It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 27  Next
Lions Tour of New Zealand 2017 
World XV Player

Post Re: Lions Tour of New Zealand 2017
Langland Exile wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
tyleri82 wrote:
Ultimately, Gatland has a picture of how he wants to play in New Zealand and how he thinks the All Blacks and the Provinces will be beaten.

Clearly a discussion was had regarding Russell and it was concluded they need a more defensive 10. It is evident that a more physical approach is desired at lock forward for the purposes of this game plan.

When you consider that there is barely any time for preparation, the team need to hit the ground running with an already established game plan. There is no time for tweaking or experimenting. With this in mind, it is entirely reasonable to suggest that Gatland is entitled to select which players he believes he can work with to deliver this.

He has selected a squad that fits into this framework, he has chosen specific players that he/the coaches believe will execute this.

Sentiment has to be taken out of the equation.

We are going to play Super Rugby sides and the All Blacks with a scratch team. That is a huge problem.
If we wanted to win the series we should have scrapped the Six Nations, picked the Lions off the back of the Autumn internationals, and had training camps and warm up games in February/March.
Now I think it is best to see it as a rugby PR exercise.

As a rugby exercise, the tour is idiotic. Taking players who are still hitting lumps of each other in domestic play offs and asking to then to play the best in the world with 7-10 days rest and little preparation is complete stupidity.

Still money talks, and the AB's are well known for stacking the deck on and off the field and taking/creating any psychological edge which is one of the reasons I admire them so much.

The test team will be based around English and Irish players primarily and I would doubt there will be more than 1 or 2 Welsh players in the test side. The Scots did not figure as it would be difficult to assimilate a midweek side also, when the focus will be the first 23, and so it was easier to take 7 or 8 Welsh players as the core of the midweek team.

The Scots are moaning, as they always do, but the 60 points at HQ left a scar. Glasgow won't make the Pro 12 play offs. In their case, the sum was better than the parts.
It really doesn't matter who you pick, as without a 4-6 week preparation and build up period, added to the strain of travelling and the stress of a tour, it will be 3-0 as Gatland as the coach not Eddie Jones, who was smart enough to say no.

From a Wales point of view, this means that Gats may be coming back after all.

As I see it Gats has definitely picking a few Welsh players who would probably not have got a look in had Eddie Jones or Vern Cotter accepted the Lions coaching role, so I'm sure you're right in that.
Also agree though that 7 or 8 players of the Welsh players should slot easily into the midweek team, and their knowledge of Gats methods and systems arguably makes them a sensible, practical choice for that role.
And to me Moriarty looks to have been picked at least party with an eye on the RWC 2019... :D

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm
Junior Player

yes we had a terrible game against england,they were good we were shite,we pumped wales and beat ireland and humped italy,who have wales humped lately,we beat japan twice away ,yous nearly got beat at home against them,we beat argentina and got beat by a point against australia,yet yous think its ok 12 welsh 2 scots,get a grip

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

bazzmo wrote:
say that when theres no welsh,then i will believe ye ,mon the all blacks,scotland will be supporting ye

Clearly the novelty of being Home Alone is wearing thin :thefinger:

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

rugbydan wrote:
bazzmo wrote:
a team ranked 5th in the world gets 2 players going with the lions a team ranked 8th gets 12,you can dress it up anyway you want its wrong

Yeah but 1 season doesnt mean shit. You beat misfiring welsh and ireland teams but got royally rumped by england. it doesnt mean you have the best players. Would agree the scots representation is low though.

As the old saying goes. Wales got no No stregntfff in depthffff mun :cheers:

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm glad to see Seymore there though. Very industrious winger, good things happen around him.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm
World XV Player

bazzmo wrote:
yes we had a terrible game against england,they were good we were shite,we pumped wales and beat ireland and humped italy,who have wales humped lately,we beat japan twice away ,yous nearly got beat at home against them,we beat argentina and got beat by a point against australia,yet yous think its ok 12 welsh 2 scots,get a grip

You really didn't 'pump' Wales :D

Wales were on top for the first 40 but struggled to put points on the board (common theme tbf). Second half Scotland played a blinder and Wales capitulated

There are a few players that possibly deserve to go and I'm sure they were in the discussion, the trouble is those players were in positions where there's a load of depth and quality players.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Also Wales were quite unlucky to have lost against england .. it was one of those flukes. And as for France, well that was just bloody plane cheating. So the 6N's standing's aren't really a good guide

Gat's wan't players who don't cave is the simple reality.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Gats wants players who don't argue with him. Those surplus Welsh selections are there to cushion him from dissent in the Lions tour party should(when) things go pear shaped.

Hartley isn't going because as the current England captain he would stand up to Gats - nothing to lose as Eddie not Warren is his boss. Warburton will give the interviews and won't give Gats any grief because in the end it's Gats that determines whether he gets picked for Wales. Same goes for the rest of the Welsh players.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

bazzmo wrote:

Correct punctuation is lovely, also it's understandable having an accent by why on Earth do you feel the need to type in an accent?

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Has any list of standby players been announced?

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
Has any list of standby players been announced?

whoever books a holiday in Oz, NZ or maybe touring down that way gives a heads up to that

Dai Young anyone :D

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm
World XV Player

bazzmo wrote:

Please learn to speak English. Yes the tour is about preparing 2 teams to play a certain way.

When did Italy "hump" Wales?

Long live Hadrian :thumbup:

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
bazzmo wrote:

Please learn to speak English. Yes the tour is about preparing 2 teams to play a certain way.

When did Italy "hump" Wales?

Long live Hadrian :thumbup:

It was actually Vespasian who was behind the II Augustan's antics in Britain. Hadrian was around a little later when we were already stuffed.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scotland capitulated against England in hq. For me that was their opportunity to make history. They were dry humped. We had a poor six nations but we werent as bad as a 60 pointer. Its this inconsistency that raises more questions about their performances. They have some good players but Lions tours demands you play away and go to places like hq and dont collapse.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 pm
Mini Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Also Wales were quite unlucky to have lost against england .. it was one of those flukes. And as for France, well that was just bloody plane cheating. So the 6N's standing's aren't really a good guide

Oh really!?

So the inability to close out the game against England in the last few minutes was unlucky?

I see it more as poor game management, indicative of a team who can't carry out a game plan

Whinge all you want about France but it wasn't 'plain' cheating, it was relentless pressure in the closing minutes of a match and Wales didn't carry out their game plan to prevent it.

So.........'Gat's 'wants players who don't cave in'.... BUT .....two games lost in the last few minutes when players 'caved in'?

The All blacks won't stop at 70 minutes!!!!!

I rest my case

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 27  Next