It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Calcutta cup 2018 
World XV Player

Post Re: Calcutta cup 2018
Well in Scotland :occasion5:

Really enjoyed that, especially Eddies post game interview :thumbright:

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD
Hilljills wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
John Barclay almost ripped Princess Anne’s arms out their sockets.

She put up more of a fight for possession than the English back-row.

:D

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
John Barclay almost ripped Princess Anne’s arms out their sockets.

She put up more of a fight for possession than the English back-row.

:D

:kermit:

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:42 pm
Regional Player

Well as a hugely proud Englishman i doff my hat to Scotland, there is no "we played badly...we were innacurate....if we only did this...the ref shoulda pinged that" excuse. Scotland are formidable at home recently, and they played a corker today! Isolated our carriers, jackled well, nullified our attack and penetrated our attack! They absolutely deserve their win, and it would be disengenuous to detract from their win in anyway.

I also love the fact a competitive Scotland team are back, it is great for 6 nations and great for the oldest test in rugby!

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Here are the highlights, butty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43149178

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Well as a hugely proud Englishman i doff my hat to Scotland, there is no "we played badly...we were innacurate....if we only did this...the ref shoulda pinged that" excuse. Scotland are formidable at home recently, and they played a corker today! Isolated our carriers, jackled well, nullified our attack and penetrated our attack! They absolutely deserve their win, and it would be disengenuous to detract from their win in anyway.

I also love the fact a competitive Scotland team are back, it is great for 6 nations and great for the oldest test in rugby!

Well said Wombley. I do not understand the attitude to Scotland from some on here, ranging from dismissive to outright patronising. Am glad they are a good side once more.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43162908

Calcuta Cup highlights.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Regional Junior Player

Just about come down off the ceiling and when you factor in the humping in Cardiff which left me on the carpet then that’s the full vertical extent of the front room.

Previous Scotland sides would have folded after a big beating in round 1 and a dreadful first quarter against France but these boys have dug it out.

Given a very limited playing resource then we’ll probably never win a grand slam again but there’s no reason why we can’t compete at top of 6N table and reach semi-finals of world cups. The form of Glasgow, Edinburgh and our U20’s beating England last night is encouraging.

Always thought England might turn it round in 2nd half, they are a very good side but away wins in 6N are hard to come by.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Hilljills wrote:
Just about come down off the ceiling and when you factor in the humping in Cardiff which left me on the carpet then that’s the full vertical extent of the front room.

Previous Scotland sides would have folded after a big beating in round 1 and a dreadful first quarter against France but these boys have dug it out.

Given a very limited playing resource then we’ll probably never win a grand slam again but there’s no reason why we can’t compete at top of 6N table and reach semi-finals of world cups. The form of Glasgow, Edinburgh and our U20’s beating England last night is encouraging.

Always thought England might turn it round in 2nd half, they are a very good side but away wins in 6N are hard to come by.

I had the same feeling about Wales, in Dublin, TBH.

Sean

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

buglet wrote:
wombles wrote:

Well said Wombley. I do not understand the attitude to Scotland from some on here, ranging from dismissive to outright patronising. Am glad they are a good side once more.

Yep. Well said Wombles. Scotland were on fire today.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm
Junior Player

Scotland had obviously watched the England v Wales game and improved it. The Welsh targeted the breakdown and either slowed ball down or got turnovers. The difference this week was the Scottish back line were quicker to attack and therefore the English defence was unable to get back into line.

This shows up the lack of pace in the Englaish pack, something that still needs to be addressed.
Too many of the forwards were starting from a standing position with no power, excellently patrolled by the Scottish back 5.

Next up the French will be a totally different proposition, much more up the English street and a lack of fitness will play into their hands, so I wouldn't expect many changes to the squad.

The main issue will be the Ireland game where changes will be needed to cope with a fitter and faster team.

My team would be
15. Brown (still the only real option as Watson is not good enough under high ball)
14. Nowell (much higher work rate than either May or Watson, needed to take pressure off forwards)
13. Slade (Joseph keeps slowing things up, looking for the gap, Slade, offers greater variety and can get width on attack better,see 10/12 below)
12. Te'o (would swap with Slade as necessary, provides power and offload currently missing with no Billy)
11. Watson (better skill set than May and nearly as quick)
10. Farrell (need more control especially at beginning)
9. Wigglesworth (as above for Farrell)
1. Vunipola (really developing, improving scrummaging)
2. Hartley ( but needs to step up the 'dog' as this is why he is in the team, to provide some aggression)
3. Williams (Cole has had it looked completely washed up)
4. Launchbury (another looking good)
5. Lawes (KISS process for him, give him a simple focus and tell him not to do anything else, his best work is done when he keeps quiet and let's his work rate in tackling and go forward do the talking)
6. Itoje (in back row has greater impact with his natural leg speed for a forward)
7. Underhill (there needs to be more competition at the breakdown)
8. Hughes (another couple of weeks he will be getting fitter and have more impact)

Finishers
16. George (tough call but better this way round as his speed will be better in last quarter)
17. Marler (difficult decision but just squeezes it)
18. ??? Can't remember the replacements name from Argentina tour sorry)
19. Kruis
20. Robshaw (should only come on for Hughes unless injury)
21. Care (see George reason)
22. Ford (only needed if game becomes looser)
23. May (see Ford)

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Scotland had obviously watched the England v Wales game and improved it. The Welsh targeted the breakdown and either slowed ball down or got turnovers. The difference this week was the Scottish back line were quicker to attack and therefore the English defence was unable to get back into line.

This shows up the lack of pace in the Englaish pack, something that still needs to be addressed.
Too many of the forwards were starting from a standing position with no power, excellently patrolled by the Scottish back 5.

Next up the French will be a totally different proposition, much more up the English street and a lack of fitness will play into their hands, so I wouldn't expect many changes to the squad.

The main issue will be the Ireland game where changes will be needed to cope with a fitter and faster team.

My team would be
15. Brown (still the only real option as Watson is not good enough under high ball)
14. Nowell (much higher work rate than either May or Watson, needed to take pressure off forwards)
13. Slade (Joseph keeps slowing things up, looking for the gap, Slade, offers greater variety and can get width on attack better,see 10/12 below)
12. Te'o (would swap with Slade as necessary, provides power and offload currently missing with no Billy)
11. Watson (better skill set than May and nearly as quick)
10. Farrell (need more control especially at beginning)
9. Wigglesworth (as above for Farrell)
1. Vunipola (really developing, improving scrummaging)
2. Hartley ( but needs to step up the 'dog' as this is why he is in the team, to provide some aggression)
3. Williams (Cole has had it looked completely washed up)
4. Launchbury (another looking good)
5. Lawes (KISS process for him, give him a simple focus and tell him not to do anything else, his best work is done when he keeps quiet and let's his work rate in tackling and go forward do the talking)
6. Itoje (in back row has greater impact with his natural leg speed for a forward)
7. Underhill (there needs to be more competition at the breakdown)
8. Hughes (another couple of weeks he will be getting fitter and have more impact)

Finishers
16. George (tough call but better this way round as his speed will be better in last quarter)
17. Marler (difficult decision but just squeezes it)
18. ??? Can't remember the replacements name from Argentina tour sorry)
19. Kruis
20. Robshaw (should only come on for Hughes unless injury)
21. Care (see George reason)
22. Ford (only needed if game becomes looser)
23. May (see Ford)

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:22 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

https://rugbyonslaught.com/police-set-i ... 0-minutes/

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It's a little bit strange but I think Wales didn't take Scotland seriously in Murrayfield last year after leading at half time and lost, and the reverse happened this year in Cardiff.

I suspect England thought all they had to do was show up yesterday, and look what happened.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:49 pm
World XV Player

Brizzle wrote:
handbags before the game!

between Wilson and Farrell ...is being investigated ...alteraction in tunnel after warm up brfore the match

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next