but were probably in denial. This morning brought it more into focus.

Even Ben youngs could have been hit or miss.

Think Murray is clear favourite for the tests.

Full back is not so concerning. Don't expect Hogg anywhere near the test team, especially when he gets targeted in the proper games.

And there's always Liam Williams & Watson plays there for bath.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

To be fair Robson and Wigglesworth would have more of an impact than Greg or Rhys, not one 9 out there is going to bother the ABs at all.

Halfpenny is laborious, ineffective and a shadow of his former self, Hogg at least offers more but once again would not worry the ABs. However if another choice is Mike Brown then to be fair they are the best of an average bunch. Liam Williams and Watson are better choices.

Picking players on reputation and not on form is more damaging. Warbs, Haskell, AWJ, even North (who is shown during the premiership season he is not one of the best wings in the league, let alone in the NH this year) will hold little fear for New Zealand. There is no psychological edge.

What worries me more is that this is a team selected by Gats and one that will be forced to play his style that is proven to be out of date in todays game with a embarrassment of a coach in Howler, coupled with a core of Welsh players in senior roles that only know defeat when it comes to the All Blacks. He has brought a style that neither bothers not concerns an invitational baba's team, who of the tour should of been the weakest opponents. Imagine what the pro clubs and ABs think!

I love the Lions, but I feel Gatland is going to only damage his own CV by his decisions from the moment he was handed a second tour. I can only see a 3-0 hammering coming. And what saddens me the most is that I am more concerned that the England Lads come back unscathed and not negatively affected by what will be a damaging tour. That is not something I should be thinking of at all!

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

To be fair Robson and Wigglesworth would have more of an impact than Greg or Rhys, not one 9 out there is going to bother the ABs at all.

Halfpenny is laborious, ineffective and a shadow of his former self, Hogg at least offers more but once again would not worry the ABs. However if another choice is Mike Brown then to be fair they are the best of an average bunch. Liam Williams and Watson are better choices.

Picking players on reputation and not on form is more damaging. Warbs, Haskell, AWJ, even North (who is shown during the premiership season he is not one of the best wings in the league, let alone in the NH this year) will hold little fear for New Zealand. There is no psychological edge.

What worries me more is that this is a team selected by Gats and one that will be forced to play his style that is proven to be out of date in todays game with a embarrassment of a coach in Howler, coupled with a core of Welsh players in senior roles that only know defeat when it comes to the All Blacks. He has brought a style that neither bothers not concerns an invitational baba's team, who of the tour should of been the weakest opponents. Imagine what the pro clubs and ABs think!

I love the Lions, but I feel Gatland is going to only damage his own CV by his decisions from the moment he was handed a second tour. I can only see a 3-0 hammering coming. And what saddens me the most is that I am more concerned that the England Lads come back unscathed and not negatively affected by what will be a damaging tour. That is not something I should be thinking of at all!

Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

I read the first sentence and had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April the 1st and I'd forgotten to get my sister a birthday card

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:18 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Robson and Wigglesworth would be left field selections, but they are IMHO more affective 9's than the current international NH options. Robson is untested at this level especially, but then so is The sink. When you
Look at our home country current choices, Rhys, Laidlaw, Youngs, Care none of them really offer that little something extra that would draw the ABs concern. Murray is the strongest 9 but to be truely affective you need 2 9,s capable of providing 80 minutes of threat, fast service and control, we certainly do not have that option available to us.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Laidlaw is a better player than shown yesterday and sexton is clearly a lot better. Webb is a decent player. I don't think robson or wigglesworth would add much more than the players selected. It is fine if you think they are good players but if just say wigglesworth played at 9 that would not be a seminal change and beat the All Blacks if performance is so poor across the board

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Laidlaw's performances for Gloucester have been equally uninspiring as he just keeps on shovelling out unimpressive passes to his outside half. Hardly ever makes or even tries a break and is too slow when on the rare occasions he attempts to do so. Robson moved to get more regular game time is one of the best players in the Aviva. Far superior to Laidlaw. Still let us not be hastiy in casting doubt on scrum halves in present squad. Webb can be a match winner.

As for full back the choice must be between Halfpenny and Liam Williams. Yes Halfpenny past his best in open play but invaluable as first choice or second choice kicker. If not full back Williams must be picked on wing. Lions yesterday looked pedestrian and William never looks to be in that category.

If as Gatland said Laidlaw would have been in first squad announced if it wasn't for injury then that shows his lack of judgement.

Watching the Lions play yesterday reminded me of, the all too often performances of the Welsh team. Gatland imposes a straight jacket which does not always fit.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I like wigglesworth & Robson, and also think Simpson offers a significant threat with his pa e off the bench. But while they're not getting g picked for England I can see how they can get picked for the lions?

None of those even make the 2nd choice team to Argentina this summer

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:28 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

this is a team selected by Gats and one that will be forced to play his style that is proven to be out of date in todays game...

Yes - and more of that to come when he - the world's highest paid rugby coach, so it has been said - gets back to Wales.

Up the middle stuff, bunched and narrow.

ABs will only have to pass it out wide at speed to get round Lions and score.

Normal poor northern hemisphere player skill-sets on show, too.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:35 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There are threads and there are threads and then there is this turgid mess.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

A single question from a new poster .....

Will he respond to responses?

:wtf:

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:57 pm
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

Warbs & AWJ had great 6N tournaments, and north while admittedly average for some of the games, was world class against ireland

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

wombles wrote:

The Lions Tours do not come free. What you identify above is just a small part of the cost paid for your consumption of this outdated and sentimental vanity project.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail